The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Unfortunately, not all of us have that option. Amazon won’t ship batteries to Alaska, and as a result Batteries + Bulbs and other retailers really gouge us on battery prices.

I pick them up when traveling Outside. Otherwise I have to pay a LOT more.

Wade Hampton Miller
Wade, surely you have buds in the continental U.S. who can buy some batteries and ship them to you.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-24-2018, 06:24 AM

Default CR2032

Quote:
Originally Posted by semolinapilcher View Post
Thanks everyone.

I guess the lesson here is to get batteries from Amazon.
Since most Dollar Stores and similar carry these batteries I always have a couple of cards of them in the drawer.

Even thinking about rechargable batteries in tuners when these are so cheap just feels like overthinking it to me.

Just my less than humble opinion.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 09-24-2018, 06:29 AM

When I was a boy we didn't have tuners.

Now you kids get off my lawn [shakes cane over head]
Old 09-24-2018, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
When I was a boy we didn't have tuners.

Now you kids get off my lawn [shakes cane over head]
We used tuning forks we made ourselves from solid pieces of iron...and we liked it! Now what was I talking about .....?
Old 09-24-2018, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by semolinapilcher View Post
As a consumer, I (still) want a tuner that requires no battery purchases.
Hi Mike

So you want a tuner that you either have to return to the service center every 3-5 years to replace the rechargeable battery inside, or just toss it and get a new one?

Phone batteries only last 3-5 years depending on use, and tuners would presumably be in the same boat.

I buy clip-on tuner batteries a couple dozen at a time and use them for 3-5 years without them going belly-up (expiring).

I just keep a sleeve of 4 in each pick drawer.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-24-2018, 12:48 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Zackees-Recha...KS7XXM1CPN2693

According to the online reviews, the rechargeable batteries that come with this are crap, but some have had good success with buying namebrand rechargeables and using a unit like this. Might give this a try myself. I go through a ton of these and really don't like throwing away that many batteries.

I prefer recharging the battery on things to recharging the unit always, no matter what the device is. Actually works really well with phones too. Much more convenient than carrying around one of those charging things plugged into your phone.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:21 AM

Hmmmm a guitar tuner that has a re-chargeable battery that can be charged via usb is what your looking for? I have one of those.... it’s my phone! I always have it with me, is as accurate as any of the cheap clip-on tuners I’ve used, and can be charged almost anywhere these days!

Now if we’re taking electric that’s a different story! No substitute for a good quality pedal tuner for me.

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 09-25-2018, 10:24 AM

Before a gig you have too many things to do and adding recharging a tuner is not one that I want to add to that list. CR2032 batteries are cheap, have a long life and are easy to change. Life is tough enough to add more problems.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 09-25-2018, 11:32 AM

Perhaps I'm the only one who cares about an aspect of this, and that's why I'm going to bring it into the discussion: There are people who are less concerned about the cost of something than the waste it generates.

Yes, of course, clip-on tuners use tiny batteries that last forever, but they still generate waste that is anything but friendly to the environment.

Considering clip-on tuners cost (much) less than any of the guitar picks I use, I'd be happy to pay an extra buck for a tuner that includes a rechargeable battery.

Who's with me?

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 09-25-2018, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Perhaps I'm the only one who cares about an aspect of this, and that's why I'm going to bring it into the discussion: There are people who are less concerned about the cost of something than the waste it generates.

Yes, of course, clip-on tuners use tiny batteries that last forever, but they still generate waste that is anything but friendly to the environment.

Considering clip-on tuners cost (much) less than any of the guitar picks I use, I'd be happy to pay an extra buck for a tuner that includes a rechargeable battery.

Who's with me?
I hate going through those little batteries all the time. I don’t like generating the waste either.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post

Who's with me?
With you! If I could choose between a rechargeable and non-rechargeable Snark, I'd go with the rechargeable one any day of the week. Even pay a few bucks more for it. Just as some people seem to have lots of extra batteries, I've got plenty of charging cables around.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:53 PM

Default So far, so good.

I have been using this guy since March with no complaints: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1. Negative feedback regarding the tuner made me pay special attention to a possible complaint, a short recharging life. But I am recharging it only every two months despite keeping two nylon string guitars on the up-and-up for an hour or so every day.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:51 PM

You mentioned something that plugs into an iPad. Peterson tuners has a very nice app and you can either use it direct to the ipad or with a clip on mic that eliminates some of the background noise. I have both the app and the clip on mic and the app is really a thing of beauty. The clip-on doesn't get used as often, mostly because I play in controlled settings and can tune when others aren't banging on drums/bass/etc.

https://www.petersontuners.com/products/istrobosoft/
Old 09-26-2018, 12:17 AM

Kala makes one, here's the amazon link and the Kala link

I haven't used one but did see one at my local store. FWIW, for me the main advantage of any headstock tuner is when you are in a situation where there is noise or multiple players are tuning at once. I can still get my "A 440" and tune using harmonics from that but not on stage or when there is background noise. Yes, there are many places where you can get inexpensive batteries and if you remember to turn your tuner off they last a long time. The big thing is disposing of them properly. I just keep a zip lock bag for used batteries and take it to my local Batteries Plus store for proper disposal. (Many places will take rechargeable batteries but not regular ones.) Since I have hearing aids that have batteries that last about a week, (rechargeable hearing aids were not an option on the brand I use, and actually pretty hard to find) it doesn't take too long to need to make a drop off.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:25 AM

My wife is a professional classical musician. I bought her a LED stand light that can be plugged in or use batteries. At home she keeps rechargeable batteries in it but when she has a gig she will use only brand new alkaline batteries. It's not worth it to her to have the light not work even for a few minutes.

For a tuner that may or may not be as important. I prefer having replaceable rechargeable batteries like these for a tuner:
https://www.amazon.com/Li-ion-Rechar.../dp/B06XCSTSSV

That gives you the option of rechargeable batteries but you can plug in a brand new alkaline when you don't want to trust the rechargeable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion