The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-07-2021, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
is $3K (with a plain ol' case) the target price point B/E is aiming for with its standard "Beastman" (thanks Zissou) line?

I hope not. But what do I know?
I would guess it's around there. There was a post a month or two ago that had some details.

But, they're meant to fit between the higher end Eastmans which top out at around $2200 for the E40 and the Bourgeois entry point which are the Generation series which start at about $4k.

I'd imagine that there'd be at least one model below this in the pecking order, likely a plain Jane mahogany model.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 08-07-2021, 06:52 PM

Are these designed in Maine and made in China?
Old 08-07-2021, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
they're meant to fit between the higher end Eastmans which top out at around $2200 for the E40 and the Bourgeois entry point which are the Generation series which start at about $4k.
I see. Missed the thread, but that makes sense.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvrDxn View Post
Are these designed in Maine and made in China?
My understanding is the tops are voiced in US and then sent to Eastman for assembly. I do not know if final set up is in California by Eastman or in Maine by Bourgeois.
Old 08-08-2021, 03:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
Eastman aficionados have been waiting for some time now to get a glimpse of the first product from the Bourgeois/Eastman collaboration. This FJ Exclusive clouds the waters somewhat; is $3K (with a plain ol' case) the target price point B/E is aiming for with its standard "Beastman" (thanks Zissou) line?

I hope not. But what do I know?
Both B & E said early on that they were targeting a $3-6k range for this new line. It seems to me that this might be the starting place, and later models will go up, not down, in price, as they introduce more models.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:59 AM

I’d rather buy a used Bourgeois, Collings etc than this. These will likely be £4000 in the UK which is used boutique territory.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 08-08-2021, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Will these “collaboration” guitars be sold at current Bourgeois dealers or at Eastman dealers? There’s overlap but not every shop sells both labels at this time.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

I still don’t understand the big attraction for these guitars. There are plenty of choices at the $3k level and unless these are noticeably superior, it seems like they will get lost in the mix. But I’m the first to recognize that I know next to nothing about marketing.
Old 08-08-2021, 10:10 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
There are plenty of choices at the $3k level and unless these are noticeably superior, it seems like they will get lost in the mix. But I’m the first to recognize that I know next to nothing about marketing.
Yep. D-28, D-18, J-45, etc, etc… Lotta fantastic guitars in that price range. I’m guessing this prototype is at the high end of the Touchstone price range. The standards will be notably less. Also, the woods are selected in Lewiston, where the top is assembled and hand voiced by Dana. Then everything is shipped to China for the rest of assembly. Then the guitars are returned to Lewiston for final check/setup. So I suspect the marketing folks will play up the hands-on, boutique angle that you don’t get from production shop guitars.

Will it work? We’ll see…

Old 08-08-2021, 10:16 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Default First look at the Bourgeois/Eastman collaboration guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
Will these “collaboration” guitars be sold at current Bourgeois dealers or at Eastman dealers? There’s overlap but not every shop sells both labels at this time.
My understanding is both. A major reason the deal was struck was for both builders to expand distribution. Keep in mind Bourgeois is using much of the money from this deal to ramp up production of the Lewiston highenders. They’ve already expanded the shop and done a bunch of hiring in preparation for that. Last time I talked to folks there they said they were hoping to go from producing about 400 guitars a year to 1,200 in the next three years or so. To sell all those guitars they’re going to have to ramp up distribution too.

Here’s a recent thread about that.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=620518

Last edited by Rev Roy; 08-08-2021 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-08-2021, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Both B & E said early on that they were targeting a $3-6k range for this new line. It seems to me that this might be the starting place, and later models will go up, not down, in price, as they introduce more models.
I don't know, that doesn't sound right to me. That's a significant overlap of Bourgeois' core range.

It seems to me that they're really aiming at the sub $4k range.

Per the Bourgeois website:
"The average Bourgeois guitar retails for about $6,000. The cheapest retails for a little under $4,000. While we have always aspired to build quality guitars at lower price points, the economics of micro-scale US manufacturing dictate that we would lose our shirts if we tried.

As previously announced, Bourgeois and Eastman will address this conundrum by collaborating on a new series of guitars that will be partly produced by each company. Bourgeois will be responsible for design, materials selection, production of voiced tops, final setup and quality control; Eastman will assemble and finish guitars to our specifications. Not only will this collaboration further increase job creation in Lewiston, it will also allow us to crack the $4,000 price barrier, and by a significant margin. US introduction, by the way, is scheduled for the latter part of 2020."

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 08-08-2021, 10:35 AM

Below is the email I got from Neil Cosman at Bourgeois a couple of months ago. According to him, MSRP is starting at $2,650.

Thank you for your email and for your interest in Bourgeois Guitars.

We are excited about the upcoming collaboration guitars built in partnership with Eastman Guitars.

These guitars will initially be available in OM and Dread body shapes, a 25.5” scale and a 1 23/32” nut.

We anticipate the guitars to be available from our dealers in quarter 4 of this year with a starting MSRP of $2,650.

These guitars are designed to allow for a lower price entry point to the Bourgeois brand while still incorporating what makes Bourgeois guitars great: soundboards sourced and voiced by the same team in the same manner as all our Bourgeois guitars and guitars built using Bourgeois guitars specifications and standards.

We could not be more thrilled about this new Bourgeois guitar line and believe it has the ability to make a big impact.

I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend one of these to you.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morebass View Post
This is a disappointment to me. I was expecting guitars in a more affordable price range. Seems pointless to make guitars for 3 or 4k when Eastman is less than half that and Borgouis can be got for a bit more. I don't understand this move.
I was expecting the same thing, something less than $3k.

Looking forward to reading some reviews when people have these guitars in their hands.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fret-O'File View Post
Below is the email I got from Neil Cosman at Bourgeois a couple of months ago. According to him, MSRP is starting at $2,650.

Thank you for your email and for your interest in Bourgeois Guitars.

We are excited about the upcoming collaboration guitars built in partnership with Eastman Guitars.

These guitars will initially be available in OM and Dread body shapes, a 25.5” scale and a 1 23/32” nut.

We anticipate the guitars to be available from our dealers in quarter 4 of this year with a starting MSRP of $2,650.

These guitars are designed to allow for a lower price entry point to the Bourgeois brand while still incorporating what makes Bourgeois guitars great: soundboards sourced and voiced by the same team in the same manner as all our Bourgeois guitars and guitars built using Bourgeois guitars specifications and standards.

We could not be more thrilled about this new Bourgeois guitar line and believe it has the ability to make a big impact.

I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend one of these to you.
This makes the most sense - a $2650 MSRP with a street price sub $2500. Otherwise it feels like a very tiny needle the thread between the top of the Eastman line and the bottom of the Bourgeois line.

But if they can bring guitars to market close to $2k with Bourgeois design and supplies, that seems like a great market option. I say that as a huge fan of both Bourgeois and Eastman. My thermo cured Eastman is amazing value for $1100 new.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 08-08-2021, 11:40 AM

Hope it works for them but that much shipping and that many handoffs and touch-points has to raise production costs and likelihood of errors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Yep. D-28, D-18, J-45, etc, etc… Lotta fantastic guitars in that price range. I’m guessing this prototype is at the high end of the Touchstone price range. The standards will be notably less. Also, the woods are selected in Lewiston, where the top is assembled and hand voiced by Dana. Then everything is shipped to China for the rest of assembly. Then the guitars are returned to Lewiston for final check/setup. So I suspect the marketing folks will play up the hands-on, boutique angle that you don’t get from production shop guitars.

Will it work? We’ll see…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion