The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

I much prefer PowerTab (free) to TablEdit both for tabbing out my own music and for learning a piece off of someone else's tab. Power tabs are widely available on the internet, or used to be before the industry crack down.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-09-2009, 09:12 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
This last bit of tablature posted above looks like it came from the TablEdit program. This is a wonderful program. There is lots of tablature on the web in this format ( .tef files), and there is a free tef file reader program you can download (sort of analogous to what Acrobat Reader is for PDF files).
That's right (it's my transcription of "You'd be so Nice to Come Home to"). TablEdit is a very powerful program for a good price, but the steep initial learning-curve turns off a lot of people. It takes quite a lot of practice and experimentation to make accurate, presentable tabs in that software (the one above can look appreciably better with the right formatting).
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )

Last edited by mmmaak; 10-10-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:30 PM

The newest version of TablEdit will read PowerTab files too.

I've never used the PowerTab program, so I can't compare it to TablEdit. I should check if out sometime.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:00 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
The newest version of TablEdit will read PowerTab files too.

I've never used the PowerTab program, so I can't compare it to TablEdit. I should check if out sometime.
In my opinion, PowerTab isn't nearly as powerful. But then we're comparing a completely free product to commercial software. Not a fair match, obviously

For most users, I think PowerTab does what it does really well, and at a great "price"!
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write