The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-17-2019, 07:03 AM

Default Emerald X20 - first impressions, first CF

Hello all,
After months of deliberating, hemming and hawing, I purchased my first carbon fiber guitar a few weeks ago - an Emerald X20 ELE. It came yesterday in the mail and I was pleased with its beauty, wonderful tone, playability and certain magical quality. The only thing that was off-putting was the large size and position of the sound hole. I felt like I was spitting into it as I was singing and that the sound was shooting directly into my face. I ended up stuffing the hole with some fabric to protect it and dull it down. I'm just not used to it. Is this something that I'll get used to? It's really my only concern.
Thank you for your thoughts.
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF
2005 Breedlove Revival OM M

https://www.youtube.com/@revelrove

Last edited by highvibrational; 04-17-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:35 AM

I likewise got my first Emerald recently (yesterday). I don't mind how large the sound hole is, or it's location, from an aesthetic or ergonomic perspective. It certainly does project sound up towards my face though!

I think we'll both get used to it. I don't mind it too much. It lets me play at lower volume levels while being able to hear what I'm doing. Not that I perform, but if I ever did, I'd probably mic it up and have ear plugs in, so I don't think it'd be an issue. That's just me though :-/
Old 04-17-2019, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

For me the position and orientation of the soundholes on the newer Emeralds is a feature, not a bug. Playing the X20 I had or the new X7 I have now back to back with a traditional wood guitar or a CF guitar with just a front facing soundhole, the more traditional guitars sound relatively dull and lifeless to me now, or at least very quiet. Having some way to orient the sound up toward me, the player, has become indispensable to me. I know this doesn't really affect the acoustic sound or volume for any audience that may be there - recording my X20 back to back with my old X7 (the one with just a front-facing soundhole) proved to me that they both sound great to someone sitting a few feet in front of me. But to me, having a soundhole oriented both out and up, or having a guitar with an additional sound-port on the shoulder of the upper bout, makes a HUGE positive difference.

I suspect you'll get used to it and maybe even grow to like it. But all of this stuff is personal preference, so what one likes another may not. I pretty much liked it right away, within minutes of getting the X20 last summer and playing it and then playing the Martin 000-15M I had at the time, the Martin, which I LOVED, suddenly sounded so quiet and relatively lifeless in comparison. So, if you dislike it at first, maybe that's the impression that will last. No way to know for sure unless you just put the time in and see how you adapt, or don't...

-Ray
Old 04-17-2019, 08:38 AM

First of all congratulations on the new Emerald. The offset sound hole was probably my biggest concern before purchasing an Emerald guitar without being able to play one. It quickly became one of my favorite features. I find sitting down playing and singing I don't notice too much of a difference vs a traditional center hole. Standing up playing and singing there's a bigger difference in what I hear vs sitting down but I absolutely love it. It's like having a small monitor right there.

Also being able to tinker without having to remove strings is a huge plus for positioning pickups and the like. Hopefully you can get used to it but in my honest opinion I prefer the offset sound hole vs the traditional center hole. When I play my Gibson I really do miss the offset sound hole.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new X20! I am not familiar with that the "ELE" is.

The X20 was my third CF guitar, after a RainSong Shorty and an Emerald X7. When I first got the X20, I was blown away by the volume and rich tone that is directed at the player by that soundhole (the soundhole on the previous generation X7 is different, not turned up, from the X20). In fact, it took me a few days to get comfortable with controlling the volume on the X20. Now, that soundhole is my favorite feature of that guitar!

As far as "spitting into the soundhole," I am a singer, too, and haven't felt that experience. For full disclosure, though, I did find myself singing into the soundhole once while sitting on the couch - interesting "reverb" vocal coming back at me. My wife said, "What are you doing?" Apparently, I looked silly... and for further disclosure: looking silly hasn't stopped me from doing plenty of things... but I digress.

Give that X20 a few more days. You may find, like me, that there is a period of adjustment and then no other guitar without a similar soundhole will do.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:04 PM

"ELE" refers to LR baggs element.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:06 PM

Default Thank you everyone!

I appreciate your comments. I want to like the sound hole and will give it more time. It is somewhat of an adjustment.

I often play outside and wonder if a bird will fly into my guitar and make its home there. A squirrel or a mouse? Will it catch the rain? These are the kinds of thoughts I've been having...
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF
2005 Breedlove Revival OM M

https://www.youtube.com/@revelrove
Old 04-17-2019, 12:15 PM

I have yet to play any CF guitar. I have played a wooden guitar with a sound port, though.

That upwards port in the side of the guitar let me hear a much bigger guitar voice. The builder of the guitar demonstrated it by placing a card on the port while I played. I much preferred the sound I heard when the port was open.

I promise I will try not to play a wooden guitar in the rain. A carbon guitar would not be affected.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-17-2019, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

When I got my X20, the sound shooting at my face was a big shocker at first. But I got used to it pretty fast, like others have said, it is a pretty good tool, I use it to help guide my strumming, how hard, how soft and man the mistakes seem to be more "in your face" LOL. I love it now....it's a great feature. I really think you will get used to it.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:01 PM

The problem I have with the offset sound hole is a different one. I usually rest my pink on the soundboard when I am fingerpicking.
When I do this on a guitar with a center hole it does not make any audible difference. However, when I do the same on my new X7 with its offset sound hole I can hear a drop in volume which also negatively affects the brightness and sustain.

I am not sure how this works exactly but it seems to me that the area near the sound hole does not contribute that much to the overall vibration of the top. And I guess I am resting my finger on a spot where the X7's top needs to move freely.

So now I am trying hard to alter my playing style, but that is not easy after some 30 years of sloppiness.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 04-17-2019, 04:28 PM

Just think of the new and improved offset sound hole as your own personal stage monitor, so you can hear what the audience hears. It might take some adaptation, but it is a net plus, IMO.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
"ELE" refers to LR baggs element.
Oh... OK... I got one of those. See, you can teach an old dog... well, you know.

I haven't run into any woodland creatures flying or crawling into my X20... or any other acoustic guitar I've played outside. Sounds like a scene from a Disney movie.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

I did have a bat take up residence in my X20, kinda made a mess in there but did eventually decide to hang out else where.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber