The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-01-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
You're saying classical neck position puts the fret hand into a "crummy" position?
I’m saying it doesn’t work well for me on some songs, including the one I’m working on right now. There aren’t any one size fits all solutions to steel-string acoustic guitar playing.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 10-01-2021, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

To play "western style" i.e. with the waist of the guitar on you right thigh - your thigh needs to be parallel with the floor.

The only thing to hold the guitar in place is the inside of your picking arms' elbow (that part of the body with no name!) which should "hold" the upper front part of the lower bout.

You can't play properly if you feel the need to hold the guitar with your fretting hand.

this might help :
Old 10-01-2021, 11:35 AM

I think that for classical guitar the guitar rests mainly on the fretting side leg i.e. the LEFT leg. Problem may be you try a classical position where the neck points up on right leg. If you have steel string guitar that rests on right leg it may be more stable when neck is almost parallel to the floor.

Last edited by merlin666; 10-01-2021 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
I’m asking for tips on keeping the guitar steady on my right leg. I know the classical position keeps it steady but for me it makes some chord fingerings more challenging, especially the thumb over F.
I didn’t even realize I had an issue when I was only doing cowboy chords but my teacher had me moving up the neck some now.
Specifically when I go from an A to a D7 (the C shape version) in San Francisco Bay Blues, my right arm pushes in on the guitar body, pushing the neck away and making me flub the switch to the D7.
I’m definitely going to ask my teacher to look at what’s happening and hopefully offer his suggestions. Unfortunately he was stuck in traffic after a gig this week so I won’t get a chance to ask him for advice until next week. I figured in the meantime I’d seek the collective wisdom here.
Hi db

I use a NeckUP (leather strap/lift) because I'm not trying to keep myself nor the guitar steady when I play. I move around. I just need to keep the guitar under control.

It's stable, and my hands are not becoming erratic, nor losing contact with the instrument (unless I choose).

Even when I wear a strap, I'm not static. I move then too. And the guitar is still under my control.

Nothing more unemotionally boring visually than a non-moving player.

At a guitar gathering we attended, this guy played for nearly an hour and he was not rock steady, but his playing was rock-solid. He was using a more elaborate lift (had to carry it separately) and I chatted with him. He feels it's indispensable to his style.

My NeckUP in action…

His playing (and the music) had life!

I use the NeckUP lift on my right knee, and it keeps the guitar stable, and under control, yet allows me to move around as I play.

I appreciate playing with both feet flat on the floor.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 10-01-2021 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Except it throws the fretting hand into a crummy position. IMO
Hi Derek…

There probably isn't a one-size-solves-all, but the NeckUP for me keeps my hand in a great spot for fretting.

It doesn't 'throw' anything. A NeckUP (or any well made lift) gives players positioning options. It is highly adjustable, works on either knee, for guitars with or without end pins, and packs down under the headstock in my cases.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-01-2021, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
My understanding is that it’s a similar position for the neck to classical. If that is the case I would have to agree with you.
Hi david-b
I've been using NeckUP lifts since 2005 on all my guitars, and I'm using right knee with the headstock elevated to at least chin high. My position is nowhere near classical using them. And they keep my hands (I use both when I play) in proper position throughout the length of the fingerboard, and properly positioned and angled over the soundhole without cranking or angling my right wrist.

I have friends who use a NeckUP on the left knee who do play classical, and they achieve their optimal position using a NeckUP. It's not a one-trick-pony.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 10-01-2021, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

duplicate post

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 10-01-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Derek…

There probably isn't a one-size-solves-all, but the NeckUP for me keeps my hand in a great spot for fretting.
It doesn't 'throw' anything. A NeckUP (or any well made lift) gives players positioning options. It is highly adjustable, works on either knee, for guitars with or without end pins, and packs down under the headstock in my cases.
Whatever you get used to and it works for you. For a relative novice starting out exploring options I'd suggest more traditional approaches.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 10-01-2021 at 02:07 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write