The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-27-2021, 12:11 PM

Default Right-hand technique

I’m really a bass player, and I can play 3-4 hour set in a dive bar pretty competently.

But my guitar playing is another story. I know chords, I know theory, and over the COVID period I’ve gotten much better at picking out and playing lead lines. I’m comfortable playing up the neck, finding the notes with CAGED knowledge.

But my right hand is weak. Finding the right string, getting the time and the attack right are hard. My timing is good as a bass player playing with fingers only, so I think I can get there. Crosspicking consistently is hard.

I pick mostly, but use pick plus middle finger (trying to work in Third finger too). I do a little fingerpicking, but need to work on it some more.

What do y’all do to improve right hand power, accuracy, etc?
Old 09-27-2021, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

For fingerstyle (and classical) start with pattern picking such as Travis type and arpeggios. With a quick google search you will find plenty on the internet on that and on beginning fingerstyle (etc.) lessons in general.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-27-2021, 01:52 PM

I started on a nylon string guitar, way easier with the wider spacing and flat profile, steel string guitars have curved saddles to match the nut and fretboard so you have to learn to compensate for the changing string heights. Start off with picking patterns on a classical.
Old 09-27-2021, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrondack View Post
I started on a nylon string guitar, way easier with the wider spacing and flat profile, steel string guitars have curved saddles to match the nut and fretboard so you have to learn to compensate for the changing string heights. Start off with picking patterns on a classical.
Bass guitars have narrower fretboards than steel string guitars and and they are also normally more curved (smaller radius).

Last edited by rick-slo; 09-27-2021 at 02:18 PM. Reason: added comments
Old 09-28-2021, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Bass guitars have narrower fretboards than steel string guitars and and they are also normally more curved (smaller radius).
Way I read standup's post is that he/she wants to improve their acoustic guitar fingerpicking?
Old 09-28-2021, 05:09 AM

I want to work on my right hand for flat picking and fingerpicking. I spend more time with a pick, but I’d like to work on both.

I am working on both.

Just looking for ideas.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Way I read standup's post is that he/she wants to improve their acoustic guitar fingerpicking?
As did I. A flattop steel string guitar's fretboard is more similar to a bass than is a classical guitar's.

Old 09-28-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
As did I. A flattop steel string guitar's fretboard is more similar to a bass than is a classical guitar's.
That's why it would be way easier to learn fingerpicking patterns on a classical guitar than a bass guitar or a steel string.
Classical guitars are designed to make playing picking patterns as easy as they can be.
I learned on such a guitar.
The general idea is progressive training/learning, make things easy, train the brain then move to a steel string. For the novice it can be pretty hard to hit the right strings or even be clear about which string exactly is being played, the extra space on a classical makes it so much easier, the flat bridge means a novice player does not have to worry about compensating for different string heights.
Do you believe that standup is better of learning such skills on a bass guitar?
Old 09-28-2021, 12:35 PM

I’m working on my right hand, for guitar. I’ve got the bass thing down much more than guitar.

I’ll be using steel string acoustics because that’s what I’ve got, and I’m already doing flat picking and fingerpicking. Just trying to improve. My left hand on guitar kinda knows what it’s doing, but I think my playing will be improved with a stronger right hand.

I just need to do the work. I’m not taking lessons, but can probably find videos on Travis picking, crosspicking, etc.

Just need to apply myself, I guess.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

I also employ the technique of a flatpick/middle and ring finger for playing... began working at it in the late 70's in earnest. Took a few years to settle in to that style, but now it's like second nature to me, so much so that it's difficult to NOT do it!

I agree that learning the basic Travis picking patterns is a good way to go; very useful in all manner of genres. I use a bit of fingernail on my picking fingers, and it took a lot of time and effort to balance the volume from my picking fingers and the flatpick; had to beef up my attack with the fingertips/nails (one reason I keep them short-ish) and learn to back off the flatpick a bit. Once you achieve that balance, you'll get clear even tone and volume... and you can always "dig in" a bit more with the flatpick if you want.

Keep working at it and you'll get there!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-28-2021, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's why it would be way easier to learn fingerpicking patterns on a classical guitar than a bass guitar or a steel string.
Classical guitars are designed to make playing picking patterns as easy as they can be.
I learned on such a guitar.
The general idea is progressive training/learning, make things easy, train the brain then move to a steel string. For the novice it can be pretty hard to hit the right strings or even be clear about which string exactly is being played, the extra space on a classical makes it so much easier, the flat bridge means a novice player does not have to worry about compensating for different string heights.
Do you believe that standup is better of learning such skills on a bass guitar?
Don't really agree with all of that, but opinions vary so no problem.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:11 AM
Charter Member

There is no substitute starting out picking for just picking patterns over, and over, and over again until it becomes something you can do without thinking about it. Basically get it into your muscle memory bank. Do it sitting watching TV, whenever you have a few minutes...or hours...over and over and over again.

For specific songs you can try to find instruction/lessons on YouTube or wherever, or work it out yourself. If you can get a good clip of it being played you can slow it right down. I use guitar Pro 7 to tab out stuff I want to learn like that as an aide memoire.

Then play it over and over and over...

Me personally, to play a true fingerstyle arrangement I would need a full tab. Then I just work through it bar by bar. Bite off a little chunk each day. Practice that over and over and over...

The great thing is by taking on an arrangement like that you really advance your technique and core knowledge of the fretboard.

I should say, it helps me to be able to access some guidance with fingering - something may seem impossible until you come at it a different way that might be counter intuitive but obvious to a knowledgeable player and fingered correctly it becomes attainable.

Ultimately there's no substitute for putting in the time and it's key to identify the material you're going to use and play in order to advance. A good teacher can really help with everything, especially by keeping your technique and theory right. But I agree there is enough good stuff out there that you can go as far as you want just by working away yourself.

Just some thoughts - I'm no expert - good luck with it.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 10-06-2021, 02:03 PM

I promise not to bore y’all with updates, but I’ve been spending about a half hour a day just working on timing and crosspicking for now.

I “discovered” Molly Tuttle, who I was not aware of because I don’t really follow bluegrass. What a player, and a good teacher too. I spent a bit of time watching her clawhammer guitar lesssons, though I don’t think I really want to pursue that. But she showcased a really intriguing modal tuning, DADGCD, which has a sound.

This is just what I need to do, spend the time working on time and accuracy.

Fingerstyle is next, I already do a bit of it, but I want to watch a few videos and spend time there too.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by standup View Post
Fingerstyle is next, I already do a bit of it, but I want to watch a few videos and spend time there too.
Hi standup,

Are you familiar with Mississippi John Hurt? He’s kind of a gateway into fingerpicking for a lot of people. Learn some of his repertoire and you will have the alternating bass with your Thumb and syncopated melody on top down pat. Plenty of resources available for learning his tunes on the Internet. Good luck!
Old 10-06-2021, 07:29 PM

I am a big fan of Missisippi John Hurt, and that's a good suggestion.

My ex-wife was a really good finger picker, kept me from even trying for a while because she was so good at it.
Basses
Electric guitars
Lap steel

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write