The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-02-2019, 07:25 AM

Default Emerald X20 - is it beautiful

Hello all,
As I contemplate my first Emerald purchase, I've been getting comments about how ugly they are. I want to get a black one, which has a Darth Vader meets Lord of the Rings look about it. As a gigging musician, I don't want to turn people off by what I'm playing since I already don't fit the mold of a singer-songwriter. Any thoughts?
Thank you.
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF
2005 Breedlove Revival OM M

https://www.youtube.com/@revelrove

Last edited by highvibrational; 04-03-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvibrational View Post
Hello all,
As I contemplate my first Emerald purchase, I've been getting comments about how ugly they are. As a gigging musician, I don't want to turn people off by what I'm playing since I already don't fit the mold of a singer-songwriter. Any thoughts?
Thank you.
What a curious question. Surely the only thing that matters is what *you* think.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-02-2019, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've never heard of a musician who was concerned about the looks of his guitar being offensive to his audience...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-02-2019, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

I have never had a negative comment from anyone about my Emeralds - quite the opposite in fact. I've had other guitar players ask about it, occasionally a question about "What kind of guitar is that?", but most non-players don't really pay much attention to what I'm playing. When someone does say something about the Emeralds, it is generally about how good it sounds or how "unique" it looks.

It took me more than a casual glance to come to appreciate the beauty of the Emeralds. Now, more traditional guitars just look "old fashioned" to me.

But, to the point of your original question: yes, it is beautiful; and something I appreciate more each time I pick it up.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

I'd sell you this one right here, but you don't want to be on stage with such a butt ugly guitar now do ya!

2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 04-02-2019, 08:27 AM

Default You have one to sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
I'd sell you this one right here, but you don't want to be on stage with such a butt ugly guitar now do ya!

Are you serious? If so, I'd like to see it. Thanks.
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF

Old 04-02-2019, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

When I first saw an Emerald, I thought they looked weird. Now I think they look like guitars. Most people who've seen my Emeralds though they looked unusual but cool at first. "Hey, where's the hole?" is often the first question. But I've never had anyone who seemed to DISlike them and most come to really like them. I like the looks with a nice veneer a bit more than plain carbon weave, but not by a lot.

The one thing to be aware of with the looks of an Emerald, is they all look basically black unless they're in really bright light. So maybe if you're performing with stage lights, your audience will be able to see the color or the veneer. And I guess if you get a light enough shade of veneer, they'd likely show up pretty well in reasonable light. But I've had a red X20, an amber X7 (older model) and now a cocobolo veneer X7 with amber sides and back and in typical indoor lighting they've all looked more or less black except for the much lighter arrow shaped stripe down the middle of my cocobolo veneer, which does stand out from the rest of the dark veneer.

They all look brilliant and awesome in the Emerald glamour photos, all taken under very good studio lighting, and in direct sunlight or really bright artificial light, they do look that good. But most of the time, you don't really see them, you just play them... And that's when they're REALLY gorgeous!

-Ray
Old 04-02-2019, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

I think they are a beautiful work of art, and could care less what others think about the looks. As long as it sounds good is my main concern.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvibrational View Post
As a gigging musician, I don't want to turn people off by what I'm playing since I already don't fit the mold of a singer-songwriter. Any thoughts?
The problem with fitting in a mold is no one remembers you. Better to break the mold and then they will talk about you for a longer while. For example, "Did you see that musician with that freaky guitar? That was an amazing (a dismal) performance." Whether you were great or sucked, you are more likely to be more notice the more amazing you are despite how the guitar looks.

Like zits on a teenager's face, no one is really going to notice too much about the guitar you have except you. So do what works best for you.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 04-02-2019, 10:51 AM
Anticipation Junkie

The only thing that initially looks at all odd about the X20 is when the guitar is viewed at an angle where the uniquely designed offset soundhole extends into the upper bout making it appear as though there’s a piece of the upper bout missing compared to conventionally designed acoustics. Of course, this design provides a very functional benefit to provide a balanced projected sound to the listener AND player. It doesn’t take long for the look to appear relatively normal and has been stated, it is also a conversation piece in many respects. The tone, comfort and playability wins-over most folks...players and listeners.

If you really want to make a statement, order one like this. With Emerald, the possibilities are endless...budget notwithstanding.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
The only thing that initially looks at all odd about the X20 is when the guitar is viewed at an angle where the uniquely designed offset soundhole extends into the upper bout making it appear as though there’s a piece of the upper bout missing compared to conventionally designed acoustics. Of course, this design provides a very functional benefit to provide a balanced projected sound to the listener AND player. It doesn’t take long for the look to appear relatively normal and has been stated, it is also a conversation piece in many respects. The tone, comfort and playability wins-over most folks...players and listeners.

If you really want to make a statement, order one like this. With Emerald, the possibilities are endless...budget notwithstanding.

Camericano Acousticado,

That is a definite conversation piece you got there! I see you have Gotoh with MGT. Is MGT worth the dough? Thanks!
Old 04-02-2019, 11:57 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
Camericano Acousticado,

That is a definite conversation piece you got there! I see you have Gotoh with MGT. Is MGT worth the dough? Thanks!
Haha, this one isn’t mine. It was built for a country artist, can’t remember who, but it is pretty easy to find. My X20 is essentially a black Opus model...still a beaut in its own way. Another AGFer, TomB’sox had a Texas flag version made that is posted in a thread somewhere in this CF forum.

Edit: I found a pic of Tom’s Texas X20.....

Last edited by Acousticado; 04-02-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

I am constantly approached at gigs during breaks or afterward by people marveling at the beauty of my X20. Granted, mine is a woody which definitely adds to the look but just the overall differentness of it get people interested. I've never been asked about ANY of my wood guitars and I've had some really nice, really beautiful, really high-end wood guitars.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:47 PM

I find that star-spangled guitar really challenging to look at. Just too much, kind of like the Statue of Liberty and fireworks at Times Square all on a wrinkled pizza. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can't stand bling on a guitar either.
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF

Last edited by highvibrational; 04-02-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:38 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaman View Post
Camericano Acousticado
Sounds like something you might order at Starbucks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber