The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-15-2021, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

I'm helping someone with this issue currently.

I aproach it in a similr way to teaching muscle memory.

I suggest playing a chord progession repeateldly without looking at the guitar, especially your hands/fretboard.

Practice "thinking" about how lightly you could fret whilst still making clean notes. It is also common for some to hit the strings too hard.

The right hand is your volume control, and you donlt need to have full volume all the time (if at all)

Practice fretting and picking increasingly gently whilst playing cleanly.
Then work on increqasing "volume" (right hand) whilst keeping frtting hand gentle, but clean.
It isn't easy but it does happen.

Hope this helps. (see below)
Old 10-15-2021, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

With guitar on right leg and right arm draped over top of guitar it is held in position without any support of the left arm. I keep neck near horizontal on a smaller body guitar such as an OM or L00 or a bit elevated on larger guitars.

Of course it does in part depend on your body size and weight as to how you can hold the guitar comfortably and securely.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-15-2021, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I'm helping someone with this issue currently.

I aproach it in a similr way to teaching muscle memory.

I suggest playing a chord progession repeateldly without looking at the guitar, especially your hands/fretboard.

Practice "thinking" about how lightly you could fret whilst still making clean notes. It is also common for some to hit the strings too hard.

The right hand is your volume control, and you donlt need to have full volume all the time (if at all)

Practice fretting and picking increasingly gently whilst playing cleanly.
Then work on increqasing "volume" (right hand) whilst keeping frtting hand gentle, but clean.
It isn't easy but it does happen.

Hope this helps. (see below)
Thank you, Andy for the instruction, which I will surely try.

It seems to me that the common denominator among all of the "solutions" offered up is the need for mindfulness. Now, when I play, I am mindful. I surely think about what I am doing. Perhaps with even too much intensity, to make sure I get it right.
But the attention I am giving tends to focus on the right notes - the final product, if you will. What I think y'all would tell me is that I should be equally focused on how I get there, ergonomically, with economy and efficiency. I suspect my 65 year old hands would appreciate that.
Thanks again.
David
Old 10-16-2021, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Friends, OP here. I have been working on this technique issue, keeping in mind the kind suggestions above.
As I focued on using as little pressure as possible behind the fret to cleanly sound the string, I discovered that I have been using pressure from the left arm to compress the string. Almost like a subtle retraction motion. And it occurs to me that the pressure to compress should come exclusively from the "pinching" between the thumb on one side of the neck and the fretting finger(s) on the other.
Am I onto something, or another dry well....
David
Old 10-16-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Friends, OP here. I have been working on this technique issue, keeping in mind the kind suggestions above.
As I focued on using as little pressure as possible behind the fret to cleanly sound the string, I discovered that I have been using pressure from the left arm to compress the string. Almost like a subtle retraction motion. And it occurs to me that the pressure to compress should come exclusively from the "pinching" between the thumb on one side of the neck and the fretting finger(s) on the other.
Am I onto something, or another dry well....
David
Not sure how it applies to steel strings but years ago when I took some classical guitar lessons my teacher wanted the "weight" of my left arm and hand to press my fingers into the strings. If I understood correctly, he wanted me to let downward pressure provide most of the fretting action with clenching of the hand providing the rest and pressure from the thumb underneath providing none at all. He said the thumb was there solely to guide and position the hand, not to provide pressure.

But like I say that was nylon stings and traiditional classical guitar technique. When I switched to steel strings I found a lot of that advice didn't translate.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 10-16-2021, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
Not sure how it applies to steel strings but years ago when I took some classical guitar lessons my teacher wanted the "weight" of my left arm and hand to press my fingers into the strings. If I understood correctly, he wanted me to let downward pressure provide most of the fretting action with clenching of the hand providing the rest and pressure from the thumb underneath providing none at all. He said the thumb was there solely to guide and position the hand, not to provide pressure.

But like I say that was nylon stings and traiditional classical guitar technique. When I switched to steel strings I found a lot of that advice didn't translate.
Brent, that is interesting advice. I have read something very similar when sounding barre chords - to allow the weight of the arm against the strings serve as the "leverage" for the compression. I have seen barre chords sounded without the thumb even touching the neck as well.
David
Old 10-16-2021, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

a few shots of whisky or beers (wobbly pops)

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 10-17-2021, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Well, there is an opposite philosophy when it comes to barre chords. There are those that say the thumb exerts no pressure at all, and the barre is held by a backward pull on the neck.

In truth, it's a combination of both. But IMO - for fretting single notes and chords other than barres - it is almost entirely the pinching between thumb pad and fingertips, as you are guessing. That's why the guitar needs to be held in a secure position by the right arm (and legs and body). Obviously that will also support the pull-back action for barre chords.

BTW, as well as the pulling back, some will recommend using the weight of the left arm to help with the pressure. This might seem nonsensical, because the weight of the arm is downwards - tending to fall off the guitar when held normally! But if you imagine your elbow held rigid (right angles) so the arm pivots from the shoulder, then its falling action will also pull back a little.

But this is still just a kind of thought experiment, to make you focus on the various muscle groups at play. Becoming rigid in any way is not ideal! Nor is an exaggerated pull-back on the neck. It's just about examining what works, by breaking it down. It all helps your hands develop the subconscious optimum pressure.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:00 AM

Relax.

I strangle the neck when I really get into what I'm playing- I have to force myself to not strangle, by relaxing, which is difficult, for me, because I can really get into certain songs- I excuse myself and let it go. I don't have any issues with it, I just wish I didn't do it. But, I don't don't do intricate playing either-

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write