The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2019, 07:33 AM

Thank you all. Good ideas. I might contact the seller and try to start a dialogue and maybe learn more.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:56 AM

Default Would you buy this Taylor (heel damage?)

This is very common among Taylors in my experience. They fill that gap with some sort of filler that pulls apart any time the neck is adjusted, or if it just dries out over time.

I would not consider this a problem - I’d consider it cosmetic, and a way to get a bargain on a guitar.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:03 AM

If you can have a well qualified luthier or repair tech look at the guitar, it may be a guitar worth buying. It looks like somebody tried doing their own neck adjustment. It may be a simple and not too expensive fix.

Only if you can do this, should you consider this guitar.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
OK...........the replies were based on inexperience and lack of information.

Taylor neck is a bolt on. Angled shims underneath set the neck angle.

There is a deliberate designed-in gap around the neck.

Taylor uses a flexible putty to fill/hide the gap.

Even if the neck needed a reset, it's about a 5 minute job during a string change.

Fearing such an appearance is understandable with traditional glued on set-necks. Taylor's entire innovation (NT Neck) dissolves all of this.

By fearing neck joints, you are missing the entire point of a Taylor guitar. That's what they are entirely based upon.

Send me the link, if the price is good I'll buy it.
Best answer!!!
Old 04-18-2019, 09:57 AM

Congrats on moving up.
I have a few acoustic guitars and I absolutely love my deluxe 210e.
I bought it as a backup so that I wouldn't have to take my more expensive taylor out to "gig" or campground in cooler weather.
Took a chance on an auction site and got the guitar for less than 1/2 of what they're going for new. Upon receiving the guitar it was in MINT condition with not a fingerprint on it (pickguard sticker still intact). Deluxe HSC without a scratch on it.

Lets just say I got a great deal on it. Plugged in, it sounds very comparable to my more expensive Taylor. Couldn't be happier with the sound and craftmanship of the 210e, even if it is MIM.

If you make the plunge and there's nothing wrong with it, you'll be glad you did. Any way to play it before buying??? Always the best way to know.

Good Luck

respect that EVERY guitar is different!!!

Taylor 656ce
Taylor 610e
Taylor 210e DLX
Taylor W14
Taylor GS8
Taylor 356ce
BR-371
Gibson J-45 Custom Walnut/Adi
Martin D16-R
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Mextele
Gibson Les Paul Std
Gibson SG Std
Charvel Model 2
Old 04-18-2019, 09:59 AM

I contacted the buyer. I’m going to go check it out this afternoon. I’ll let y’all know what I ended up deciding.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:18 AM

Given what we can see and the lack of gap moving up the neck joint towards the top, I don't think it is a huge issue. If it is as easy to adjust the neck as others say it is (I don't know Taylors), I would think it would be a straightforward fix. (If there is anything wrong to begin with) A luthier that works on Taylors could take a quick look and tell you if the neck is wonky.

That said, I make my living solving technical problems and with a complete shop and tools, I have little reluctance to dive in.

Since we can't see it in person, it is completely your decision, of course.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
OK...........the replies were based on inexperience and lack of information.

Taylor neck is a bolt on. Angled shims underneath set the neck angle.

There is a deliberate designed-in gap around the neck.

Taylor uses a flexible putty to fill/hide the gap.

Even if the neck needed a reset, it's about a 5 minute job during a string change.

Fearing such an appearance is understandable with traditional glued on set-necks. Taylor's entire innovation (NT Neck) dissolves all of this.

By fearing neck joints, you are missing the entire point of a Taylor guitar. That's what they are entirely based upon.

Send me the link, if the price is good I'll buy it.
FAZOOL is correct. They do not use the filler puddy anymore, but years ago when I had a similar Taylor I called them to inquire. This was standard practice at the time.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:01 AM

Mine looks pretty much like that, and has since I first got it second-hand over three years ago (it's a 2008 model). I was also initially unsettled by it, but did some research and came up with the information that fazool posted.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:12 AM

I had a 2001 810ce with putty in a tiny gap in the same position. Seems like a good price to me.
I would check the intonation at the 12th fret and the open string.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:17 AM

"Would you buy this Taylor (heel damage?)?"

No, I would not buy this Taylor.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:46 PM

OP here with an update.
I did purchase it. For $350, $50 below the asking price. So I’m takin a bit of a gamble into the unknown, bolstered by some of the comments here.
I’m not sure what strings were on the guitar, but they felt strange and didn’t look like the normal stock strings. They are completely nickel looking. I’ll take a gauge to them tomorrow. The low notes sound very dead and muted. (Video link below) The strings do look clean. I’ll bring it either to my local independent shop, or one further away in St Paul that is and authorized Taylor shop. Thanks again for the advice.

https://youtu.be/6hO1VnUMBdI
Old 04-21-2019, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

I’d have taken the risk at that price. As discussed by others the bolt on neck is easily adjustable.

Keep us posted please.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 04-22-2019, 03:06 AM

Default The gap is not unusual...

As others have said, the design of Taylor’s NT neck joint can leave a small gap where the narrowest part of the heal meets the body. In my experience this gap varies, presumably because different instruments require different adjustment to achieve ideal neck geometry. I’m also thinking that the gap allows for future adjustment without having to remove material from the binding. On recent Taylors, my 814 included, I’ve notice this gap seems to be left free of caulking (putty), although a very fine line of caulking is still used at the fingerboard-soundboard interface.

I’d simply clean off the the putty residue, put some good phosphor bronze strings on the guitar and enjoy.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbruski View Post
OP here with an update.
I did purchase it. For $350, $50 below the asking price. So I’m takin a bit of a gamble into the unknown, bolstered by some of the comments here.
I’m not sure what strings were on the guitar, but they felt strange and didn’t look like the normal stock strings. They are completely nickel looking. I’ll take a gauge to them tomorrow. The low notes sound very dead and muted. (Video link below) The strings do look clean. I’ll bring it either to my local independent shop, or one further away in St Paul that is and authorized Taylor shop. Thanks again for the advice.

https://youtu.be/6hO1VnUMBdI
I recommend the Taylor shop because they will bring it to spec which could include a neck shim specifically designed by Taylor (this is part of the benefit of owning a Taylor with the bolt-on neck - neck angle adjustments are an easy fix). A non-Taylor luthier will not have this shim. Trust me, you will thank me later. I've owned 15 Taylors. BTW - I think you got a great deal. Keep us posted on the progress.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion