The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
A church pastor as a teenager telling me I can't sing. Hasn't stopped me from trying, but I've been self-conscious about it ever since. I get so nervous singing in front of people live that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
At the risk of veering into forbidden territory (extra-forbidden for moderators, I suppose) you made a point of saying that this nitwit who basically scarred you for life was a church pastor. In fact, you led with it. So clearly his mantle of authority mattered to you, even if he was entirely unsuited to the calling. Heck, when his folks figured out he was one of nature's bachelors, they probably packed him off to the seminary without him even getting a vote.

Shake it off, man.

Couch Standards
Old 10-18-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytlynz View Post
I am a newb, a covid cowboy if you will and picked up the guitar during lockdown. I have no aspirations of gigging or even playing for anyone but myself. But I have been diligent and disciplined in my practice and must be making progress.

Yesterday was a very bad day. Bad news on many different fronts. I needed a break and grabbed my guitar and headed down to a park behind where In ive that has a lake and and a ton of non migrating ducks. It is all the audience I aspire to. I was noodling just to get my mind right and amuse the ducks. I have been working on a version of Simple Man that is not quite picked but getting closer. I don’t sing. About the third time through I hear a soft voice singing the lyrics word for word. I turn around and there was a five year old little boy singing. I startled him and he was about to run back from whence he came but I said “that was very good.” He said, “That was my Grandpa’s song….he left us.” Just then his mother comes running frantically up the path looking for Jason. She eyes me suspiciously, understandly, until Jason says “I heard Grandpa’s song and wondered where it was coming from.” The mom, Monica then says you were playing Simple Man? His grandfather played it to him since he was born.” He passed in may from cancer.

For a five year old to recognize a song and sing along was about the best thing that could happen on such a sh*#*y day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
Gee whiz, this made me tear up.
Me too. What a beautiful story that confirms the power of music.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
After my last open mic someone told me “your lyrics are outstanding… just like Snow Patrol”. I’m still not sure what to make of this.
I personally would do some pretty heavy drinking after a comment like that. I once recorded a full album all by myself... drums, bass, guitars and vocals. It was kind of an experimental bass heavy, riff based mix of funk, punk, and hardcore.

One fellow told me it sounded like Greenday crossed with Rush, and looking at it from a certain perspective I could see how that made sense. Another acquaintance simply said "I've heard that a lot of drug addicts are into this kind of thing."
Old 10-19-2021, 07:18 AM

I've been told all my life I can't sing---- I don't care I sing anyway

The song I wrote, Janet, is a true story- I played it for a neighbor one day and she nearly cried-

A friend told me my version of Hands on the Wheel does what a song should do- make you feel it- and she loved my version of Waylon's, Alone-

But the best one came from this forum- I copied it down and put it in my song book so this is not a copy and paste but a verbatim copy.

I have been following your recent NGD posts and the accompanying monologues you have put up about this and that. I have to come clean. I thoroughly enjoy listening to you tell a story. And now, hearing you sing this great old country love song just knocked me out.
To me you are the "Folk Art" personality on the forum right now. A straight talking, say what's on your mind killer voice and cadence to your story telling and playing. It is unique in a world of sameness.
I can't shake your hand, but, I can do this..... Hello, my name is Frank from Brooklyn, N.Y. and I bet you and I would be friends if we ever crossed paths.
Keep posting this great stuff please!
f.d.

Talk about an humbling experience! Friends and family allowed as how it is awesome that I have touched people in different states when I showed that to them- I agree. And I'll add, that's what it's all about- posterity!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion