The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-11-2020, 12:51 PM

Default OM-28 question

So I have been hit hard with gas for an OM-28 and I’ve played quite a few lately. Never played one until about a month ago and feel like a whole new world of guitar has opened up to me. Ive been obsessed!

I have found a mint 2016 model that is basically new. It would be a pretty substantial savings over a new one, even from a forum sponsor.

But My question is what’s the biggest, if any, differences between the 2014+ OM28 and the newer reimagined series. I’ve searched around and all I can find is different tuners, string spacing change and case which I actually prefer the case on the 2016 over the thermo molded case Martin uses now. But I can’t help but feel like there should be something more for it to be “reimagined” that I just can’t seem to find.

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere and I’ve just missed it.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:59 PM

I have a 2017 OM-28 and as best I can tell (both academically and actually playing the newer ones) there is no difference aside from cosmetic between the Reimagined OM-28s and its predecessor. The pickguard was changed to a more vintage-accurate teardrop, the ivoroid binding was swapped out for plain off-white, and the backstrip was changed from zig-zag style. Other than that, it seems to be the same guitar.

From what I understand the OM28 was one of the guitars that was sort of the pilot for the Reimagined series: it absorbed a lot of the vintage-inspired features from the now-discontinued OM28V model and made it more modern player friendly with the MLO neck and reduced string spacing at bridge.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:17 PM

It should be the same. Once they put the time and effort into reimagining the OM’s, they aren’t about to monkey with that for the foreseeable future.

The case is an accessory. That sort of thing can and will change depending on Martin’s business relationship with the vendors who provide cases.

But it’s not as though the structural design of the guitar should have changed in that time.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-11-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
It should be the same. Once they put the time and effort into reimagining the OM’s, they aren’t about to monkey with that for the foreseeable future.

The case is an accessory. That sort of thing can and will change depending on Martin’s business relationship with the vendors who provide cases.

But it’s not as though the structural design of the guitar should have changed in that time.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Thanks! So it seems like the OM28 was kind of pre-re-imagined in 2014 much like Martin did with the D-18 in 2012? That makes sense and also makes it a little easier to consider the 2016, I was afraid missing out on some kind of huge upgrade or significant changes.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:41 PM

Well, a 2018 Martin WILL make you more irresistibly attractive to the opposite gender, but I suspect that your personal charisma doesn’t require much in the way of boosting as it stands!

whm
Old 02-11-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJ89 View Post
Thanks! So it seems like the OM28 was kind of pre-re-imagined in 2014 much like Martin did with the D-18 in 2012? That makes sense and also makes it a little easier to consider the 2016, I was afraid missing out on some kind of huge upgrade or significant changes.
The D-18 saw a huge sea change in construction in 2012 which has been highly successful, while the OM has stayed the course closely aligned to its traditional specs.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
The D-18 saw a huge sea change in construction in 2012 which has been highly successful, while the OM has stayed the course closely aligned to its traditional specs.
I do remember the D-18 changes. I had a 2015 model and that thing was a cannon. Personally after playing one of the updated ones I would have found myself disappointed if I had purchased a pre 2012 model not knowing. Which is what I was trying to avoid should I get an OM28, sounds like I'll be good either way though.

I live in Bluegrass country, NC but I still find myself amazed at how loud an OM-28 can be! Growing up it was pretty much play a Dread or nothing. I'm sure a dread would almost always have more headroom but the OM28's I've played have really surprised me and have hung right in there with my Taylor 717 as far as projection.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:13 PM

Most people who play dreadnoughts can be startled by how loud OM’s and Triple O’s can be when strung with mediums and played with a vigorous right hand attack. Those guitars were originally designed to be rhythm guitars during the Big Band era, and they can and do cut through remarkably well when that’s the intention of the player.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-11-2020, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

I had a VTS Sitka top OM-28 from Jon @ MFG and it was a fine guitar. Being a dread player the majority of the time I never played it much. It was my "wedding & funeral/memorial service" guitar I used to say. I do think the VTS models have a little more overall voice to them. Maybe bit more open. Kind of like pre-washed Levi's verses the non-washed version?
And with a set of 13's (as Wade said) it will handle a pretty vigorous right hand attack. Best of luck!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-11-2020, 07:09 PM

"what’s the biggest differences between the 2014+ OM28 and the newer reimagined series"

2012-16 had binding issues, supposedly fixed after that. My understanding is that it's about a $200 fix, but not sure how much of the binding is repaired for that $200 (all of it?). You can search this or the Martin forum for more info.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:53 PM

I've always wanted an OM28. Got it brand new 3 years ago. sounds great ! I just don't care for the spacing at the nut. The high E string slips off the fretboard when I play barre chords. So my guitar tech removed it [the nut]and slid it up towards the low E a little.Now the low E slips off . Not crazy about the design of this guitar [that I have wanted since I was a kid].Sorry to cause a "Disturbance in the Force" .
Old 02-11-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
I've always wanted an OM28. Got it brand new 3 years ago. sounds great ! I just don't care for the spacing at the nut. The high E string slips off the fretboard when I play barre chords. So my guitar tech removed it [the nut]and slid it up towards the low E a little.Now the low E slips off . Not crazy about the design of this guitar [that I have wanted since I was a kid].Sorry to cause a "Disturbance in the Force" .
That’s very unfortunate - I never had this problem with the OM-21 - I assume the 28 neck binding reduces useable fretboard width.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

The biggest difference between the two, will be the string spacing @ the bridge. Martin keeps shrinking them down. They are down to 2 5/32" now. The newer you get, the narrower.
Steve
Old 02-11-2020, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
That’s very unfortunate - I never had this problem with the OM-21 - I assume the 28 neck binding reduces useable fretboard width.
The 28 has no neck binding either, unless it's a custom order. Neck binding starts at series 35 & up.

Steve
Old 02-12-2020, 07:38 AM

I have both 2014 and 2019 OM-28s. Aside from the differences you note, they are pretty much the same, and both sound wonderful!!!!

Binding issue. I have had my 2014 for over 5 years now, and the binding is perfectly fine. It's not a "for sure" that there will be a problem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion