The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-08-2021, 03:06 PM

Default Another chord change question

Sorry for all the noob questions but it really is very helpful. When you change chords and one finger will stay in place, say going from Am to C, do you keep the finger in place and move 2 fingers or do you remove your fingers entirely and put it back down. Also, what if your finger is on the right string but in the wrong fret, do you slide it or totally abandon that chord and reform the new one.
Thanks again for the help!!

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-19-2021 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Title
Old 10-08-2021, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Pipe View Post
Sorry for all the noob questions but it really is very helpful. When you change chords and one finger will stay in place, say going from Am to C, do you keep the finger in place and move 2 fingers or do you remove your fingers entirely and put it back down. Also, what if your finger is on the right string but in the wrong fret, do you slide it or totally abandon that chord and reform the new one.
Best to post questions like these in the "Play and Write" part of the forum. In short though the finger staying in place is the usual choice.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-19-2021 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Edited quote.
Old 10-08-2021, 03:28 PM

Keeping whichever fingers you can on the fretboard 1. promotes efficiency and 2. orientates you as to your location on the fretboard without looking at it. Therefore it is preferable to lifting.

We were all noobs once.And if not at this, we are at something.
Old 10-09-2021, 01:03 AM

Without a teacher I've found this one of the most puzzling aspects of guitar playing, for tab pieces at moderate speed I don't think it matters much but as the bpm escalates it becomes critical to use the most efficient fingering that sets me up for playing the following phrase, very much like playing snooker. Learning on your own I think you have to get it wrong before you realise how much that can slow you down.
Think about not just how to get from A to B but also where your fingers need to be to facilitate the following move from B to C.
Old 10-09-2021, 02:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Keeping whichever fingers you can on the fretboard 1. promotes efficiency and 2. orientates you as to your location on the fretboard without looking at it. Therefore it is preferable to lifting.

We were all noobs once.And if not at this, we are at something.
Mycroft speaks for me too!
Old 10-09-2021, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Pipe View Post
Minimise all finger movements. That's the basic rule: economy of effort.

Each finger should move the shortest distance possible, if indeed it needs to move at all. Never lift a finger off a string any higher than you need to to shift it to the next string. If it's moving to another fret on the same string, you only need to lift it enough to allow the string off the fret, but not your finger off the string. With some slides you can even keep the string on the frets (so you hear the slide).

Some chord changes are inevitably difficult, of course - fingers need to change places in awkward ways - but there is always one method which is most efficient (quickest and least effort).

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-19-2021 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Edited quote.
Old 10-09-2021, 03:52 AM
Charter Member

just like in Chess, plan your moves a few moves in advance based on where you are in finger position to where you will be..as one said earlier..economy of motion.

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 10-09-2021, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssstewart View Post
just like in Chess, plan your moves a few moves in advance based on where you are in finger position to where you will be
Yes, that too!

I.e., always think ahead. No need to think about the chord you're on, you've already got that one. Imagine the next one, and that prepares your fingers.

E.g., if you have to move several frets up or down the fretboard at any point, look to where that move is going to go, before you have to make it. (E.g., on Blackbird, where you slide up to 12th fret from 3rd, you look at fret 12 the beat before. Then you can place your hand right there.)
Old 10-09-2021, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Maybe the term loosening the fingers instead of lifting the fingers works best. As a beginer I'd suggest focusing on the first fretted note your finger or pick is going to strike. That gives your other fingers a moment to get in place before you strike them.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-10-2021, 04:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Minimise all finger movements. That's the basic rule: economy of effort.

Each finger should move the shortest distance possible, if indeed it needs to move at all. Never lift a finger off a string any higher than you need to to shift it to the next string. If it's moving to another fret on the same string, you only need to lift it enough to allow the string off the fret, but not your finger off the string. With some slides you can even keep the string on the frets.
Some chord changes are inevitably difficult, of course - fingers need to change places in awkward ways - but there is always one method which is most efficient (quickest and least effort).

This. Over the course of 50 years of teaching guitar to many, many hundreds of students, most likely well over 1000 of all levels and abilities one of the most common pieces of advice I offer is - don't move if you don't have to!

And here's a little hint: if you're struggling with a particular chord no matter how much your practice, nine out of ten times, the LAST finger you place down is the culprit! Spend some time moving from the previous chord and placing the "problem finger" down FIRST for a couple of practice sessions, then filling in the rest of the chord. Yes, in the beginning your change will be slower than setting up the chord as you've probably been doing for some time (but still are unable to land it all at once) but trust me on this - that is only temporary and what you're doing by dealing with the problem finger FIRST is the start of defeating "muscle memory" - something that is very, very frustrating when you command your fingers to go down all at once but they just won't do that.....

Oh, and one other thing. Don't be afraid to learn a chord with different fingerings, especially first position ones. For decades I preached against this: this is the right way to play that chord so do it!!! But the reality is that what surrounds that chord, i.e., where you're coming from and where you're headed after a particular chord should determine which fingers to use. First position A Major is a perfect example of this. There are at least three ways to finger that chord that will facilitate fast and accurate changes.

Fact: Great players don't move any more than they absolutely have to!

Good luck, hang in there!

Gene
Old 10-10-2021, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Then there is the area of finger planting to get ready for the next notes. Examples being as in measures 2 and 4 with
fingers used indicated. Also in measure 1 and 3 using a pinky finger half barre is smoothest.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-19-2021, 02:22 PM

When learning.

1 Form the chord get all the notes to ring clear.

2 Remove your hand completely from the fingerboard and place it flat out on flat surface. Your leg works best.

3 Form the next chord as in step 1 then go to step 2 and repeat as needed.

Go very slow in the beginning, increase speed as you progress.

This worked for me.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
Oh, and one other thing. Don't be afraid to learn a chord with different fingerings, especially first position ones. For decades I preached against this: this is the right way to play that chord so do it!!! But the reality is that what surrounds that chord, i.e., where you're coming from and where you're headed after a particular chord should determine which fingers to use. First position A Major is a perfect example of this. There are at least three ways to finger that chord that will facilitate fast and accurate changes.
As a noobie, I found this guidance to be invaluable. After learning basic chords/fingerings, I started paying a lot of attention to the various ways to finger basic chords, entirely dependent upon what song I was playing.

As Gene says, for instance, you can play an A chord at least three different ways and the method you choose at any given time may enhance or diminish movement depending on what came before and what comes after. I form an EM three different ways, too (index/middle, middle/ring, ring/pinkie); using the ring/pinkie works great when moving to/from a barred F.

The real benefit is you can play...not just chords, but actual songs and you'll feel like a "musician."

One other tip that helped me: learn alternate chords (not just fingerings) that may substitute for other chords you haven't yet mastered. They may be easier/faster to play from the outset and allow you to play...not just practice. Take a look at the Cadd9 (substitute for a C chord). Often, it sounds just fine (Justin talks about this a lot) in a song. If you use the "big" G chord (four fingers), the ring/pinkie fingers stay put while you play Cadd9 and G and playing a D is just moving your index finger and lifting your pinkie (sounds more complicated than it is). With hardly any real movement, you can play C/D/G like a pro...and there are, at last count, 87 million songs with just those chords.

Last edited by Tadmcd; 10-21-2021 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:03 AM

Stay put, but it may need to pivot slightly, while remaining down on the string. For example, the position of my finger/hand is different on a D7 than it is on a C.

Economy of movement is always desirable, but don't "lock" your fingers into place either, in a death grip.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write