The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-30-2019, 08:12 AM

Default Switching strings for middle and ring picking fingers?

Does anyone fingerpick with their picking fingers assigned as follows?:

Index = Third string
RING = Second string
MIDDLE = First string

So in other words, the middle and ring fingers are switched around.

I noticed that if I place my picking fingers on the strings like that, it feels better than the standard way; it feels like my fingers land more naturally on the strings that way, and they don't get in the way of each other in the way that they do in the standard way.

But then I try to actually pick the strings using the switched-around way and it all goes wrong in a hurry!

But I feel that if I stuck to the new way I would eventually develop it into a better technique for me than using the standard way.

So I thought I'd see if anyone else (on here or famous--or preferably both!) plays that way, or has tried it.

Obviously assigning fingers to strings is only a general rule that is frequently broken for good reason, so I'm just talking about a variation to that general rule here.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:38 AM

That doesn't seem ergonomic at all, and I can't imagine how one could ever get high speed and accuracy this way.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 10-30-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
That doesn't seem ergonomic at all, and I can't imagine how one could ever get high speed and accuracy this way.
It is actually ergonomic for me. If I use my fingers in the standard way, my middle and ring fingers rub against each other, which slows me down, but if I reverse them then there is clearance, although it slows me down even more right now, because it's new to me. Also my middle finger is obviously longer than my ring finger, so it easily reaches the first string.

My guitar already has a wide string spacing at the saddle (2-5/16"), otherwise I might be thinking of trying something wider to see if it helps to separate the middle and ring fingers a bit.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
It is actually ergonomic for me. If I use my fingers in the standard way, my middle and ring fingers rub against each other, which slows me down, but if I reverse them then there is clearance, although it slows me down even more right now, because it's new to me. Also my middle finger is obviously longer than my ring finger, so it easily reaches the first string.
I say do whatever works. There are no standard rules for folk/blues/country fingerstyle, every player finds their own method.

I agree that your method seems weird and awkward - I certainly find it unnatural, and maybe it's working for you because your hand position is unusual? I certainly think that fact that you're finding it slower at the moment is a warning.

Personally, I "break the rules" by using middle and ring as my prime fingers, only adding the index in when I actually need 3 fingers together. It made sense to me because the middle finger is the longest one, and if you play with the wrist resting on the bridge, then the index has to stretch further to reach the strings.
But I didn't use any reasoning, it just felt natural to use the middle finger first, and nobody taught me otherwise.
The ring tucked in behind it and - unlike you - it naturally fell on the higher strings than the middle did, and the fingers didn't get in the way of each other. When I do use all three, then I find the classical orthodoxy feels natural, although each finger is restricted to its allocated string. The middle roams around, while the ring (if used) picks the string above, and index (if used) picks the string below. The thumb also roams up to 3rd occasionally, even to 2nd sometimes (but that's rare)

If you're interested you can see my own "weird" RH technique here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5LZ4s4mPKM
That's the same position I'd use for classical tunes, with the wrist off the guitar. For Travis style, or blues playing, the wrist would be on the bridge. You'll notice how close the thumb is to the index - if I was to pick that pattern with index too, it would start colliding with the thumb with my hand in that position; which is why if I was playing a piece which required all three fingers, I'd adjust my hand into a more "correct" classical position, and probably hold the guitar neck a little higher so the right wrist didn't have to bend sideways too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
My guitar already has a wide string spacing at the saddle (2-5/16"), otherwise I might be thinking of trying something wider to see if it helps to separate the middle and ring fingers a bit.
Could be a good idea. But also check your hand position.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
I say do whatever works. There are no standard rules for folk/blues/country fingerstyle, every player finds their own method.

I agree that your method seems weird and awkward - I certainly find it unnatural, and maybe it's working for you because your hand position is unusual? I certainly think that fact that you're finding it slower at the moment is a warning.

Personally, I "break the rules" by using middle and ring as my prime fingers, only adding the index in when I actually need 3 fingers together. It made sense to me because the middle finger is the longest one, and if you play with the wrist resting on the bridge, then the index has to stretch further to reach the strings.
But I didn't use any reasoning, it just felt natural to use the middle finger first, and nobody taught me otherwise.
The ring tucked in behind it and - unlike you - it naturally fell on the higher strings than the middle did, and the fingers didn't get in the way of each other. When I do use all three, then I find the classical orthodoxy feels natural, although each finger is restricted to its allocated string. The middle roams around, while the ring (if used) picks the string above, and index (if used) picks the string below. The thumb also roams up to 3rd occasionally, even to 2nd sometimes (but that's rare)

If you're interested you can see my own "weird" RH technique here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5LZ4s4mPKM
That's the same position I'd use for classical tunes, with the wrist off the guitar. For Travis style, or blues playing, the wrist would be on the bridge. You'll notice how close the thumb is to the index - if I was to pick that pattern with index too, it would start colliding with the thumb with my hand in that position; which is why if I was playing a piece which required all three fingers, I'd adjust my hand into a more "correct" classical position, and probably hold the guitar neck a little higher so the right wrist didn't have to bend sideways too much.

Could be a good idea. But also check your hand position.
Thanks for your reply. Nice playing on Toy Balloon!

Well, after trying my new index-ring-middle technique quite enthusiastically for a few days I don't think it will work out long-term, so it's back to my regular technique, which is to mostly play with thumb, index, and middle, and occasionally bringing in the ring finger (in conventional fashion, in index-middle-ring formation), when I can do so without it getting in the way or slowing me down.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:11 PM

If that's normal for you then go with it. I'm not sure if the comprehensive dynamics and various patterns and mixes of finger picking will support your continuing use of this change-up, but you'll be the first to learn that.

I think I'd make every effort to retrain my picking hand rather than compromise by subordinating music to finger usage that will ultimately prove to be limited.

I assign my thumb to the 5th/6th strings and four fingers to the 4th thru the 1st strings. That's how I originally taught myself and it works well. My little finger is on the order in size to most people's index finger, meaning, I have a lot of power in its use. That said, I'm pretty fluid with change-ups and can manage most patterns and dynamics at this point.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:45 PM

I say go with it and see where it gets you but just remember that old habits die hard, so if your seemingly unorthodox style doesn't work, well... But then Merle Travis played everything with just two fingers so what does that tell you, real guitar playing is about velocity not just speed.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joscefi78 View Post
I say go with it and see where it gets you but just remember that old habits die hard, so if your seemingly unorthodox style doesn't work, well... But then Merle Travis played everything with just two fingers .
You mean thumb and one finger.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write