The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-22-2019, 02:32 AM

Default Replacement or repair.

There is clearly a fault in the glue joint between the black purfling line and the rosewood back. Nearly all acoustic guitars use a reinforcement strip on the instrument’s inside, running down centre and supporting this joint. For that reason I’m quite surprised this joint has failed. Rosewood is an oily hardwood and needs proper preparation before gluing joints. If the purfling line is ebony, I suppose it’s feasible that this has shrunk - something ebony is very prone to -and broken the glue joint. Whatever the reason it needs remedying for both cosmetic and structural reasons.

You should ask for a replacement instrument or alternatively an invisible repair. I wouldn’t accept this on an inexpensive instrument, let alone a a high value Martin. Contact the dealer as a first port of call. If you love this particular guitar I think my preference would be for an authorised Martin repair even if this means your without the guitar for a while. Should a replacement be available there’s always a risk that it will not sound as good; you could of course ask to play any alternative instrument and make your own judgement.

Unless remedied it is likely this fault will always leave you feeling short-changed.

All the best with getting this resolved and let us know what the outcome is.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikpearson View Post
There is clearly a fault in the glue joint between the black purfling line and the rosewood back. Nearly all acoustic guitars use a reinforcement strip on the instrument’s inside, running down centre and supporting this joint. For that reason I’m quite surprised this joint has failed. Rosewood is an oily hardwood and needs proper preparation before gluing joints. If the purfling line is ebony, I suppose it’s feasible that this has shrunk - something ebony is very prone to -and broken the glue joint. Whatever the reason it needs remedying for both cosmetic and structural reasons.

You should ask for a replacement instrument or alternatively an invisible repair. I wouldn’t accept this on an inexpensive instrument, let alone a a high value Martin. Contact the dealer as a first port of call. If you love this particular guitar I think my preference would be for an authorised Martin repair even if this means your without the guitar for a while. Should a replacement be available there’s always a risk that it will not sound as good; you could of course ask to play any alternative instrument and make your own judgement.

Unless remedied it is likely this fault will always leave you feeling short-changed.

All the best with getting this resolved and let us know what the outcome is.
I agree with how you say the OP should remedy this but feel like this is not a structural issue. It looks like the nitrocellular finish didn't fully adhere to the back strip and it shrank and checked in transit.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I agree with how you say the OP should remedy this but feel like this is not a structural issue. It looks like the nitrocellular finish didn't fully adhere to the back strip and it shrank and checked in transit.
Let’s say best case scenario is it is indeed only in the finish. If left untreated do you believe that it will slowly get worse? Sort of like a crack in a car windshield. The vibrations of the guitar being played sure could t help. The more I think about it the more it seems I need to count my losses and return it. Very sad.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockguy475 View Post
My only problem with that is I may not be able to exchange for another. This was one of the limited D42 customs Martin put out. Only 50 made. I ordered this from local guitar center and the guitar was shipped to my store. They are completely fresh out and if you search for it online it says: Order Now! Expected to Ship 07-25-2019
If you can get a new one by late July or early August that would be my choice. It’s not much different than waiting for a custom. That defect could hurt the value and salability for the foreseeable future. To me you deserve what you payed for a new unflawed guitar.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Center strips exist because when a back shrinks it will at a certain point need to crack, and the center stem is the weak link forcing the crack to happen there. I learned this 50 years ago when I started building. I wonder if there are any other signs of inadequate humidification on this instrument? New or old, it only taken a couple of weeks to develop this condition.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:14 AM

The classical guitar builders used to make marquetry center strips so that they would act as a sort of expansion joint like you might see on a concrete bridge. Eventually you almost always see some sort of movement there.

That being a new guitar though, that's a tough call. If you really like the guitar and you know it cannot be replaced then perhaps you could negotiate a better price for it and use that money to get it fixed right.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:16 AM

Based on your two closeup photos, it doesn't look at all like there's a crack or separation along the backstrip. It looks more like the finish has lifted over the black purfling lines or there is some excess squeeze out glue that wasn't completely removed that shows under the finish. If either of these is correct, it's just an aesthetic issue, not a structural one.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:18 PM

I went ahead and returned the guitar on my lunch break today..... was not an easy thing to do but I really do feel like if I spend over $7K on a guitar it should not have these issues. I was in a position of doing nothing and having the finish crack get worse over time with constant vibrations, send it to Martin for free repair with I’m sure over a 6 month turnaround time, or pay someone to fix it which was not happening.

Guitar Center was very friendly in doing the return for me and and didn’t give me a hard time at all. Customer service was great.

Now the search continues....
Old 04-22-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockguy475 View Post
I went ahead and returned the guitar on my lunch break today..... was not an easy thing to do but I really do feel like if I spend over $7K on a guitar it should not have these issues. I was in a position of doing nothing and having the finish crack get worse over time with constant vibrations, send it to Martin for free repair with I’m sure over a 6 month turnaround time, or pay someone to fix it which was not happening.

Guitar Center was very friendly in doing the return for me and and didn’t give me a hard time at all. Customer service was great.

Now the search continues....
I’m sure this was a disappointing and tough thing to do. I would have done the same. It was an awesome guitar I’m sure. Can you get the same deal on the ones you mentioned coming in July.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmitz54 View Post
I’m sure this was a disappointing and tough thing to do. I would have done the same. It was an awesome guitar I’m sure. Can you get the same deal on the ones you mentioned coming in July.
It wouldn’t be a sure thing but it’s possible. I’ve got my eye now on a D41 in ambertone finish. Really impressed with all the new Martin standard series upgrades. I wasn’t aware they had made all these changes until recently.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:48 PM

Bought a new 42 last year from largest Martin dealer in State and upon installation of K&K, Luthier found a split down Spuce top bond line that ran under bridge. No way I’m having that fixed on a new guitar. Dealer returned and they made me another. I think the second was a bit louder and a bit sweeter. Regardless, it gets better every time I play it. Best guitar I’ve owned.... ever

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair