The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-01-2016, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations! I bet you are going to love it.

I played a couple dozen guitars at Woodsy's in Kent, Ohio today, and I was surprised to find that the 00-DB Jeff Tweedy, and a plain 00-15M were my two favorites! Both had a delightful combination of punch and warmth, without being overly boxy. The neck on the Tweedy was particularly yummy!

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 06-01-2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
I played a couple dozen guitars at Woodsy's in Kent, Ohio today, and I was surprised to find that the 00-DB Jeff Tweedy, and a plain 00-15M were my two favorites! Both had a delightful combination of punch and warmth, without being overly boxy. The neck on the Tweedy was particularly yummy!
Ed, that's funny. I'm surprised too. I took my 000-15 into Woodsy's about eight or nine years ago for fretwork. I've known Zig for many decades. He's a long-time Martin dealer, but he had no interest in having all-mahogany guitars in his shop. He said he just didn't get the mahogany top thing. Looks like he's selling them now.

OP, the Tweedy is interesting. It's sort of a combination of two of my guitars. I have a 000-15 and a custom 00-18 deep body. Both of mine are long scale. I think you'll like your choice.

opencee

Old 06-02-2016, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opencee View Post
Ed, that's funny. I'm surprised too. I took my 000-15 into Woodsy's about eight or nine years ago for fretwork. I've known Zig for many decades. He's a long-time Martin dealer, but he had no interest in having all-mahogany guitars in his shop. He said he just didn't get the mahogany top thing. Looks like he's selling them now.

OP, the Tweedy is interesting. It's sort of a combination of two of my guitars. I have a 000-15 and a custom 00-18 deep body. Both of mine are long scale. I think you'll like your choice.

opencee

Thanks for the input and advice folks. I really loved the sound of the 15s, much more than most Martins I played in the next rung up the ladder. Only thing was the neck was a bit too skinny for me, and the bass was a tad lacking. Though not absent by any means. The tweedy just seemed to cover all the bases I was looking to cover: all mahogany, chunkier neck, small body, bigger sound, and versatile. Not going to lie, the looks didnt hurt. Should be here Saturday and I plan on taking a three day weekend (birthday is on monday so Im olaying hookie) to play it and get acquainted. Looking forward to posting a review.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:42 PM

Congratulations, sounds like a great weekend. And you are right about the looks, IMO it is the best looking burst I have ever seen on a Martin. I will admit, I was initially drawn to mine by it's looks. If you decide to experiment with different strings, I like the D'Addario 80/20 light (EJ11's) on mine, once they settle in I feel they give me deeper bass and brighter highs. But have fun and congratulations on a great guitar.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Truck is out for delivery, she should be here pretty soon...
Old 06-04-2016, 05:13 PM

Well, where are the photos and review?

opencee

Old 06-04-2016, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opencee View Post
Well, where are the photos and review?

opencee

Havent had a chance to take the pics and do a full on review as I had to go out to dinner for my mom's and my birthday (same day). The guitar arrived about an hour before I had to leave, bit I was very pleased. Arrived in perfect condition, perfectly tuned, spot on ontonation. Flawless fit and finish, perfect action, it has a lot of the warm, sweet, and woody characteristics of the 15's but with some of the blusiness of the CEO7. Very well balance, although the higher strings (G through E) dont seem quite as lively as the lower 3. I think its probably the strings though. You can definitely get a sense of how the sound will evolve as it opens up and breaks in. Very versatile, I have done blues, some country, pop, a little jazz and it has performed well. I was worried it wouldnt do well with strumming but this thing can do jist about everything. Will post pics and a full review after I have had the night with her. Oh yeah, she is a STUNNER!
Old 06-07-2016, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Well, its been about three days and I am a bit torn. The guitar is beautiful, absolutely flawless, and plays effortlessly. Really excels at fingerpicking and sounds really good strummed with a flatpick. However, Im not sure it is going to be loud enough for my purposes, basically playing in two bands hanging with a big jumbo and a dread. Thinking I maybe shouldve gone with a 000. Going to play some tomorrow and think on it some. This is by no means a knock on this guitar. It is one of the sweetest sounding guitars I have ever played. Just maybe not quite as versatile as I first thought. [IMG]goo.gl/photos/XVpHVamLDVJ5BkjR9[/IMG]
Old 06-08-2016, 02:11 PM

If it were me, I'd go for the 000-15sm. But that's just my opinion.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Modli...23585177732114
Old 06-08-2016, 09:03 PM

As I watched this thread develop, I, too, thought that the 000-15sm might be the right guitar given your requirements. I've been blown away by the projection of that guitar when strummed. It keeps proving itself to be the most versatile and sweetest sounding guitar and is the one that I keep coming back to as my favorite.

I have the CEO-7 as well and I can tell you that the CEO can't hold a candle to the 000 when strumming. Don't get me wrong, the CEO is a wonderful finger picking dream machine and doubly so with nickle bronze strings. I've heard others produce really nice strumming from it -- but I cannot replicate that and I don't think that it's in the same league as the 000 in that regard.

I've not played a Tweedy and imagine it closes the gap between a CEO and a 000. But I cannot imagine being more impressed than with the 000-15sm with retros strung up.

Cheers and let's see the pics!
Old 09-25-2018, 09:35 PM

OP, did you keep the Tweedy?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion