The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-04-2021, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Question unwound low G vs. wound low G tenor ukulele

At the start of the pandemic, I decided to try my hand at the tenor sized ukulele, and once I wrapped my head around that G shapes on the guitar are really C shapes on the ukulele etc. it started coming together for me. My question is this, and hopefully it won't involve mudslinging For people that play low G, which do you prefer and why - unwound low G or wound low G?
Old 09-04-2021, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

I use a low G on my Ohana tenors. I like the wound for its sustain. In my group teaching class, my tenor with low G gives bottom to the group sound. However, I don't like that wound stings don't last very long. As far as the unwound low G, it has a smoother sound with a longer lifespan and a little more balance with the other strings. I like this unwound set https://www.daddario.com/products/gu...e-tenor-low-g/

Hopefully this helps a little.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

Last edited by jricc; 09-05-2021 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:25 PM

I have a tenor with low G and a six string tenor with low A. My preference are Aquila red for both as they can last long and they they are a great fit sound wise with Nylgut strings. I have also tried Aquila wound on both ukes and while they sound ok they don't last long and start to unravel after about 15 hours of playing time. Right now I am trying a d'addario guitar string on my six string as I think this is what they bundle with their Nyltech strings and it sounds ok, but will see how long it lasts. I would discourage you to replace a high G with low G as that is likely to give an unbalanced sound but rather get a set that includes a low G. For Nylon strings you can only get wound strings, but for Aquila and many Fluorocarbon flavours you can get plain and wound options.
Old 09-09-2021, 01:55 AM
Charter Member

unwound forever!
slides are more beautiful without the "wound". and as someone else mentioned, the balance overall.

highly recommend Daniel Ho PHD string set-order from Daniel himself, get it in 2 days. excellent strings(low or high G sets).

d
Old 09-09-2021, 12:36 PM

It is also worth mentioning that there are LaBella100—G flatwound /polished brass wound strings that give a smooth feel and may last longer than silver wound. I have not tried them myself but they are very popular in the uke community and also repackaged by other uke string brands such as Fremont, Pepe Romero, and others.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments