The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-18-2021, 11:57 AM

Default Yairi CY125

Just picked up a used one for getting back into it after a decade+ hiatus. (Shoulder injury)
I got it for the sound at what I though a fair price. But the action is something else. It's 1.8mm on the first fret but a whopping 4.8mm on the 12th. I can get about 2mm off the saddle to lower it to 3.8. (There's a little over 2mm available.) That wouldn't be too bad. I'm guessing that's all I can do.
As it sits the action is no different from the Sigma CS-3 that I parted with recently. That was a nice sounding guitar. But the Yairi sounds so much better.

Last edited by collinb; 09-18-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:07 PM
Guest 928

Good to be getting back to some play. Congratulations on the Yairi--the ones I've tried have been marvelous.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:23 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinb View Post
Just picked up a used one for getting back into it after a decade+ hiatus. (Shoulder injury)
I got it for the sound at what I though a fair price. But the action is something else. It's 1.8mm on the first fret but a whopping 4.8mm on the 12th. I can get about 2mm off the saddle to lower it to 3.8. (There's a little over 2mm available.) That wouldn't be too bad. I'm guessing that's all I can do.
As it sits the action is no different from the Sigma CS-3 that I parted with recently. That was a nice sounding guitar. But the Yairi sounds so much better.
Without having it in my hands, it's hard to say what the "remedy" might be - but take it to a qualified tech - maybe a heat press of the neck is in order. Hard to say.

Good luck and enjoy it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical