The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-15-2019, 05:21 PM

I was shocked when I read the news a few hours ago. I wonder how many historical artifacts have been lost.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...you betcha...all it takes is a couple of paint or oil rags to spontaneously combust in the wrong place....
Or even a cigarette.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

I am still in shock over this horrendous fire at the Cathedral of Notre Dame. What an incredible loss! Almost 1000 years of history.

- Glenn
Old 04-15-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Wait - so "renovation" can cause a huge stone building to burst into flames???
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...you betcha...all it takes is a couple of paint or oil rags to spontaneously combust in the wrong place....
Writer Jack London built a beautiful home that he never got to live in. The final touches of the build was oiling all the woodwork (a common way to finish the surface). Well, a pile of oily rags sitting in a corner of the house caught fire.

There was a feature article on the house, years ago, in AB that was quite fascinating.

The stone walls are still standing.

Last edited by Jeff Scott; 04-15-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:02 PM

A sad day.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 04-15-2019, 10:01 PM

Such a grand and historic landmark that has survived the Crusades, world wars and now to be leveled by carelessness is tragic.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Very sad news indeed, but what a gorgeous pic, cmac. Thank you for sharing.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:32 AM
Charter Member

...the only time I visited Notre Dame was in 1974 with my half French girlfriend...I still remember vividly the experience...a quiet rainy Saturday afternoon....I”ve been to many of the great structures of Europe but only the Parthenon by moonlight gave me the same deep sense of reverence and reflection that I felt there...my condolences go out to the people of Paris and Catholics everywhere...
Old 04-16-2019, 06:55 AM

It's to tragic. Beauty may be fleeting, but while Notre Dame has stood for centuries it has had times where its beauty had been diminished and other times when it was restored. The news says that it will be rebuilt and that alone gives me hope.

As part of my studies in art school we studied Gothic architecture and Notre Dame was presented as a masterpiece of both art and engineering, showing the marriage of form and function. It's sobering to think that a wonder that has stood for nearly a millennium could fall ruin in a day. I hope that when they restore it they don't try to "re-imagine" it.

My wife is traveling for business soon and was looking forward to visiting Paris and seeing it for herself. I was hoping that one day she and I would be able to go there once the children are grown. I hope they restore it but am under no illusion that it would happen in my lifetime - but I suppose we'll always have Rome; I visited there 30 years ago but the Sistine Chapel was closed for renovations.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I was hoping that one day she and I would be able to go there once the children are grown. I hope they restore it but am under no illusion that it would happen in my lifetime
Don't give up hope yet. A similar fire occurred in York Minster back in 1984. It took only four years to rebuild the roof on that occasion, so I would expect that a similar timescale might be possible with Notre Dame.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-28112373
Old 04-16-2019, 07:52 AM

It was gut wrenching to watch flames consume the roof and continue to burn for hours.

Notre Dame and other iconic structures are benchmarks of humanity's accomplishments, faith and creativity. It is a cross cultural treasure that everyone can look to, to reassure us of our place in the world. When something so beautiful and complicated can be imagined and built and stand for over 800 years it gives us confidence and hope for the future.

I've studied Notre Dame, drawn it, and explored it, so it has become almost like a living family member. To watch it burn was an emotional experience. It will be rebuilt, but it is original only once.

Francois Henri-Pinault a French billionaire has already pledged 100 million euros for the reconstruction. I think money from all over the world will pour in and it will rise from the ashes.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:05 AM

Haven't been there in a long time, but it was an experience I'll never forget. So sad seeing it burn.
scott
Old 04-16-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
It was gut wrenching to watch flames consume the roof and continue to burn for hours.

Notre Dame and other iconic structures are benchmarks of humanity's accomplishments, faith and creativity. It is a cross cultural treasure that everyone can look to, to reassure us of our place in the world. When something so beautiful and complicated can be imagined and built and stand for over 800 years it gives us confidence and hope for the future.

I've studied Notre Dame, drawn it, and explored it, so it has become almost like a living family member. To watch it burn was an emotional experience. It will be rebuilt, but it is original only once.

Francois Henri-Pinault a French billionaire has already pledged 100 million euros for the reconstruction. I think money from all over the world will pour in and it will rise from the ashes.
IIRC a large part of it wasn't original and it has seen low points in its long history - though not as bad as this. It was in the midst of a restoration so perhaps this isn't entirely a bad thing.

https://www.livescience.com/65240-no...l-history.html

According to this story it suffered from serious neglect and abuse during the French Revolution and that the steeple and stained glass windows weren't original to the structure. It was also interesting to read that the existing cathedral was built on the site of another than had stood for over 400 years before being demolished.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
...I hope that when they restore it they don't try to "re-imagine" it. ..
That's what worries me too. When Coventry Cathedral was destroyed they didn't rebuild it and just built a modern building immediately adjacent. Some waffling Coventry cleric was on the news here earlier trying to make out it was wonderful, and harping on about symbolism, but I have to disagree. Beautiful, iconic pieces of architecture have to be rebuilt as they were, not reimagined. It can be done very well cf the rebuilt Dubrovnik, which was restored very sympathetically and few would see those repairs today. Notre Dame can't ever be the same, but there is something inspiring about such Gothic architecture, while most modern religious buildings lack soul.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-16-2019 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
IIRC a large part of it wasn't original and it has seen low points in its long history - though not as bad as this. It was in the midst of a restoration so perhaps this isn't entirely a bad thing.

https://www.livescience.com/65240-no...l-history.html

According to this story it suffered from serious neglect and abuse during the French Revolution and that the steeple and stained glass windows weren't original to the structure. It was also interesting to read that the existing cathedral was built on the site of another than had stood for over 400 years before being demolished.
Good article.
It has had some renovations, restorations, maintenance and tweeks over the years, (any building that old would), but for the most part the structure is original. The wood for the roof beams and trusses will be difficult to source. They are already concerned where they will find oak trees old enough and large enough to harvest. They are estimating it will take more than 3000 trees.

Another question asked was, are we rebuilding a piece of art or does it make sense to use modern materials for the roof structure, like steel in order to make the building safer and stronger? The attic is not seen, so does it make a difference? After all, it has plumbing and electricity...certainly not original. I personally think it should be rebuilt as originally designed because it is a work of art and should remain true to the historical record. I would recommend a sprinkler system be added to the attic...also not original. I can't believe there wasn't already a sprinkler system in place. If there was one, it may have been shut off during construction, but that is one of the most critical times when a sprinkler system is needed.

It will be interesting to follow the process of rebuilding...it is going to take a while.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic