The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2021, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

I’d throw a clamp across it while its open, and give it some pressure for a couple days and see if it works better. A piece of rope would do it as well -
Old 10-18-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I’d throw a clamp across it while its open, and give it some pressure for a couple days and see if it works better. A piece of rope would do it as well -
Jeez, maybe? I just never imagined such an expensive new guitar would come with "some assembly required" attachment? I mean, we are talking about Collings, not IKEA.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

To OP, no I don't think you're being picky. As guitar prices have risen and buyers have extended what we're willing to pay, IMO I don't think luthiers have kept up with reasonable expectations for the cases provided. E.g., A few years ago I looked at a presentation level guitar (Brazilian, inlay, etc.) that was nearly $15K. I wasn't necessarily "inspecting" the case but I was also checking out a $2500 guitar at the same "sitting" from the same luthier. Both guitars were out on stands. When it came time to put them away there was a moment of confusion because the cases were identical. It struck me, a $2.5k vs $15K guitar, with the same "average" case provided. It just didn't seem right. By contrast in 2012 I purchased a special run Martin Custom Shop 000. The case provided has a beautiful embroidered "Martin Custom Shop" logo on the top of the case and a Satin/Velvet shroud (again embroidered) that lays over the top of the guitar inside the case when closed. Of course, the guitar is the main star, but I smile every time I see that case (it's also very well made) and it makes me feel even more delighted with the guitar. Bottom line IMHO, With the prices being charged/paid today for fine guitars, cases should at least meet the quality of the guitar inside. I agree they don't always do so.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:51 PM

Default a thought

Lots of chatter about the purchaser getting run around the block by Collings. News flash: OP didn't buy the guitar from Collings, he bought it from the dealer. I think the dealer has to pony up and satisfactorily replace the defective case. Dealer could have saved himself a bunch of trouble by not getting greedy and pushing a problem onto the customer. The dealer ought to own the problem.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

I have it on good intel that this (QC issues) is a long-term ongoing problem. The photo the OP presents above could be the one I sent to my luthier who sent it to TKL. I have to say, to the OP, I am surprised that YOU are having to deal with this. I would think that the dealer you purchased from would be the one to take care of this matter but, whatever, you have started the process so, yes, it certainly makes sense to see what they say.

FYI, when I dealt with the issue, TKL sent me a shipping label and shipped it back to me as well; I did not pay. But the long time w/no case was definitely an issue.

And no, you should not have to try to retrofit the case. If you tweak it out of shape somehow then the company would never pony up for repairs or replacement.

Last edited by Dogma; 10-18-2021 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

It’s a $179 case retail - probably cost Collings about $90 - and theres a good probability it was a lot less than that. It’s more than adequate for what it’s sold for. What I’ve seen happen with these cases is the basic plywood form is OK, but the vinyl gets glued on the outside and as if dries/cures it shrinks a bit - it pulls on the form and because the upper part is open, it spreads - just a little bit. I’ve found that if I put a soft grip clamp at the widest part and compress it about a ¼”, and let it sit for a day or two (in the sun helps), when you take the clamp off it lines up and closes flawlessly. Nothing gets damaged or scarred -

Personally, I’d recommend a Visesnut case - they’re about $800 - but they are much more durable, weather and humidity resistant, stronger, lighter, and fully adjustable to fit your guitar amazingly well. Come with a shoulder strap so you can easily carry your guitar over your shoulder and have both hands free for other equipment. Also, no metal latch tongues to accidentally “bite” your guitar. And it’ll support a few hundred pounds if it gets caught under some other equipment, or gets stepped on.

Oh - and the case material hold onto stickers really well too. ;-)

But - if y’all are happier making it into a big deal, or just need more drama in your lives, don’t even try it - no skin off my nose -
Old 10-18-2021, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Jeez, maybe? I just never imagined such an expensive new guitar would come with "some assembly required" attachment? I mean, we are talking about Collings, not IKEA.
Actually, no - not Collings, TKL - if Collings made the case, I’m sure it would be perfectly aligned, and the guitar would probably cost $500, maybe $750 more. And customers would be asking if they could save money by not taking the Collings case and just getting a TKL -
Old 10-19-2021, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

My Case, Cedar Creek which is by TKL (now, perhaps not always,) costs the luthier $600 in the L-00 size. I had it and the same case which came w/my Goodall GC ($675, a bit larger) priced by the luthiers last month for insurance. The prices went way up sometime recently.

I'd be surprised if the Collings comes in a lesser model case, but...?
Old 10-19-2021, 01:12 AM

The same exact thing happened to me a number of years ago. I contacted TKL and sent photos and described that the case was warped and wouldn't close cleanly.

Eventually, it was replaced by TKL, but it did take quite a bit of justifying.

To me, this is an important issue and not too picky. Taking your guitar in and out of the case can more easily result in "case bite" if the case opens or closes awkwardly.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

The TKL Collings uses retails for $400 plus shipping. The Collings Vintage case, once built by Collings but now discontinued, was $995 retail plus shipping.

Last edited by Zissou Intern; 10-20-2021 at 09:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-20-2021, 12:06 AM

This is precisely why Bill Collings began to build his own cases..
Froggy Bottom P12
Collings OM2H
SCGC Parlour
Kronbauer TDK Mini Jumbo
Danocaster Tele
Heritage H535/Bareknuckles
Taylor T5 Custom
Contreras nylon
Old 10-20-2021, 02:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530 View Post
This is precisely why Bill Collings began to build his own cases..
Very true. He knew he could build a better one and he did.

I had a new TKL through Collings that gave me similar trouble. They promptly exchanged it with no questions asked.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:20 AM
Charter Member

i know what you are saying about the case lid. in the past i have encountered this issue. each time i open the lid and give it a strong arm "tweak" in the direction the case lid needs to move, all three times that fixed it.

latches that are loose fitting or not seeming to line up can also be tweaked if you look at the latch and understand what it needs to tighten up or straighten up. usually its a very minor push, pull, or compression of an area or part on the latch. a screwdriver or correct size pliers can correct things in fast order.

and i agree that the dealer should be handling this issue if you want a replacement.

good luck
d
Old 10-20-2021, 06:38 AM

An update: Got this email from TKL this morning:

"regarding your Collings case - Collings would replace your case and I will pick up the case you currently have with the lid problem. If you do not have a box to send the defective case back in, you can wait until you do get the new case.."

So, looks like they are taking care of it.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
An update: Got this email from TKL this morning:

"regarding your Collings case - Collings would replace your case and I will pick up the case you currently have with the lid problem. If you do not have a box to send the defective case back in, you can wait until you do get the new case.."

So, looks like they are taking care of it.
Good outcome and it didn’t take long either.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion