The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-27-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Project Blue Book. What a shame!

Seen some trailers for this and it started tonight on the Sci-fi channel (which has no subtitles).

Totally unintelligible dialogue.

Unwatchable. Pity, sounded like fun.

How/why do they allow shows like this to have such bad sound tracks?
Old 03-27-2019, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Seen some trailers for this and it started tonight on the Sci-fi channel (which has no subtitles).

Totally unintelligible dialogue.

Unwatchable. Pity, sounded like fun.

How/why do they allow shows like this to have such bad sound tracks?
Since I don't have pay TV, I will likely not be able to watch the series. However, I personally know somebody who worked with Project Blue Book. He told me that the purpose of the project was to debunk UFO sightings, rathe than to find anything real. He said that of all the sightings investigated, less than 1% turned out to be something worth investigating, and those were kicked up to a small group at the Pentagon, so he never got to find out what those sightings really were. In short, there was nothing to Project Blue Book worth interest. That doesn't mean that all sightings were phony, but that Project Blue Book did not have access to anything other than those that didn't pan out. I suspect that the TV series will probably have some cool stories, but they likely won't reflect the real Project Blue Book.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-27-2019, 08:24 PM

I watched it and thought it was fine. It was on History Channel though.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 03-27-2019, 11:32 PM

Starts tonight downunder.

I run my stereo TV audio through my 5.1 amp - set to play through all speakers.
Much, much clearer than the TV inbuilt speakers.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-28-2019, 06:27 AM

I watched it on The History Channel and was hoping for more. It is a drama, so it ties the UFO sightings into the cold war and Russian espionage. I'm sure the actual Project Blue Book was much less dramatic.

As far as unintelligible dialogue, I've come to expect that from TV shows and movies. The music is always blaring and the actors mumble their lines. I guess this is what acting is these days.
I keep my finger on the volume control to constantly modulate the volume so I don't get blasted out of my chair or strain to hear what they are saying. I'm sure my hearing isn't what it used to be, but even my 15 year old daughter sometimes has trouble hearing the dialogue.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
I watched it on The History Channel and was hoping for more. It is a drama, so it ties the UFO sightings into the cold war and Russian espionage. I'm sure the actual Project Blue Book was much less dramatic.

As far as unintelligible dialogue, I've come to expect that from TV shows and movies. The music is always blaring and the actors mumble their lines. I guess this is what acting is these days.
I keep my finger on the volume control to constantly modulate the volume so I don't get blasted out of my chair or strain to hear what they are saying. I'm sure my hearing isn't what it used to be, but even my 15 year old daughter sometimes has trouble hearing the dialogue.
I might try it on the history channel next time, but I think that your second para is really the issue.
I even remember an interview on the radio some time ago with a director responsible for a British made series that had particularly bad sound.
He ACTUALLY said , well the dialogue isn't that important, people just want to see the action".
I wonder if he's still working?

I simply donlt get why TV series/movies have to have such poor sound quality when the technology is already there in their hands. I find it insulting.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:58 AM

Thumbs up Blue book

The series starts out a bit tenuous. As the season progresses the writers find their stride and get very good. By the last three episodes I was hooked. About the "authenticity"...the actual cases that are used are turned into a "drama' that has many liberties taken.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Since I don't have pay TV, I will likely not be able to watch the series. However, I personally know somebody who worked with Project Blue Book. He told me that the purpose of the project was to debunk UFO sightings, rathe than to find anything real. He said that of all the sightings investigated, less than 1% turned out to be something worth investigating, and those were kicked up to a small group at the Pentagon, so he never got to find out what those sightings really were. In short, there was nothing to Project Blue Book worth interest. That doesn't mean that all sightings were phony, but that Project Blue Book did not have access to anything other than those that didn't pan out. I suspect that the TV series will probably have some cool stories, but they likely won't reflect the real Project Blue Book.

Tony
Hi Tony, as far as I could tell from the whispering and mumbled dialogue the point of the story seems to be that "Blue Book" WAS indeed about covering up and debunking whatever incidents were reported, and not about investigating, much to the dismay of a new investigative officer played by Irish actor Aiden Gillen who was perfectly understandable when he was Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish in G.O.T.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:42 PM

I gave this show a try, but after a couple episodes, it just didn't hold my interest...

And although I think it's unlikely that we're the only intelligent life anywhere, I think it highly improbable that the appearances of such a species could be kept hush hush from the general populations all over the world...or that such species would have motive to stay in hiding...makes for good science fiction, tho…

I do agree with Stephen Hawking when he said that if an alien species actually came here, it would likely end badly for us, along the lines of what Native Americans experienced when Europeans "discovered" this continent...
Old 03-28-2019, 08:52 PM

“The truth is out there”
Old 03-29-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:

I simply donlt get why TV series/movies have to have such poor sound quality when the technology is already there in their hands. I find it insulting.
Silly....I did not have any sound issues with this series. Seems rather odd that a few of you experienced bad clarity of audio. Is this the only channel that mumbles thru for you?
Old 04-17-2019, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Silly....I did not have any sound issues with this series. Seems rather odd that a few of you experienced bad clarity of audio. Is this the only channel that mumbles thru for you?
My wife and I are old folks now, and so don't have issues with well produced programmes. My TV sound (via Sky) goes from our "smart" Samsung Tv goes to a high quality amp into two excellent floor standing speakers.

We watched episode 4 of the programme tonight and even tried listeing with my hearing aids.

Totally unintelligible, and if the volume was increased was painful. In the end we simply muted the soundtrack completely.

We are watching on the Scify (sic) channel which has no subtitles.

The series seems to be getting into an interesting stage now with Werner Von Braun featuring, but with such an appallingly amateurish soundtrack, it doesn't really deserve watching.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:46 PM

I just finished season 1 of 'Tin Star' and probably understood about 40% of whatever Tim Roth was saying but the all time worst for me was Ray Winstone in the 'Sweeney' movie.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-17-2019, 04:20 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
My wife and I are old folks now, and so don't have issues with well produced programmes. My TV sound (via Sky) goes from our "smart" Samsung Tv goes to a high quality amp into two excellent floor standing speakers.

We watched episode 4 of the programme tonight and even tried listeing with my hearing aids.

Totally unintelligible, and if the volume was increased was painful. In the end we simply muted the soundtrack completely.

We are watching on the Scify (sic) channel which has no subtitles.

The series seems to be getting into an interesting stage now with Werner Von Braun featuring, but with such an appallingly amateurish soundtrack, it doesn't really deserve watching.
All we buy are Samsung's. Makes it easy when you can't find the remote, you just grab another from the other room

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-17-2019, 06:12 PM

Exclamation

What in the world is going on with the audio for you people? i'm using Xfinity....no problems. Can't get over how many audio complaints there are with these series(and I'm an old timer, too)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic