The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2019, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Default 2011 Guild 000-GAD F20 NA

So I'd like to buy a cheap, but good sounding travel/campfire/party-at-friends-house guitar. There is guy here locally advertising a 2011 Guild 000-GAD F20 NA guitar in what looks to be pristine shape for $300, and I could possibly buy it a bit cheaper. It's supposed to be solid wood, and comes with a HSC.

Is anybody familiar with this guitar? I don't know anything at all about Guilds. Is the price fair?

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:20 PM

I am not familiar with that model but when it comes to imported Guilds many people like the GAD series better than the current Westerly series.

2011? That may be actual mahogany.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
I am not familiar with that model but when it comes to imported Guilds many people like the GAD series better than the current Westerly series.

2011? That may be actual mahogany.
The GAD's were solid wood guitars.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWW View Post
The GAD's were solid wood guitars.
That does not tell me what kind of wood. The current D-40s, even the expensive D-40 Traditional, are Khaya, not mahogany.

My 2011 U.S. built F-30 Std., which was the most inexpensive U.S. built line at the time, is mahogany. I suspect, given that this is 7-8 years ago, that the Chinese factories are also mahogany. But I don't know that for sure.

And before somebody posts it, I get that there may be little tonal difference, and some people might prefer the Khaya. However, there are people who want their mahogany guitars to be actual mahogany, and who therefore may care which wood is used.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion