The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-09-2019, 10:05 AM

Default X-20 Neck

I am considering special ordering an Emerald X-20 with a 29.4" scale. Because this is a special order, I would not be able to return it if I am not satisfied with the profile of the neck. Would any Emerald guitar owners be willing to share what they think of the X-20 neck? I have seen some comments that suggest they find the neck to be thick, or "clubby."

Since I play primarily finger style, wrapping my thumb over the top to hold down the E string on the F and F# notes, a thick neck would not work for me.

I tried a couple of rainsong guitars with the N2 neck and they were too thick for me to play cleanly with the thumb wraparound.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

I've seen those comments about the X20 neck being "thick", honestly it surprised me, I don't consider the X20 neck thick or clubby at all. I'm not a fingerstyle player though, so maybe that's the difference. I'm sure some others will chime in with a better perspective than I am offering.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:36 AM

If we knew your location, perhaps there is a AGF member here that lives near you who has an Emerald X20 they'd let you try.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 04-09-2019, 10:53 AM

Reply to 121:

Good idea, 121. I live near Albany, NY, and would be glad to travel to another AGF member with an emerald guitar.

Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustae View Post
Reply to 121:

Good idea, 121. I live near Albany, NY, and would be glad to travel to another AGF member with an emerald guitar.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I'm about 6 hours away here in Maine.
I imagine there are other X20s much closer to you.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 04-09-2019, 11:36 AM

In my opinion the standard X20 neck is not particularly thick, but is markedly D-shaped. Other folks on here say it feels like a Taylor neck...I'm not sure how they can think that because I own a Taylor and they are very different. The Taylor carves are all variations of a soft V, but the Emerald neck had prominent shoulders and a notable flat center. To me, it felt geared toward a classical position, requiring you to keep your thumb in the middle of the neck.

I didn't like it one bit, honestly. And I have never complained about a neck before, not even the Rainsong.

I (hopefully) solved that problem by ordering a different neck carve. We'll see when it arrives.

If you haven't already asked, you should inquire about the incremental charge for adding a custom carve to your already-custom scale length. It may be the full price, or no increase, or anywhere in between.

Last edited by Melt in the Sun; 04-09-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:13 PM

Default X-20 Neck

I think it’s safe to say that for the majority of us the importance of a neck profile is front and center when it comes to deciding whether a guitar is a keeper.

Kudos to Emerald in that the can custom carve a neck- can’t beat that even with an up charge!
Old 04-09-2019, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Emerald necks are not that thick but they are definitely not thin necks either. I really don't like they stock necks at all. My first custom - an X20 - has a custom neck scale at 24.6" and a custom neck carve that is a soft V based off a Santa Cruz mold I took of a guitar I owned at the time. It's perfect. They likely still have that mold and can apply it to your custom as well.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Pretty sure you meant 24.9" scale rather than 29.4... or else you have some really big hands!

I had a RainSong Shorty with the NS neck (12-fret version of the N2), and it was not comfortable for me. Before the Shorty, I was definitely a Taylor neck fan. I find the X20 neck much closer to the Taylor profile than the RS N2 neck thickness. My X20 has the stock neck profile and scale (25.5")... going back and forth between it and my Taylors, I really don't notice much difference. I sold the Shorty because of the thick neck. I have 3 Emeralds and they are my first choice(s); I still have several Taylors.

The X20 has a 1 3/4" nut width (same as the Taylors above the 200 series). My X10 Emerald has a 1 11/16" nut width, and the feel of that neck is very close (to me) to that of my Taylor T5. Just tossing that out there for some additional perspective.

I hope you get the opportunity to play a stock X20. For a fan of Taylor necks (like me), I think you will find the X20 comparable (not exactly the same, but just as comfortable).

It is a leap of faith. I went with a 24.6" scale on my X10, knowing that it wasn't going to be "returnable." I had some concern that I wouldn't like the stock 1 11/16" nut width, but I feel very little difference between that and the X20 when I go back and forth.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:30 PM
Anticipation Junkie

^^^^^
What Jim said. I own a Taylor 814c and Emerald X20. Not exact for sure, but close enough that I have zero problem going between them.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Have an X20 stock neck profile (1.75 nut) and a 1997 HD28 with a standard neck for the time (1 11/16 nut). I'm a guy with medium sized hands.

Quick comparison of the two neck profiles - the Martin feels considerably flatter/shallower even adjusting mentally for the narrower nut. Only real data I can offer is this -

make a standard D chord and wrap the thumb around as if you were playing a bass note on the 6th string. With X20 my thumb knuckle is about at string height. With the Martin it's a good 1/4 inch above the string.

I am not particularly sensitive to neck profile, but my initial reaction to the Emerald was it's a bit full. I ordered the standard and am quite happy with the neck. If you clearly prefer the shallower profile, I'd order a custom.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:36 PM

My X20 has the thickest feeling neck of all my guitars, but not by much. My 914 is the thinnest, but again, not by much. My two 614's are right in the middle. They're all very comfortable for me to play, and I don't even notice the difference anymore.

I'll see how my new X20 is when I get it in a couple weeks. I imagine it'll be about like my other one.

If you're already getting a custom scale from Emerald, does it cost more to get a custom neck contour? If so, that could get expensive real quick..
Old 04-09-2019, 03:59 PM

I routinely play several Taylor guitars and several Emerald guitars, plus my old Rainsong WS-1000 (original neck, not the N2) and others too like the Blackbird Lucky 13. Scale lengths vary from 24" (X7) to 25.5" (X20) and 24.6" for the custom X20-12. The various necks do feel different, but not radically so, and I have never tried to analyze or measure them. Honestly there is no issue for me swapping between them. YMMV of course.

Captain Jim: congrats on post #5000.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:58 PM
Guest 928

Captain;

5000 posts? Holy Moly! And thank you. You have been a delightful forum companion.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Captain;

5000 posts? Holy Moly! And thank you. You have been a delightful forum companion.
Thanks Earl and Evan - I haven't paid attention to the number of posts, other than finding out that 300 was the limit on any thread.

I could make a joke here about getting a hobby or something, but the truth is: I like this place. This CF sub-forum is friendly and supportive - just a very nice smallish gathering place on the internet.

While Emerald may be my guitar of choice, I get excited about all the carbon fiber offerings out there.

In keeping this on-topic, I looked back and was surprised to see that just over 4700 of those posts were in regards to the X20 neck.

For my buddy Earl: I hope your post surgery progress is moving along nicely. I saw the orthopedic surgeon today: my hip surgery is scheduled for next month. I'm assuming it won't interfere with some guitar playing. It was therapeutic this afternoon to sit down with my X20; love that neck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber