The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-21-2019, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Thanks Methos, I rarely ever plug my X7 into an amp. I should have mentioned that.
Since you rarely play plugged in I think yanking the UST system and trying a new bone saddle (vs shimming the existing one) is the way to go. If you want a pickup then maybe the Schatten that seems to be the flavor of the month for it's easy install and great tone. I would not recommend the K&K based on my experience.

I'm one of those that actually prefers the tone of my unplugged X7 to the tone of my unplugged X20. But I also play out and so I want the X7 to sound great plugged in as well. I'm thinking seriously of pulling the K&K and trying an active Schatten system.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I'm thinking seriously of pulling the K&K and trying an active Schatten system.
I have the passive Schatten in one of my guitars right now (which I absolutely love) but I also wanted one guitar to have an active system, the X20. Schatten basically has 2 active versions, one is the typical active pickup system with volume and tone controls powered by a 9V battery. The other is the Artist version, it's more expensive than the normal active system but it has the ability to add a second pickup and most important can be powered by phantom power (or a 9V). This was really appealing to me as you can still avoid the annoying batteries so that's the one I ordered. I was hoping to have it by now but maybe because of the increase in demand it's delayed.

Anyways I'm hoping to get it soon and I'll be doing a review of the system and posting it in the amplification section of the forum if you wanted to hold off for my thoughts and opinions on it. I will be adding a UST as a 2nd source and only as a backup in case I'm ever in a scenario where the SBT feeds back. As I'm primarily a strummer I'm not a fan of UST tone but they have their uses.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Can anyone recommend a source for the bone saddle ?
Old 04-21-2019, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
http://www.macnichol.com/
Old 04-21-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
This is the one I ordered. It's the closet in spec to the stock Emerald saddles and it's still from MacNichol guitars just through Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Unbleached-Sa...ll-spons&psc=1
Old 04-21-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Sounds like you were able to compare a schatten to the stock lr baggs?
Yes I had my X30 come with the full Anthem system and besides all the other negative things with the Anthem, tonally, the Schatten HFN is miles ahead IMO.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:11 AM
Charter Member

Another data point, based on a sample size of 1...when I removed the Baggs Element from my X20, the unplugged tone seemed to improve. My theory is that the wires and preamp dials attached to the soundboard had a dampening effect. Removing the transducer from under the bridge also lowered the action, and I just left it there. So while this perceived improvement may be the result of wishful thinking, it sounds good to me.

I installed a K&K and did need a preamp to clean up the signal, but now I am happy with the tone, acoustic and amplified.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

I think Emerald is dumping/selling a lot of poor builds they do as well as their good stuff. They "can" make an absolutely outstanding guitar, but they also sell every poor guitar they make too. Guitars, that should NEVER be put out for sale the way they sound. Even Custom ones for several thousand dollars. There, I said it, and it's absolutely true. New buyers, don't hesitate to send one of these back. If it doesn't WOW you, you've got one.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-23-2019 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Bashing
Old 04-23-2019, 09:24 AM
Guest 928

Puerto;

Its apparent that some has been escaping from the emerald Isle. I think we're seeing the results of success and enhanced levels of production--the more you make the likelihood of error increases.

It also seems clear that Emerald makes good on its errors, but can only do so when a buyer makes the call.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-23-2019 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Removed reference
Old 04-23-2019, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Maybe a little off topic? But another concern of my X7 is that I like to play it outside often, if the sun is out, it goes out of tune badly, not the same on all strings and as much as half a step on the fret board. None of my other CF guitars come even close to this. Now I am talking full sun hitting the guitar face, 70 degrees last time, and the big shift occurs when I go back in the house and the guitar cools down. All I can think of is to make sure the truss rod is tight, but after a setup, I assume it was adjusted. Maybe not. Or is it just the nature of the beast?
Old 04-23-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Maybe a little off topic? But another concern of my X7 is that I like to play it outside often, if the sun is out, it goes out of tune badly, not the same on all strings and as much as half a step on the fret board. None of my other CF guitars come even close to this. Now I am talking full sun hitting the guitar face, 70 degrees last time, and the big shift occurs when I go back in the house and the guitar cools down. All I can think of is to make sure the truss rod is tight, but after a setup, I assume it was adjusted. Maybe not. Or is it just the nature of the beast?
I honestly don't know what to tell you there. I put my Emerald's through the cold test in the winter which had no impact on the tuning. So far in spring my X20 has been sitting in the backseat of my truck while I'm at work. We haven't had any really extremely hot days yet but we had a few where the temp. inside my truck probably reached 20-25 deg C which also didn't impact the tuning.

I don't know what would be different between our guitars, strings maybe but would that be enough I really don't know. Hopefully others can chime in with their experiences. I bought CF for a reason and so far they held up to the test. It does get extremely hot here in the summer so I will update if the 35 deg C days have an impact on the tuning. On those days it will probably be more like 50 deg C inside my truck so I will have been through both ends of temperature extremes by then.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

It's not what you're paying or paid for either. They're played at the factory and it doesn't take much playing to know a dud.

Does anybody know of anybody who's ordered a Custom that was told, "hey, this guitar just doesn't sound the way it should, we're building you another one"??? Yea, me neither. That ain't right or possible.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-23-2019 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 04-23-2019, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
I think Emerald is dumping/selling a lot of poor builds they do as well as their good stuff. They "can" make an absolutely outstanding guitar, but they also sell every poor guitar they make too. Guitars, that should NEVER be put out for sale the way they sound. Even Custom ones for several thousand dollars. There, I said it, and it's absolutely true. New buyers, don't hesitate to send one of these back. If it doesn't WOW you, you've got one.
A bit harsh, don't you think? Given the materials and the production methods, I suspect that the variation between samples is probably way less than for wood guitars - not just for Emerald, but for any CF maker.

I don't recall anyone here referring to their guitar as poor. Also, given the numbers that Emerald is shipping these days, what gets talked about here is just a small percentage of their production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
Yea, kind of a weird selection of guitars too. I'll bet these are factory ones that didn't sell and are being off'ed.
Aah, now I recall - you posted this. Your 'bet' was demonstrably not true.

Do you have some personal experience to share?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-23-2019 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Edited quote; Adjusted accordingly
Old 04-23-2019, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

A lot seems to be made of "never having to tune" a carbon fiber guitar - I tune any of my guitars before I start a session. Granted, the carbon fiber guitars need less tuning attention than my wood guitars... but why would anyone not check the tuning before each session? No downside to checking/tuning.

That said, a carbon fiber guitar is more stable than wood, but the same metal strings go on both, and those are affected by temperature and humidity. I've noticed on my CF guitars (RainSong and Emerald), that any big change in temp results in a "nearly equal" change in the strings - i.e. they may all be a few cents sharp or flat. If one does not check the tuning, your ear would tell you it is "relatively" in tune. Tune it with another instrument, and it may need some minor adjustment.

As far as what Emerald is producing: I have 3 Emeralds. All three have been excellent workmanship. The first one I bought (former generation X7) had higher action than what I prefer, and at the first string change, I sanded down the saddle, made an oh-so-minor tweak on the truss rod, and have made no changes since that time, even though I have tried a variety of strings.

It isn't like I'm new at this, since I've been playing for over 50 years, but every Emerald I've come in contact with has been an excellent instrument. I don't understand the bashing of any brand. In the past decade, most of my wood guitars have been Taylors... never understood that bashing as well. I have no problem if someone doesn't like a particular brand, but with any carbon fiber guitar brand, it isn't like you can go to the local guitar shop and try 'em out, like you can with Taylors or Martins. (For full disclosure, I have never found a Martin that made me want to take it home, but I still respect the brand.) The odds that any player has had the opportunity to play a bunch of Emeralds (Kramster excluded), making their bashing of the entire brand a bit suspect for motive; well, to me.

"dumping and selling a lot of poor builds..."?? Hasn't been my experience.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-23-2019 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I'm thinking seriously of pulling the K&K and trying an active Schatten system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I'll be doing a review of the system and posting it in the amplification section of the forum if you wanted to hold off for my thoughts and opinions on it.
As can only happen to me, shortly after putting my thoughts of pulling the K&K from the X7 I quite suddenly started getting a usable, more-than-decent tone from it amplified. Go figure. It must have heard me talking. I've been using it the past several days as we practice for a big gig this weekend. As of this moment in time I'm planning on using the X7 as the 'starting pitcher' but the X20 will be in the bullpen just in case...

Quote:
This is odd. I have yet to experience this at all with any CF guitar including my X7.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber