The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-16-2021, 08:46 PM

Default ToneDexter vs LRBaggs Voiceprint

From what I can see these use the same idea, the Baggs is a good hundred or so cheaper. Has anyone used both of these? Is there an area where one would have the edge over the other?
Old 10-17-2021, 06:57 AM

There are already a number of thread for this topic. Use the search feature.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:18 AM

Check also YouTube
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 10-17-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
From what I can see these use the same idea, the Baggs is a good hundred or so cheaper. Has anyone used both of these? Is there an area where one would have the edge over the other?
The problem with the VoicePrint is, that you need an Apple iPhone to use it. Big nogo in Europe, where I live. And here in Europe the VoicePrint and the Tonedexter cost €499.-.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbound View Post
The problem with the VoicePrint is, that you need an Apple iPhone to use it. Big nogo in Europe, where I live. And here in Europe the VoicePrint and the Tonedexter cost €499.-.
Or an IPad, which a lot of people have. It’s still a downside for sure, but probably not a deal breaker for a lot of people. I don’t think Baggs would have released it if they thought that sales would be bad.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdie2002 View Post
There are already a number of thread for this topic. Use the search feature.
Or, we could just help the OP out in this thread.

I haven’t tried the VP yet, but I have seen it popping up on a lot of professional musician boards. I still say the largest upside of the VP is that it’s easier to make an IR and you have way more control over tailoring it to what you want.

The downside is that it doesn’t sound as natural as the TD and seems to be a bit brighter sounding in all of the demoes I have heard of it.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:15 PM

A slightly different view... Audio Sprockets is a couple of guys spending their own money trying to bootstrap a really well thought out product into a business that might become their day job.

Baggs is fully established and going nowhere.

If you are on the fence, why not send some business to the little guy to make sure ToneDexter is available into the future.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-17-2021, 04:25 PM

One challenge is that most folks are going to pick one or another, and then spend the time to perfect it for their own needs.

I've put two years into ToneDexter. I've not heard anything to motivate me to switch yet, and I'm not going to buy the VoicePrint to test it out.

I imagine it would be the same for a VoicePrint owner. It's not only the cost of acquisition, but the time cost in deeper learning.

Since IR solutions for acoustic guitars are still catching on, the resale potential is currently low. That works against test driving multiple systems.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 10-17-2021, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbound View Post
Android version isn’t far away.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:11 AM

I have used both. If I was wanting a solution for playing live, I personally give the edge to the VPDI. If using it for streaming or recording, the Tonedexter might have the edge depending on what kind of pickup you have.

In my experience:

Tonedexter Pros:
  • Most mic-like tone.
  • Doesn't require a phone or computer
  • Pedal has physical eq knobs
  • Notch contol for feedback works really well.
  • Small company & great customer service

Tonedexter Cons:
  • Can feel distant or disconnected in live setting.
  • Blending isn't as effective.
  • Lack of more robust EQ
  • Requires user to own, borrow, or rent a mic
  • Doesn't work with as many pickup types.

VPDI Pros:
  • Doesn't feel hollow, distant, or disconnected.
  • Very Powerful EQ
  • Blending workds really well
  • Feedback control works really well.
  • App updates have the potential to bring more / new features
  • Works with a wider variety of pickups.
  • Good customer service.

VPDI Cons:
  • Not as mic-like in its sound.
  • No physical EQ knobs on the pedal
  • Making changes in real time is cumbersome because it is app based.
  • Requires user to own an iPhone or iPad (for now)
Old 10-18-2021, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

I’ve had both and prefer the voiceprint by a considerable margin. It feels a lot more natural and immediate and it’s much easier to dial in. It also isn’t hard to hook up a mic to your phone to get a better tone than just using the built in phone mic. That’s what I’ve done and it sounds incredible. The anti-feedback functions and EQ on the voiceprint is a lot more useful too.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:57 PM

That's great to hear about the VP! My main issue with the TD is that although it sounds great at home, it just doesn't work for me live. It's too distant. When I listen to VP demos, the IR seems to blend a bit better with the pickup. It sounds like an enhancement vs. a somewhat more realistic but hollow IR.

Just wondering though, do people find the VP to be hi-fi sounding? I must admit that most demos, when an IR is created with the VP, the tone often sounds far too bright for my tastes. The TD is quite a bit warmer.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
That's great to hear about the VP! My main issue with the TD is that although it sounds great at home, it just doesn't work for me live. It's too distant. When I listen to VP demos, the IR seems to blend a bit better with the pickup. It sounds like an enhancement vs. a somewhat more realistic but hollow IR.

Just wondering though, do people find the VP to be hi-fi sounding? I must admit that most demos, when an IR is created with the VP, the tone often sounds far too bright for my tastes. The TD is quite a bit warmer.
I've played with the TD live, just once, and it didn't sound distant or hollow or disconnected etc. to me. Can't compare it to to any other IR, but I was very happy with it.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:59 AM

I appreciate all the feedback and information everyone, thank you.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
I've played with the TD live, just once, and it didn't sound distant or hollow or disconnected etc. to me. Can't compare it to to any other IR, but I was very happy with it.
I think it depends on the environment and setup. I could see it working well with a solo artist or two guitar players, but for me, I play in a four piece in loud environments. The TD just gets lost. Oddly enough, the Fishman Aura works perfectly. I am not in love with the sound, but it's super easy to dial in.

I want to try the VP but at $500 Canadian (plus tax), it's an investment. I just feel like more and more I want a simple K&K set up with something like the VP in order to add a bit more high end/natural tone. My guitar has two output jacks so I could see myself adding a UST to the other for those super loud situations.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification