The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-01-2018, 11:41 AM

Thought I'd show you guys what I went with (for now - still might get a Helix FX or similar later).

It's a simple board, with two "routes" - one for my mandolin, and the other for the electric.

For the mandolin, it's a Polytune > JJB preamp > ABY > Baggs Para DI

For the electric, it's a Pitchblack > EHX Soul Food > EHX Small Clone > TC HOF Mini > ABY > Baggs Para DI.

It all fits in a small case (an old aluminum briefcase I had laying around). I built a power supply by linking six 9v batteries in parallel and wiring them to DC plugs I scavenged from old power supplies from the parts bin at the thrift store. For the Baggs I wired up leads to take the place of the 9v since the compartment is no longer easily accessible. The batteries are rechargeable 600 mAH Li ion units from EBC. Works great, and it's convenient not to have to deal with plugs and wall warts.

Pics to show the build:

'77 Gurian J-R C series
'82 Alvarez-Yairi DY-53 "Silver Harp"
Ibanez AG-95 DBS
70s Ibanez 511
Old 09-01-2018, 02:02 PM

Sweet rig. Looks great! Don't forget that you can power that Baggs DI off the house mixer's phantom power if you use the XLR out.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Sweet rig. Looks great!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Don't forget that you can power that Baggs DI off the house mixer's phantom power if you use the XLR out.
I do use the XLR out, but our rig at church doesn't have phantom power (at least not to the part of the stage where I need to be). So, it needed hacking.

'77 Gurian J-R C series
Ibanez AG-95 DBS
70s Ibanez 511
Old 09-10-2018, 06:47 AM

I play electric/acoustic lead at our church after evolving from a backup acoustic player. Its been a process that made me feel like Goldilocks, "this pedal board is too hot, this one is too cold..." Where I think I've finally landed is my present board built around a Baggs Venue DI XLR'rd out to the sound booth. I've got Reverb/Delay/Chorus/Distortion in my effects loop with a volume pedal before it all. Like PTony, I had a compressor in the mix that caused more problems than it solved and I took it out about two months ago. I haven't missed it yet.

Since you're just starting out on this path I would recommend less is more to start. I really went down a rabbit hole on this one and it made things more confusing. Buy piece by piece and get a handle on each one as you add to your setup. Each player is different so one setup that you may see might not work for your style. Really try to get in touch with what you want that style to be and set your board accordingly. Best of Luck! :-)

ps. And if I might add, don't skimp on your wiring. Nothing worse than a noisy board.
-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 09-16-2018, 12:03 AM

I played with this setup last week, and got a few positive comments on the tone (including from our other electric guitarist). I even did my first lead line - so I guess I'm a real electric guitarist now.

When it comes to wires, are you talking about the power supply wires, or the patch cords between the pedals? Either way, the board as it sits is quiet, so I'm happy with it.

The only things I might add would be a delay (though I don't really know how to use one, yet) and maybe a volume pedal.

'77 Gurian J-R C series
Ibanez AG-95 DBS
70s Ibanez 511
Old 09-16-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel_bc View Post
I played with this setup last week, and got a few positive comments on the tone (including from our other electric guitarist). I even did my first lead line - so I guess I'm a real electric guitarist now.

When it comes to wires, are you talking about the power supply wires, or the patch cords between the pedals? Either way, the board as it sits is quiet, so I'm happy with it.

The only things I might add would be a delay (though I don't really know how to use one, yet) and maybe a volume pedal.
Congrats on your first lead line! I remember my first after playing rhythm for years, gosh I was scared. What I mean by wires are all the wiring in and around your board. I was getting noise here and there and ended up replacing all my patch cords and such with more high end wiring, like Mogami. What I'm trying to say by all that is don't skimp with budget wiring, it'll come back and bite you. Best of luck!
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 09-16-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay7347 View Post
Congrats on your first lead line! I remember my first after playing rhythm for years, gosh I was scared.
Yep. I was terrified! But I didn't flub it, so it's all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay7347 View Post
What I mean by wires are all the wiring in and around your board. I was getting noise here and there and ended up replacing all my patch cords and such with more high end wiring, like Mogami. What I'm trying to say by all that is don't skimp with budget wiring, it'll come back and bite you. Best of luck!
The cords on the board are a mix of Mogami and Planet Waves. So far, so good. I might upgrade the PW ones later.

'77 Gurian J-R C series
Ibanez AG-95 DBS
70s Ibanez 511

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars