The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-21-2018, 06:15 PM
Guest 928

Default old & new X10

As many of you know, Alistair is making me a new guitar. I have the X10 OSN and wanted to try some new stuff. Have any of you played the old and the new X10? I am particularly interested in body width--is the new 10 a bit more narrow?
Old 09-21-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
A Have any of you played the old and the new X10? I

Probably...someone must have one of each by now...old school center and new fangled offs sound hole thing you mean Unc?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-21-2018, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Oops. I misunderstood. Just like usual: ignore.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 09-22-2018 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Misunderstood the question.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
As many of you know, Alistair is making me a new guitar. I have the X10 OSN and wanted to try some new stuff. Have any of you played the old and the new X10? I am particularly interested in body width--is the new 10 a bit more narrow?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Probably...someone must have one of each by now...old school center and new fangled offs sound hole thing you mean Unc?
Uncle beseeching nephew for info only nephew has.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:54 AM
Guest 928

Nephew,

I had the old center hole10 and have a newer OS 10. My impression is that the newest 10 differs from the previous 10s in shaping and, perhaps size. It's the newest iteration that I am interested in. Thank you for any incoming info.

Jim;

Beseeching? If I beseeched my nephew he'd taunt me mercilessly. I'm trying to pull this off as a straight question with no beseechment.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Evan, are you asking about the thickness of the guitar, the distance from the outside of the soundboard to the outside of the back of the guitar?

I took these measurements just north of and adjacent to the endpin / strap button on the lower bout of the guitars:

2008: 1st nylon string X10, with center hole, 3 1/2 inches top to bottom. HOWEVER, the back of the guitar is curved, sort of bowl shaped. So, when I lay the guitar on its back on a table, attempting to adjust it so that the top surface, the soundboard, of the guitar is as parallel as possible to the table, then the distance from the soundboard to the table, and therefore the thickness of the guitar - distance from the back surface of the guitar to the front surface of the guitar - is almost exactly 4 1/8 inches

2018: Probably the 1st nylon string instrument of the newest iteration of the X10, 4 5/8 inches from top to bottom. And the back of the new X10 appears to be perfectly flat, NOT curved.

I hope that helps.

FWIW, for me, the new X10 is INCREDIBLY ergonomic, both when played sitting down or when standing up.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:07 AM
Guest 928

Cecil;

That's exactly what I was looking for--Thank you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber