The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2019, 07:52 AM

Location: St. Charles County in Missouri. St. Charles County is just north across the Missouri River from St. Louis County.

By the way,
Your forum name is my very favorite Electric guitar 10" speaker. Even compared to Celestion's G10 Greenback and G10 Gold AlNiCo the Eminence Ragin Cajun rules.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragincajun View Post
I have no problem with that. My fiancée, on the other hand, would unfortunately have a problem with me acquiring another guitar 6 months after getting the OM28.

Maybe for my next thread,I can get some advice from some veterans of marriage on convincing a spouse that one DOES in fact need another guitar. [emoji2]
Ha!
stick around.....there's plenty of advice here for that too!
Old 04-20-2019, 08:17 AM

I am quite fond of my 000-18. When I tried it out at my local store, it spoke the words I wanted to hear and I took it home.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 04-20-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
Good first post! The 000’s are great guitars. If you’re serious about buying one, I’d recommend looking at some dealer customs. For a small increase in price you can get construction by the most skilled craftsmen in the shop, the best materials, Adirondack tops and bracing, real mahogany necks, Geib cases and other goodies.

I see you already own an OM so you know the drill.
Amen to this.
Martin CEO-7
Custom Huss and Dalton DS 12 fret
Cole-Clark FL3AC
American standard strat
Old 04-20-2019, 09:46 AM

Stars and moons alignment with this thread...

Just last week, I snagged a new 000-18 from a buddy of mine, who loves rotating guitars for the fun of it.

This Taylor fanboy found room in his heart for several Martins over the past year or so. Oddly enough, they all seem to get along and play well together...and the world hasn't imploded!
'20 PRS P20
'19 Yamaha FS830
Old 04-20-2019, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

I had a 000-18 a while back, and it just didn't sound like what I expected...a lot softer tone than the sound in my head (which was probably a dreadnought...). So I traded it here to someone on the classifieds. Since then, I've played several 000-18's that sound great! Oh well...it was probably just me.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:50 PM

I’ve got an old, straight braced 000-18.
It has taught me there’s something special about this model.
Happy Hunting !
Old 04-20-2019, 02:09 PM

Love mine more every day.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:39 PM

The first OM guitar was about 1930. It had a 25.4 scale and1 3/4nut with 14 or was it 15 frets to the body. Todays 000 shortscale 14 fret came later but I dont know when.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nctom View Post
I had a new 000-18 briefly, but swapped it for a new 0-18 instead. Whichever, the new -18 s are some serious guitars. Get one and enjoy!
Can you tell the story for this preference? I’m waiting for the 000-28MD to arrive at my dealer. Meanwhile, I’ve been sampling various smaller 18s, especially his customs with Adi tops and bracing. I found the 000 and 00-18s to be very attractive but felt like the single 0 fell off too much in volume.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragincajun View Post
I have no problem with that. My fiancée, on the other hand, would unfortunately have a problem with me acquiring another guitar 6 months after getting the OM28.

Maybe for my next thread,I can get some advice from some veterans of marriage on convincing a spouse that one DOES in fact need another guitar. [emoji2]
Well, you’re not married yet....

But if you must, you better do a couple of things. First, before that eventful day, you need to sit her down and explain to her that guitar playing is part of who you are will be part of your life, every day, for the rest of your life. It gives you joy, just like she does. You would love for her to get involved in it and share your love for music making but if she can’t, then she must respect it, support it, and allow it to grow or there’s going to be a problem. In return, you commit to respecting the family finances but she should expect the guitar collection to ebb and flow. Secondly, slowly build a cash-stash to around $3k that you can apply toward trades and purchases without the full amounts coming through in credit card bills that she will see and get excited about.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
Well, you’re not married yet....

But if you must, you better do a couple of things. First, before that eventful day, you need to sit her down and explain to her that guitar playing is part of who you are will be part of your life, every day, for the rest of your life. It gives you joy, just like she does. You would love for her to get involved in it and share your love for music making but if she can’t, then she must respect it, support it, and allow it to grow or there’s going to be a problem. In return, you commit to respecting the family finances but she should expect the guitar collection to ebb and flow. Secondly, slowly build a cash-stash to around $3k that you can apply toward trades and purchases without the full amounts coming through in credit card bills that she will see and get excited about.

We’ve more or less had “the talk” and are on the same page that as long as we aren’t going hungry because I just had to have that small shop custom build we’ll be fine. As much as I love the boxes of wood I own now, there will always be another box of wood that’s bigger or smaller with different tone woods and appointments. I think that’s hard to communicate to people that don’t play. They don’t notice/appreciate the nuances between various guitars. That’s a whole different thread though.

Back to 18 series Martins, I’d love to try a D18V one of these days. Heard they’re special as well.

Grandpa's Washburn
Taylor 114ce
Gibson Southern Jumbo
Old 04-20-2019, 08:19 PM

I quite have grown with Taylors (510, GS-5, 412ce, 322), but my Martin OOO-18 is really one of a kind !
Well, akin my Gibson L-OOTV, and Larrivees L-03koa and OM-09 though. ;-)
Old 04-22-2019, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
I had a 000-18 a while back, and it just didn't sound like what I expected...a lot softer tone than the sound in my head (which was probably a dreadnought...). So I traded it here to someone on the classifieds. Since then, I've played several 000-18's that sound great! Oh well...it was probably just me.
Several years ago, when the newer version of the 000-18 came out,I purchased one.

Mine too had a bit of a "softer" sound.Still excellent, but not as loud or punchy as my current 00-18 MFG custom...

Gabe
Old 04-22-2019, 10:06 AM

I love the 18 series too. I went shopping for an 000-18 and ended up with an 00-18, because the size felt a little more comfortable and I didn't perceive any difference in sound between the models I tested (both sounded great). It's been my daily player for over two years now, and just keeps sounding and feeling better and better to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion