The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-18-2017, 04:37 PM

Smile Exercises to strengthen the fingers of the guitarists

Exercises to strengthen the fingers of the guitarists

Regards
Old 12-22-2017, 01:58 PM

The only exercise program for guitarist hands that I'd recommend is simply playing the guitar. No need for any specialized efforts. 😕
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 12-22-2017, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
The only exercise program for guitarist hands that I'd recommend is simply playing the guitar. No need for any specialized efforts. 😕
MY hands would argue with your recommendation.

I'm quite sure that had I regularly exercised my hands and made sure all the muscles got a workout, and not just the fretting muscles, I'd not be sitting here with a splint and the onset of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

I taught my left hand how to grip, and grip hard, and let me tell you - 30+ years of practice did a bangup job of teaching those muscles how to grip hard better than anything else that hand might do.

Stretch , at the very least, stretch those hands and fingers in the opposite direction, at minimum once an hour, or more often, while playing.

I am my own worst enemy sometimes, and I suspect I'm not alone.

good luck to us all - take care of your hands, it's pretty critical equipment for enjoying guitar playing.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 12-22-2017, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes for the vast majority. Also good guitar setup, comfortable guitar neck profile, perhaps playing on a short scale guitar. Try a warm up period and with some stretching (in moderation) if helpful. Of course consider medical treatment of issues such as arthritis and carpal tunnel.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-22-2017, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
It really all depends on your technique. I've seen plenty of players who will never get to the next level because their technique is severely holding them back. The problem is that they never realize it.

A well-thought-out exercise program addresses just these problems.

I came up with a series for Homespun Music Instruction called "Licks-ercises" that not only teaches proper technique, but all the exercises in the program are actually really cool licks that a player will utilize in all kinds of situations. In a very real way, it's pretty much what you're talking about: playing the guitar.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Here's what I do every day to stretch and strengthen my pinky;

Starting with the first finger on the third fret or what ever fret that you can spread your fingers over four frets play first finger sixth string then fourth finger sixth string, play down and back up. Then third finger fourth fret and fourth finger on the same fret as before down and up. Next third finger/ fourth finger again. Then I move to the first finger second fret, do again. Then first finger first fret.

Then I move up to the 12th fret and do a blues shuffle over 5 frets and move down one fret at a time until I can't make the stretch. Right now I can get to the 6th fret smoothly and the 5th with real stretching. My goal is to get it to the 3rd fret

I do these morning and afternoon as part of my warm up. The whole warm up takes between 20 and 30 minutes, sometimes more.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write