The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-16-2019, 01:12 PM

Default Is it worth a neck reset?

I found this Yamaha Nippon Gakki FG-180 unplayable (and free) and put a bridge doctor in, fought the neck straight, sanded the bridge and saddle as much as I dared.

The outcome is a playable guitar with action still too high at the 12th fret. But, it sounds amazing. It roars, like my Taylor does, and that's not something you find every day.

I've done all I can do as an amateur, but I just really love the instrument. I realize a neck reset costs more or less depending on how hard it is to disengage the neck from the body, and other factors. Can anyone offer more suggestions on deciding whether or not to go for it? Factor in that I would have to drag it from West Africa, where I live most of the time, to New York state, and back.

My (old) tunes
Old 04-16-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredith View Post
I found this Yamaha Nippon Gakki FG-180 unplayable (and free) and put a bridge doctor in, fought the neck straight, sanded the bridge and saddle as much as I dared.

The outcome is a playable guitar with action still too high at the 12th fret. But, it sounds amazing. It roars, like my Taylor does, and that's not something you find every day.

I've done all I can do as an amateur, but I just really love the instrument. I realize a neck reset costs more or less depending on how hard it is to disengage the neck from the body, and other factors. Can anyone offer more suggestions on deciding whether or not to go for it? Factor in that I would have to drag it from West Africa, where I live most of the time, to New York state, and back.
Well, I can't get the photo up, but you know... It's an old Yamaha, they pretty much look alike.

My (old) tunes
Old 04-16-2019, 01:42 PM

My personal opinion of it is this, if you really love the guitar that much then yes it is. But you might need a new bridge too if you have sanded that down and want to get a neck reset. You are right though as far as cost is concerned it's not worth it but there is also value in something that you really like too so sometimes it's not all about money. In my repair shop I always make a point of it to customers and while most of them understand it and decide against it some for a variety of reasons want to get it done anyway.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair