The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-27-2018, 05:16 AM

Default Question about warmoth superwide necks

Has anyone put one of these on fender strats and what models of strats they will fit without any heartburn. MIM is most available and affordable to buy and convert to superwide but any help on other fender strat models that will fit. thanks jt
Old 08-27-2018, 07:50 AM

I've never actually done this with a Strat or with the wider-nut necks, but I've done it on Telecasters and it's the same deal.

Fit (strictly speaking) will not likely be an issue. The neck will fit the pocket.

You will have to adjust your saddle/bridge height and possibly work with the neck angle (shim) as well as set the truss-rod relief to your desired level.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-28-2018, 07:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwine View Post
Has anyone put one of these on fender strats and what models of strats they will fit without any heartburn. MIM is most available and affordable to buy and convert to superwide but any help on other fender strat models that will fit. thanks jt
Hi JT,
I recently put a Superwide Strat neck on an import slab Strat body. It actually fit much better than the superwide Cozart neck I happened upon a while back.

I ordered the Warmoth Superwide Strat neck with the boat-back profile & 6100 Dunlop wire. Aside from installing an adjustable neck angle system it was a snap.

The mounting hole locations were wrong, but wrong by enough that the factory holes needed no filling.

A clamp & 2 strings installed gave me the exact location for indexing, etc.

A word of warning: It's bigger than you can imagine, and in fact I'll be rasping the cheeks at some point soon, and believe it when I say I love large necks.

Of course it's not rocket science to shave it down with a rasp & sandpaper block, and I'll leave it strung while doing so......take a little, play a little, etc.

Formby's Tung Oil varnish did a great job on the finish, and it's very easy to do more coats with very minimum prep of the old finish.

Best,
Howard Emerson

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars