The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2018, 01:00 PM

I'm not sure they can claim "thinnest coating in the industry" as Santa Cruz uses "vapor coating". How much thinner can you get than vapor????
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-20-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I’ve tried to like D’Addario strings but they turn my fingers black. I hope the coating prevents it. I’ll stick with Elixirs and Martins in the meantime.
lol, Elixirs do that to me but not the D'addario strings. It's funny how to me the different reactions of strings to players.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default D'Addario Beta Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I'm not sure they can claim "thinnest coating in the industry" as Santa Cruz uses "vapor coating". How much thinner can you get than vapor????

Vaporized vapor? [emoji3]

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-20-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Vaporized vapor? [emoji3]

Best,
Jayne
Oh oh, the secret's out!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-20-2018, 03:47 PM

Just approved for this testing.....done it several times over the years, something fun to do and forces you to get some extra playing time in.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 09-20-2018, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

I’m loving them so far. [emoji4]
Old 09-21-2018, 08:39 AM

Default D'Adderio Beta testing

D'Addario sent me some EXP16DCB. I'm assuming these are light guage. I don't have a guitar that uses light guage, so wondering what to use them on. My OM uses 19's, my Dread uses mediums. Only guitar I can think of using these on is my wifes little Larrivee. We'll see.....
Old 09-21-2018, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Texas View Post
Mine came in the other day. They say EXP11 something or other. I sure hope that doesn't mean they are 11's. I feel obliged to keep them on for the month that they ask and I really don't want to play 11's. I haven't opened the package yet.
These are the ones I got - EXP11DCB. Looking at the D'Addario website, the current EXP11 set is 80/20 Bronze, 012-053, Light Gauge, so I expect this beta set will be the same.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-22-2018, 08:58 AM

I received mine a couple days ago and put them on my Martin DRS2. EPX16DCB is the model #. At first they had a very harsh sound, almost too abrasive but then after letting them sit for about 5 minutes they mellowed out very nicely.

It's been a while since I've used the "old" EPX16 strings so I can't say if they have less string noise but I THINK they have less. At the very least, I'm not too bothered by the string noise I'm hearing so far.

So far I'm liking them a lot but it is early yet...

Best,
PJ
Old 09-22-2018, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyson View Post
D'Addario sent me some EXP16DCB. I'm assuming these are light guage. I don't have a guitar that uses light guage, so wondering what to use them on. My OM uses 19's, my Dread uses mediums. Only guitar I can think of using these on is my wifes little Larrivee. We'll see.....
I got the same ones. I use mostly lights anyway as I no longer have dreads. I think most acoustics can take lights.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:39 AM

Just got selected for Beta testing Elixir strings,
Anyone else get the email from them?
I applied and was selected...again! :-)

Congratulations! You’ve been selected to become a guitar strings product tester.

As a strings product tester, we will mail you a free trial set of .012-.053 gauge, 80/20 bronze acoustic guitar strings to the address you provided in your online survey. We will be mailing these trial sets and you should receive them within the next 2 weeks.

Once you receive your trial set, please put them on your acoustic guitar and try them out! Once you’ve had a chance to play them for about a week, we ask that you complete a brief 5-minute online survey at the address printed on the cover letter with your trial set.

At the end of the 4 week trial period, we ask that you complete a second brief 5-minute online survey at the address printed on the cover letter with your trial set.

Once you have completed the survey the strings are yours to keep!

Thanks again, and we look forward to hearing your feedback!
2004 Taylor 214
2011 Taylor GC4
1964 Fender Stratocaster
1965 Fender Jazz Bass
Fender Twin Reverb
Old 09-22-2018, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Abrahamson View Post
Just got selected for Beta testing Elixir strings,
Anyone else get the email from them?
I applied and was selected...again! :-)

Congratulations! You’ve been selected to become a guitar strings product tester.

As a strings product tester, we will mail you a free trial set of .012-.053 gauge, 80/20 bronze acoustic guitar strings to the address you provided in your online survey. We will be mailing these trial sets and you should receive them within the next 2 weeks.

Once you receive your trial set, please put them on your acoustic guitar and try them out! Once you’ve had a chance to play them for about a week, we ask that you complete a brief 5-minute online survey at the address printed on the cover letter with your trial set.

At the end of the 4 week trial period, we ask that you complete a second brief 5-minute online survey at the address printed on the cover letter with your trial set.

Once you have completed the survey the strings are yours to keep!

Thanks again, and we look forward to hearing your feedback!
I am a players club member. How does one apply to be a beta tester?

Thanks!

Eastman AC630BD --The Hot Blonde
Taylor 317
Rickenbacker 620 Midnight Blue
Yamaha FG700 (lives in Miami for family visits)

"Son, don't wait till the break of day, 'cause you know how time fades away..."
Old 09-23-2018, 08:19 AM

Default D'Adderio Beta test update

Installed the EXP16DBC strings on my Collings OM-42G. Not sure as to why they sent a light guage set as I normally use EXP-19's on the OM and Mediums, (EXP-17) on a Collings Dred. The only guitar in the house that uses light guage is my wife's small Larrivee. Anyway, my impressions so far are.
Slightly less fingering noise;
Stiffer feel. I bend the snot out of strings and these are deffinately stiff in feel.
Slightly brighter than the EXP-19's. Could be due to the lighter guage.
Jury is out so far. If I had to choose right now, at this time I'd prefer the standard EXP's.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I put the EXP16DCBs on my Wingert E - 12 fret deep body grand concert. To my ears on this guitar, they sounded full and balanced right out of the gate. They felt stiffer than the EXP16s that I have used before and still felt rough to me. String noise seemed just about the same to me maybe a hair less. The trebles feel more like the trebles that I tried from the Santa Cruz sets - nice, fat feel - but the wounds feel rougher and stiffer. There was a brilliance that I enjoyed with the Santa Cruz strings that I had tried on this guitar that I miss. These strings seem closer to that tone than regular EXPs. I am looking forward to hearing how they settle in over the next several weeks.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-24-2018, 11:26 AM

Another set arrived for steel string. Installing them today.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion