The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-26-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian111 View Post
...back in the days...Most people had one guitar and they made it work and discovered their instrument had far more depth than they realized. A piano has basically one tone but you can play a lot of different genres on it. Playing a single pickup guitar like Junior has given me some perspective.
Yeah, exactly. Just play your guitar and manipulate it for the tones that you want to emphasize.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 09-26-2021, 12:45 PM

Telecaster with the right pickups (for me the Nocaster ones)..
I´d even say an Esquire..

I prefer simple guitars .. just play the very basic instrument and make it sound right - it is so rewarding..

And from the guitars with more of the built-in tone shaping features - the ES-335.
The Gibson configuration (2 Vols and 2 Tones) works great.
Old 09-26-2021, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Although it's not my favorite guitar, I think really a strat is the most versatile of them all.
Old 09-26-2021, 01:43 PM

Food for thought...

Couch Standards
Old 09-26-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Food for thought...
Oh yes.. so great

with all my references to old fenders with maple necks, I prefer rosewood fretboards on them

like Mike Bloomfields, or Robben Ford´s

This one must be of the same vintage
Old 09-26-2021, 03:16 PM

My Baja Tele has a very Tele-sounding bridge pickup (Broadcaster) and a somewhat more Strat-leaning neck pickup (Twisted Tele), with four-way switching that gives an additional thicker sound with both pickups in series in the fourth position, as well as a button for quacky, kinda Stratty out-of-phase sounds in both the combined pickup positions. I mostly stick to the three basic Tele pickup options, but it’s nice to have the others for occasional use.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:21 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Um, nah. Do it all? There's a reason and application for each of the guitars in my studio kit. There's overlap, even strong overlap, but each one offers something none of the other ones do.

I actually have a Swiss Army guitar that does a lot o' stuff and lives at the studio:

This is a Carvin TL60T with neck through body, splittable humbuckers, Wilkinson trem, 25" scale, Roland synth pickup. But the body woods, poplar with maple neck, give it a bright sound with strong individual-string separation that is nothing like a typical Gibson or Fender, more like a Gretsch with more sustain. But Gibsons blend the strings together much more into seemingly a single sound and are more midrangy. Fenders as well, but brighter.

It's horses for courses.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-26-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Um, nah. Do it all? There's a reason and application for each of the guitars in my studio kit. There's overlap, even strong overlap, but each one offers something none of the other ones do.

I actually have a Swiss Army guitar that does a lot o' stuff and lives at the studio:

This is a Carvin TL60T with neck through body, splittable humbuckers, Wilkinson trem, 25" scale, Roland synth pickup. But the body woods, poplar with maple neck, give it a bright sound with strong individual-string separation that is nothing like a typical Gibson or Fender, more like a Gretsch with more sustain. But Gibsons blend the strings together much more into seemingly a single sound and are more midrangy. Fenders as well, but brighter.

It's horses for courses.

Bob
For pro-level studio work, no doubt. For most bar band or hobbyist-level players playing live, those subtleties disappear quickly.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:08 PM

The Pensa Suhr was specifically designed and produced to meet this requirement.

"In the early 80’s John started working for Rudy Pensa at Rudy’s Music Stop in NYC. It was during this time that the “Pensa-Suhr” guitars were born. John built guitars under the “Pensa-Suhr” brand for Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton, Peter Frampton, Lou Reed, Bill Connors, Steve Stevens, Reb Beach, Pat Thrall, Little Steven, Victor Bailey Pensa-Suhr Bass, Chuck Loeb, Eddie Martinez (Robert Palmer) and many others"

https://www.suhr.com/about-us/

https://direstraitsblog.com/guitar-s...-suhr-guitars/
Old 09-27-2021, 06:34 AM

http://lblutherie.blogspot.com/2012/...aster.html?m=1

I've had it since 2014. Still in the rotation with .011-.054 strings.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
The Pensa Suhr was specifically designed and produced to meet this requirement.....

John built guitars under the “Pensa-Suhr” brand for Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton, Peter Frampton, Lou Reed, Bill Connors, Steve Stevens, Reb Beach, Pat Thrall, Little Steven, Victor Bailey Pensa-Suhr Bass, Chuck Loeb, Eddie Martinez (Robert Palmer) and many others"
I first saw Special EFX/Cheili Minucci in the late '80s playing a Pensa Suhr; these days, he still plays that very same guitar.

Old 09-28-2021, 02:19 PM

You should talk with Rick Nielsen (Cheap Trick). He's actually played a 5 neck guitar on stage at a concert.

Old 09-28-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
You should talk with Rick Nielsen (Cheap Trick). He's actually played a 5 neck guitar on stage at a concert.

World worst couch guitar.
Yamaha FS800
Fender Player Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Special
Epiphone Gold Glory Jared James Nichols
Old 09-28-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian111 View Post
World worst couch guitar.
LOL. Yes, I wasn't thinking of that. My shoulder is aching just thinking about it, but it would look cool as a conversation piece in my living room.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post

Those poor guitars! They need to be surgically separated. That guy's poor back! I would think that later in life he would have severe back problems.

Better to stick with a simple Tele.

Tony

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars