The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-20-2019, 08:00 PM

Default Side Bending Cutaway Question

Sorry if this should be in the General Discussion area....I'm hoping for responses from Pro builders.

Question: I was watching a side bending video from Blues Creek Guitars and the presenter mentioned if you profile your sides before bending, in the cut-away area to add about 3/8" outside the normal profile, but did not explain why. So....why?

(the presenter was using a bending machine, not free bending)

Craig
Old 04-20-2019, 08:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Craig, it’s because of the doming of the back. If you imagine the edge of the guitar being the floor of the dome, anything toward the center of the back is deeper than the sides. When doing a cutaway, you’re pulling the sides quicker toward the center of the back causing them to deepen more than the normal side profile. If you don’t add the extra wood, you will find your sides won’t reach to where they need to be to join the back.

(I’m describing this in a visual sense not in a building sense, but the point remains the same.)

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 04-20-2019, 08:49 PM

Ah ok...the light bulb just went on! ....Thank you for the response Ryan.
So how soon do you need to "add the wood"? where the cut-away begins at the upper bout?

In that same principal, wouldn't you need to do the same at the waist?

Craig

Never mind...I think I figured it out, it's because of the taper from the heel/lower bout to the upper bout/neck, and that taper can begin at the waist.

Craig

Last edited by Ganes; 04-20-2019 at 09:37 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop