The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-07-2019, 01:43 AM

if possible I'd like to essentially raise the saddle to something like 1/8" instead of 4/64 and have the action somewhere around 5-6/64ths...

not quite sure how that would be possible...?
Old 04-07-2019, 04:31 PM

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
If action is good and it plays fine, then it is irrelevant

Steve
Sounds good? Plays well? Ain't broke, no fix needed.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand78 View Post
if possible I'd like to essentially raise the saddle to something like 1/8" instead of 4/64 and have the action somewhere around 5-6/64ths...

If you want to simultaneously raise the saddle and lower the string height/action, you'd need to change the neck angle.

As long as there is "enough" saddle projecting from the bridge there is no advantage to more. If it doesn't buzz or lose sound at a projection of 1/16", there is no real advantage to having it 1/8", but to allow for further lowering. If you can't lower it further, and want to, without it buzzing, a neck reset is likely required.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
If you want to simultaneously raise the saddle and lower the string height/action, you'd need to change the neck angle.

As long as there is "enough" saddle projecting from the bridge there is no advantage to more. If it doesn't buzz or lose sound at a projection of 1/16", there is no real advantage to having it 1/8", but to allow for further lowering. If you can't lower it further, and want to, without it buzzing, a neck reset is likely required.
I was under the impression that if the saddle were higher that I might get more volume and better break angle and possibly better "tone"...?
Old 04-07-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
if the saddle were higher that I might get more volume and better break angle and possibly better "tone"...?
Maybe yes, maybe no. It all depends on the stiffness of that particular top, and your definition of 'better tone'.
Stiffness of the top dictates how much bridge rotation you get for a given string height above the top (and a given string gauge, or tension). I have seen a quote for the optimal bridge rotation in degrees, but I forget what the number is.
In general, with a higher saddle you get a stronger attack and a bit brighter sound. Sometimes that includes more volume, but not always. The tradeoff is less sustain and what some perceive as a more abrasive tone. Lower saddle = smoother, warmer and more sustain (as well as possibly being quieter).
Old 04-07-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Maybe yes, maybe no. It all depends on the stiffness of that particular top, and your definition of 'better tone'.
Stiffness of the top dictates how much bridge rotation you get for a given string height above the top (and a given string gauge, or tension). I have seen a quote for the optimal bridge rotation in degrees, but I forget what the number is.
In general, with a higher saddle you get a stronger attack and a bit brighter sound. Sometimes that includes more volume, but not always. The tradeoff is less sustain and what some perceive as a more abrasive tone. Lower saddle = smoother, warmer and more sustain (as well as possibly being quieter).
Okay cool - thanks for the info - much appreciated.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
About 2° from Trevor Gore's book.
et al
Old 04-08-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
It's not......unless the neck is reset.
A similar question I get asked occasionally:
"My guitar is buzzing, can I lower the action?"
The answer is maybe, but it definitely involves more than just lowering the saddle.
I have been called a miracle worker, but I cannot violate the laws of physics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair