The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2021, 01:31 AM

Default Guitar case lid not staying open...

When I bought my Eastman E20D, the retaining strap on the case lid was rather short, As a result, the lid had to be held open when removing the guitar-no big deal, more of an inconvenience (though does increase the risk of damage to the guitar top from the lock if the lid tips shut when removing the instrument from the case). I didn’t want to alter the strap so came up with an alternative solution- micro-fibre face cloth rolled up and bound with duck tape which wedges between the lid and the case near the hinge at the upper bout. It doesn’t place any great stress on the hinge and quickly put in place and removed and stored in the case. I’ve since made several more for my other guitars which get slotted into place every time I get them out of the case. I know this problem has been covered before but thought I would share my “work-around”.
Note: Yes, I am careful, but accidents happen, No, I don’t leave the guitar in the case with the lid open and always keep at least one latch locked .

[IMG]
[IMG]
Old 10-19-2021, 02:30 AM
Charter Member

Generally speaking the Eastman cases are very good. I haven't had this issue and your method seems perfectly logical, but I suppose you could cut the normal piece of material and sow in an small extension.

(Or get your significant other to help out!)
Old 10-19-2021, 02:41 AM

I'm with you there. It's only the E20 case, which is, in all other respects fine. The E6 OM doesn't have the problem but I use the wedge just as a precautionary measure.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

I maybe would try to stretch the strap a bit. Depending on the material used.

By soaking it with warm water, via spray bottle.

Putting a bit of positive pressure on it. Not too much. And letting it dry naturally.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:15 AM

I had that with one case and simply made surer the handle side, bottom was higher than it would normally be. Taping something to it such as you have would raise it that way.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:25 PM

I had this problem with a strap that was too short, I cut it in the center and lengthened it with an identical piece of strap and sewn on both ends, it is a little less aesthetic but it is solid and the case opens just as it should. If you want my opinion the aesthetics of a strap of a case cover is very secondary to me, the important thing is that the case is functional. If you want a better job without exchanging the holster you can always leave the job to a professional shoemaker and it won't cost you a lot.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:56 PM

One possibility is to hold the case with one hand and grab the guitar with the other, this has been done for decades :-)
Old 10-20-2021, 01:59 AM

Eastman should provide a functional case…..just sayin’

“If Immanuel Kant, can Ghengis Kahn?”

Collings cust 000 shrt Koa b/s Eu Spruce top
Santa Cruz cust OM shrt Maple b/s Germ Spruce top
Martin D-41 Dan Fogelberg Lmt edit
Rainsong 2001 ‘Hawaiian’ WD 1100 all CF
Milagro Rosewood b/s Euro Spruce top Classical
Taylor cust GA EIR b/s Addi top Florentine cut
Journey carbon fiber “Overhead” breakdown travel
Fender Standard American Strat
Old 10-20-2021, 03:22 AM
Charter Member

First world problems 😂
Old 10-20-2021, 03:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-E View Post
When I bought my Eastman E20D, the retaining strap on the case lid was rather short, As a result, the lid had to be held open when removing the guitar-no big deal, more of an inconvenience (though does increase the risk of damage to the guitar top from the lock if the lid tips shut when removing the instrument from the case). I didn’t want to alter the strap so came up with an alternative solution- micro-fibre face cloth rolled up and bound with duck tape which wedges between the lid and the case near the hinge at the upper bout. It doesn’t place any great stress on the hinge and quickly put in place and removed and stored in the case. I’ve since made several more for my other guitars which get slotted into place every time I get them out of the case. I know this problem has been covered before but thought I would share my “work-around”.
Note: Yes, I am careful, but accidents happen, No, I don’t leave the guitar in the case with the lid open and always keep at least one latch locked .

[IMG]
[IMG]
A Good & Simple Idea! Thanks!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-20-2021, 04:03 AM
Charter Member

One of my cases had a lid-restraining strap that was too short. I just cut it in the middle and managed without it. Not a ‘perfect’ solution, but far better than a case-bitten guitar.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 10-21-2021, 12:02 AM

Quote:
One possibility is to hold the case with one hand and grab the guitar with the other, this has been done for decades :-)
Love it! In my defence, I find though, as the years have gone by, a little voice in my head now keeps saying "accident waiting to happen" and I rest assured that it will happen to me

Quote:
Eastman should provide a functional case…..just sayin’
I think they came to the end of the roll of material when they made this one. Thankfully, not the case on my other Eastman
Old 10-21-2021, 01:01 PM

Default Thanks for reminding me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-E View Post

[IMG]
[IMG]
Bear with me, no acoustic reference at all here...

I was 16 and remarkably stupid for a smart kid. Outgrew my Jazzmaster (so I thought) and wanted a Gent like George (Gretsch Country Gentleman like Harrison played for you young'uns). Bought one (partly on credit of course) from the local store, hated it after a few days and then let our manager & the music store owner lead me by the nose into buying the Ultimate Dog Guitar - the Mosrite Doubleneck. "We'll feature you holding it in all the band pics!" he said, and my teenage ego went, sure.

So I take home this ca. $700 ax (in 1966 dollars!) and there it sits in the tiny bedroom I share with my older brother. My ONLY guitar now. Yeah, every time I wanted to practice I had to pull out this ungainly beast. Define ungainly? It was the neck-heaviest ax in history, Half your left hand energy went into holding the neck up. But what necks! On the 6 side you had barely-there frets a la Gibson's "fretless wonder" necks on the Les Paul Custom at the time. Guess what? You CAN'T BEND strings without some fret there to give leverage.

And the 12 neck? Atrocious action, almost totally unplayable, and who knew truss rods back then?

Oh yeah, how this relates: One evening I go to take it out of the case, which didn't ever want to stay open and...the case SLAMS on the face of the guitar, the the latch part digging a giant ding in the candy-red finish. Or, as my pal said "that's not a ding, that's a DUGZZ!"
I finally just handed it back to the store, figured it could sell and pay off the balance.
Martin D-16GT
Martin 000M
Martin Backpacker
Breedlove Concert Copper E
Breedlove Solo Pro 12 String
Lucero classical A/E
Gretsch G9220 Resonator
Epi Dobro Hounddog
Recording King Parlor
Gold Tone F12 12-String Mando
The Loar LM700VS Mando
'61 Fender Strat
Fender 60's RW Jazz bass
90's Fender MIJ mystery passive P/J
Old 10-21-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
Just what I thought, too.
Old 10-21-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartamis View Post
I had this problem with a strap that was too short, I cut it in the center and lengthened it with an identical piece of strap and sewn on both ends, it is a little less aesthetic but it is solid and the case opens just as it should. If you want my opinion the aesthetics of a strap of a case cover is very secondary to me, the important thing is that the case is functional. If you want a better job without exchanging the holster you can always leave the job to a professional shoemaker and it won't cost you a lot.
I think that's a great idea.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion