The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-07-2009, 09:13 AM

Exclamation Help needed - new to this

First of all , hello to everyone on the forum,
After coming out of work after a nasty accident, i needed a hobby to keep me sane so i just got myself a cheapish acoustic guitar, and at the age of 39 started learning myself (no money for lessons at the minute). I have been using justinguitar.com for about 2 months and have found it helpful but seem to have come to a standstill. i know all 8 open chords and am practicing chord progression between these 8.
What else should i be doing???
cheers pedro
Old 10-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Musical minimalist

learning the barre chords and their variations, listening to the music you want to play and seeing if you can figure out what key they are in, and what chord progressions to develop your "ear". Have fun with it......

Old 10-07-2009, 09:57 AM

I would suggest looking up the chords for some of your favorite songs so you have something meaningful and fun to play as you learn to change chords smoothly. It will also help you get used to singing and playing at the same time. Just do a search for "(title) chords" or "(title) tabs" and you'll find plenty at sites like "ultimateguitartab" and many, many others.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:20 PM
HarleySpirit

Hi Pedro,
Welcome to the forum!
Playing guitar can be a very rewarding hobby for sure! As a teacher, I recommend you learn/practise your strums or fingerpicking, next. The right hand is just as important to develop. Have fun and good luck!
Old 10-07-2009, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro View Post
First of all , hello to everyone on the forum,
After coming out of work after a nasty accident, i needed a hobby to keep me sane so i just got myself a cheapish acoustic guitar, and at the age of 39 started learning myself (no money for lessons at the minute). I have been using justinguitar.com for about 2 months and have found it helpful but seem to have come to a standstill. i know all 8 open chords and am practicing chord progression between these 8.
What else should i be doing???
cheers pedro
Hi pedro...
Welcome to the forum. I hope you find a lot of help here...

I suggest you find a guitar playing friend who knows more chords than you and who loves to show his/her chords to other players and who loves to play music. It will take you further than you know...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-08-2009, 06:43 AM

thanks for the replys, ill take it all on board.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi pedro...
Welcome to the forum. I hope you find a lot of help here...

I suggest you find a guitar playing friend who knows more chords than you and who loves to show his/her chords to other players and who loves to play music. It will take you further than you know...

My playing always progresses at an exponential rate when playing with players better than I am. I learn new chord progressions, chords and my changes become smoother as I'm forced to keep up with them. Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write