The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2018, 06:23 AM

It was my understanding that a lot of the 1970's and 80's 'Alveraz-Yairi' guitars were laminate back/sides, with a solid top. Still great guitars though.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
It was my understanding that a lot of the 1970's and 80's 'Alveraz-Yairi' guitars were laminate back/sides, with a solid top. Still great guitars though.

All Alvarez and Yairi guitars are laminate back and sides except for the Masterworks lines. Yairi’s laminate process is very good, though I don’t think Alvarez uses the same process.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post

S Yairi guitars are quality guitars, but not as high quality as those by K Yairi.
Not sure what you're basing your opinion on, but I would put my S. Yairi up there with boutique quality. I often tell guitar-playing guests, 'It just might be the best guitar in the house.' I would recommend auditioning any one that's available. If it's reasonably priced, could be a real gem among gems.

Feather light, great tone, and flawless materials & craftsmanship.

Some posters refer to K Yairi as lam's, but I think there's quite a difference in tone wood's layered (off axis) and the more plywood-like lam's of many less expensive entry-level guitars. The layering of tone woods actually added to the cost of builds, and was done more to improve durability, without negative impact on tone/sustain/etc. -- imo.

+1 both K & S Yairi are great value -- especially in used market. Hard to find when you're looking, so maybe worth a little timely effort when they do occasionally pop up. Mine are keepers.

'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV

Last edited by Blind Dog; 09-25-2018 at 11:21 AM. Reason: sp.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousDevil View Post
Need specific models to compare.

Alvarez Masterworks, the highest quality all solid Chinese made guitars in the Alvarez line are fantastic guitars, but pale in comparison to the Japanese made K Yairi Guitars:
+1 for this.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Dog View Post
Not sure what you're basing your opinion on, but I would put my S. Yairi up there with boutique quality. I often tell guitar-playing guests, 'It just might be the best guitar in the house.' I would recommend auditioning any one that's available. If it's reasonably priced, could be a real gem among gems.

Feather light, great tone, and flawless materials & craftsmanship.

Some posters refer to K Yairi as lam's, but I think there's quite a difference in tone wood's layered (off axis) and the more plywood-like lam's of many less expensive entry-level guitars. The layering of tone woods actually added to the cost of builds, and was done more to improve durability, without negative impact on tone/sustain/etc. -- imo.

+1 both K & S Yairi are great value -- especially in used market. Hard to find when you're looking, so maybe worth a little timely effort when they do occasionally pop up. Mine are keepers.

We doing Yairis and Sportsters now? I’m game

IMG_6231.jpg
Old 09-25-2018, 09:05 PM

Here is the K. Yairi headstock of my RF-120, this is the domestic market Japanese brand.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Many (most?) of the K. Yairi domestic market guitars are solid wood, they don't use the "Masterworks" line designation. My RF-120 is in the "Angel Series".

Website: http://www.yairi.co.jp/ (use Chrome's translate feature).

I was just playing the RF-120 this weekend - several sessions experimenting with how a new arrangement sounded on my Bashkin GC and Carter Poulsen. While each guitar reaffirmed its own sonic traits and why I own each of them, I heard nothing that inspired organ rejection of the Yairi. In fact, I had the same reaction I always do after picking it up, which is I can't believe this guitar cost 1/5th of my Bashkin.

They do not sound the same, and Michael's guitars do some amazing things that I am personally willing to pay the extra $$$ for. But I would absolutely buy that guitar again, even if I had to lug it all the way from Tokyo to Kyoto and back by bullet train, multiple hotels and then finally risk the plane trip home.

I sold two excellent guitars this year, a Northwood MJ and my Avian Skylark. But I kept the RF-120. I agree with the other posters, if you find a screaming value Alvarez Yairi on the secondary market, don't shy away from trying or buying if it suits you.

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 08-06-2023, 10:08 AM

Default Top to bottom of S Yairi range?

Hi all

I acquired a lovely S Yairi 1974 'Concert' nylon acoustic made for B&M, and I love it (much cheaper than anything new in my budget and the build quality is amazing).

I was looking around at S Yairi classical nylon string guitars and see model names like 'Concert', 'Soloist' and 'Virtuoso' (there may be more in the line-up he made?) and I wondered if anyone knew of the meaning of the various names for the guitars in the S Yairi range from the 1970s?

Thanks for any info.
Old 08-06-2023, 10:52 AM

I have a Dy74 built in August of 1978

it's Faaaaaaabulous!!!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 08-07-2023, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

K. Yairi and Alvarez Yairi guitars are the same, but in the past the guitars had different model numbers. I believe the Yairi YW1000 and the A-Y DY-90 were the same guitar except for some bling differences, for instance.
Either way, they are excellent, very well made guitars. Many had laminate back and sides, but used parallel lamination of 2 layers of the same wood, unlike most which cross laminate different woods. Adds strength, but doesn't kill the resonance as much. The sound was not seriously compromised, imo.
I owned 3, a DY-90, DY-95, and a DY74. All very satisfying dreads.
Old 08-07-2023, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

My K Yairi is a 1982 YW 1000. I had it shipped from Japan after trying it out while in Osaka last year. Its in very good condition for a 42 year old guitar. YW 1000s of this era were copies of the Martin D 45.

Laminated BRW back and sides. The detail work on the binding, etc is of very high quality.

It plays beautifully. Reverb has them on offer frequently.
1982 K. Yairi YW1000 14 fret
Breedlove Oregon Concert 14 Fret
PRS Ten Top
Old 08-07-2023, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr356 View Post
My K Yairi is a 1982 YW 1000. I had it shipped from Japan after trying it out while in Osaka last year. Its in very good condition for a 42 year old guitar. YW 1000s of this era were copies of the Martin D 45.

Laminated BRW back and sides. The detail work on the binding, etc is of very high quality.

Congratulations on your find. Needless to say, it has stood the test of time. and as you say, they have great "modern" playability, which many older guitars do not have.
Old 08-09-2023, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr356 View Post

I recently acquired a 1974 K. Yairi YW800 model from TC Gakki in Japan. It has Jacaranda/Brazilian back and sides and a spruce top. Fabulous guitar!!

• Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 08-09-2023, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbee View Post
K. Yairi and Alvarez Yairi guitars are the same, but in the past the guitars had different model numbers. I believe the Yairi YW1000 and the A-Y DY-90 were the same guitar except for some bling differences, for instance.
Either way, they are excellent, very well made guitars. Many had laminate back and sides, but used parallel lamination of 2 layers of the same wood, unlike most which cross laminate different woods. Adds strength, but doesn't kill the resonance as much. The sound was not seriously compromised, imo.
I owned 3, a DY-90, DY-95, and a DY74. All very satisfying dreads.
Yes, the model numbers can be confusing. I own a mahogany Alvarez/Yairi DY45. Mine is a sunburst, but the non-burst version is a lot like like a Martin D18.

The K Yairi DY45 built for sale in Japan is a totally different animal . . . rosewood with plenty of ornamentation, closer to a Martin D45.

Gibson Refrigerator
Taylor Barometer
Martin Fishing Reel
Various guitars

Last edited by Big - Al; 08-09-2023 at 01:05 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion