The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2018, 11:03 AM

Last edited by KFord; 09-20-2018 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Removed some bbcode
Old 09-20-2018, 11:26 AM
Dan - Charter Member

I used Grover H97-18N for my AP70. The "N" is nickel-plated.

As both jaymarsch and I mentioned, there was finish in the holes, which made them bind, so we scoured them out. I used a 1/4" drill bit and some sandpaper on a screwdriver. The Grovers have thicker posts than the original tuners.

Also with mine the holes were not quite perpendicular on one side, so I had to put washers under one side of three tuners to prevent binding.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:28 AM

I briefly read through the other replies. While I'm not as familiar with the slotted headstock/classical style tuners, it is my opinion that tuning problems are rarely issues of the tuner, but other factors such as the nut. If a string or strings isn't able to move freely through the nut slot then there will be issues. Perhaps new Grover tuners might help your problem, but perhaps not as well. I would suggest you take your guitar to a well experienced technician and have him inspect the nut slots. I can't tell you how many guitars I've owned that needed nut slot adjustments. And I've never had tuners on any guitar, be it cheap or expensive that couldn't hold tune.

My 02¢ worth.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-20-2018, 05:51 PM

I just bought one for a friend of mine and I am suspecting it is because you have new strings or the change in temperature and/or humidity in your home is the culprit. Keeping it in the case will help.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:14 AM

Thumbs up

Sorry for the late reply (I hadn't set subscription mode for notifications) My reason for wanting to change is because grovers are way more precise; the original tuners aren't sticking or anything - they're just sloppy and a little inaccurate, I'm always over/under/over/under before getting the right note and don't get this with grovers.
Temp and humidity isn't really a problem here in the UK, house temp is between 19 and 27 all year round and humidity around 55%
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbert View Post
I used Grover H97-18N for my AP70. The "N" is nickel-plated.

As both jaymarsch and I mentioned, there was finish in the holes, which made them bind, so we scoured them out. I used a 1/4" drill bit and some sandpaper on a screwdriver. The Grovers have thicker posts than the original tuners.

Also with mine the holes were not quite perpendicular on one side, so I had to put washers under one side of three tuners to prevent binding.
Grover H97-18N it is then, and thanks for the tips too
Old 09-26-2018, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Late in finding this post but, yes, those are the Grover’s that I used.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion