The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-09-2021, 11:11 AM

Default Telecaster reacquaintance

Mrs and daughter out all day, so got the 60th anniversary Telecaster out for a play through a Vox AC4. First time in the pandemic I played electric after nearly 2 years of solid acoustic playing.
What a treat, love the neck pick up through an AC4, so raw and bluesy. Fell in love with my tele again, feels good..
Old 10-09-2021, 11:18 AM

There's something special when you pull out a guitar that hasn't been played in a long time. So, are you going to play it more often?
Old 10-09-2021, 05:09 PM

Yes certainly, it felt like a old friend, forgot how heavy they are though!
Old 10-09-2021, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

That sounds like fun! I need to do that myself!

- Glenn
Old 10-09-2021, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlefty View Post
People talk about the weight of Les Pauls being heavy and they are, but so I my Teles

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 10-10-2021, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesaHut View Post
People talk about the weight of Les Pauls being heavy and they are, but so I my Teles
They seem to have run the range from light to heavy. I especially like the re-issue eaquires, which are made with pine bodies. Mines about 6 1/2 lbs. just right
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 10-10-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlefty View Post
I've played a lot of Teles and other electric guitars over the years, and the weight differences can be extreme. My copper 52 Reissue is heavy, and I have a much modified older Squier Tele that nearly equals it. I've never weighed either, but those two are easily in the same range as the heaviest Les Paul or 335 type I've handled.

On the other hand, my Fender Nashville Tele and Squire three-pickup and Bigsby Teles are unremarkable in weight. And then there's my Japanese Fender "Fat Nashville Thinline" which feels like it's filled with helium. Just about the lightest electric guitar I've ever owned.

Is there a sound difference? Perhaps, though they are all differently configured so I can't tell for sure it's the weight or the wood type. If the OP's Tele sounds good, then it's exactly the right wood and weight, and don't let anyone tell you different.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-10-2021, 10:11 AM

I have several Teles, including the limited edition 60th Anniversary (with the emblem below the bridge). It's a gorgeous guitar, but as you note, quite heavy. At the other end of the spectrum, I have a 2016 Magnificent Seven Tele in White Ash (with gold hardware!) and it's much lighter by comparison. My other Teles all have differentiators that allow me to justify having them.

(Short scale, Triple Tele, G&L ASAT with P90s).

Old 10-13-2021, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
I have several Teles, including the limited edition 60th Anniversary (with the emblem below the bridge). It's a gorgeous guitar, but as you note, quite heavy. At the other end of the spectrum, I have a 2016 Magnificent Seven Tele in White Ash (with gold hardware!) and it's much lighter by comparison. My other Teles all have differentiators that allow me to justify having them.

(Short scale, Triple Tele, G&L ASAT with P90s).

Man, that's a great looking Tele! Good for you!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars