The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-04-2021, 02:28 PM

Put a sheet of parchment paper under the top. Clamp one side (top face up) to the surface. Use another clamp to hold the other side down to the surface. Before clamping the second side push that side toward the other side then clamp. Notice no glue? Practice doing it, two people would help. When you are comfortable in the operation, glue and clamp. Good luck. The upside of all this? You are learning.
Old 10-04-2021, 05:34 PM

Sounds like the OP already did the job. I too believe that clamping pressure is of absolute importance. I know some use tape to clamp top halves together but the only time I ever had a failure on that joint was when I used tape. It's simply NOT enough pressure. You could have certainly built a jig to clamp such a thing. About ten minutes of thought and maybe 15 minutes of implementation would solve that problem. Having said all that, I still think you will be just fine.

I know sometimes when you critique other advice it comes off as adversary but I do not mean it too... In this type of case a splint is not necessary. Splints are used on repairs that have contamination, are opened up so much they will never close again, and so on. This is a simple crack that happened by accident on top that has never been stressed, not a vintage guitar that has been warped again and again in time. Put it to you this way, if it needed a splint then I would agree that it's time to trash the top and start over. But with this repair, fix it and carry on.

Oh and BTW if something happens to the guitar in 15 years come back to this thread and let us know
Old 10-04-2021, 06:24 PM

Default I agree

An expert has spoken. Glue, a couple of clamping blocks, a clamp, a good night's sleep, on to the next adventure. And there will be one.
Old 10-05-2021, 04:47 AM

Torrefied..
Gives a nice color, but the wood becomes brittle, with more chance of splitting and cracking.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:32 PM

Thanks everyone!!!

Bruce, I would seriously consider starting over if I was building this for someone or was going to sell it, but this if my first, serial #001. Its not going anywhere.
I squeezed some Titebond in the crack and used some binding tape to pull it together. Seems to have done the trick, can no longer see the crack and seems structurally sound although I am really tugging too hard on it (beads of sweat form). We will see how it works out.
Truth be told if this is the worst thing that happens in this build I will be happy!!
Alot more potential forum posts I'm sure. Still have a ways to go!
Old 10-07-2021, 08:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

You will find out the truth about the efficacy of your repair when you do the finish, at which point it is much more difficult to do anything further about it.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:15 PM

Default a thought

Thus is OP's first project. This repair will likely be invisible, and first projects seldom render perfection, there's just plain too much to surprise us or which will need more practice. Besides which OP can benefit from seeing the other side of the repair. I've been there, recently. I encourage OP to finish the project to the limits of his skills, and apply the learning to further projects. He's going to have something quite rare which will impress everyone he shows it to. Not many folks get guitars done by their own hands. Celebrate.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
cracked top