The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-26-2019, 09:21 PM

Smile NGD Emerald X20 (Spalted Beech)

Hey all,

Picked up my X20 from the post office today after work and got to spend a few hours with it so far. I was going to wait a few days before posting but I don't think I have to anymore. The X20 is an amazing guitar. I'm happy to report that I have no issues. I inspected the guitar up/down/inside/out you name it. I also played all over the fretboard with and without a capo, every note rings true. My X30 is going to be real jealous during the next few weeks as it will most likely be resting. Very impressed with the tone and playability of the X20 as it arrived stock. I will be of course making some changes to it but not yet I want my ears to memorize its tone before I make any mods. I got this one with no pickup as I'll be installing my own Schatten HFN SBT transducer later on. I opted to get the Emerald soundboard prep work as well. The only thing I will note is that the soundboard prep looks a little different than others who posted pics. I'll attach a pic of that as well. It's perfectly fine and flat just looks different than others. I'll probably post my thoughts/opinion on the X20 vs X30 in a few weeks or so. Right now I'm gonna go see if I can get another hour playing before I goto bed!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by GuitarLuva; 03-26-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Wow...striking, I really like it, but not sure they do any I really don't like. Congrats on the X20 !
Old 03-26-2019, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

It is beautiful, congratulations.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 03-26-2019, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful! Yeah, the X20 hits a sweet spot! Congrats!
Old 03-26-2019, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Yet another Emerald beauty!! Congrats mate!!

Todd in Chicago

P.S. sorry, I am unable to comment on rework piece you spoke of.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:57 PM

Most beautacious indeed.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-27-2019, 03:14 AM
Charter Member

ABEV - Another Beautiful Emerald Veneer!

Plays great, sounds great, looks great - what else is there?

Congratulations!

-Ray
Old 03-27-2019, 03:17 AM
Charter Member

Spalted beech... wow! Absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations... looks like a keeper to me.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:50 AM

Looks great up beside the bigger sibling...nice choice!

Let's see, how many hours to drive there to see these in person
Old 03-27-2019, 06:49 AM

Thank you all for your comments. One thing I forgot to mention (non guitar related) in my original post is that for some reason I never got raped by customs this time. No charges at all. When I got my X30 the customs fees ruined part of my excitement that day. Maybe they remembered my name and took pity on me this time, who knows.

When I was playing last night I couldn't help but notice the volume and projection from this guitar. I do have pretty good ears for music and to me it sounded louder than the X30. I remember other threads mentioning these kind of things. I couldn't resist taking out the DB meter and sure enough the X20 is a few DP louder than the X30. This doesn't bother me at all but I was a little surprised. The X30 body is much deeper so I would expect it to be louder. I'm wondering if the heavier gauge strings on my X30 are choking it a bit (more to come on this later). Anyways the X20 is a little canon I absolutely love it. My days off from work can't come soon enough!
Old 03-27-2019, 06:54 AM

Congrats! Now keep working down the Emerald diminished scale; X10...X7....
Old 03-27-2019, 08:37 AM

I would love to hear a deeper comparison between the two for I am debating which one I should get. Sound samples would be so awesome as well through the same mic.
I know this dreamer would love that!

Kronbauer DRN Adi/HOG
Kronbauer DRN Adi/RW
Taylor 510 Limited 2003
Taylor 320e Limited Baritone 2014
RainSong Shorty SS 12fret
RainSong CO-DR1000NT
Mainland Ceder/RW tenor Uke.
Outdoor tenor Uke
Heywire Custom Swamp ash Strat
Old 03-27-2019, 08:38 AM

Cool guitar! It goes well with the royal ebony. I considered almost that exact veneer for my build...did you expect it to turn out so amber? Given the dry photos I expected a really light guitar, but they had a beech X30 show up in-stock and it looked about like yours.

I gotta say, that soundboard prep looks a bit sloppy...something slapped on with a putty knife and then crudely smoothed. Does it even cover the area you need for your HFN?

This veneer turned out to be cracked.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt in the Sun View Post

I gotta say, that soundboard prep looks a bit sloppy...something slapped on with a putty knife and then crudely smoothed. Does it even cover the area you need for your HFN?
Yep, it does. On the low E side especially. You wonder if the top leg of the HFN will can even make contact?

I'm not a fan of the standard Baggs VTC offered from Emerald so ordering an acoustic version of anything from them is now a concern (for me)
Old 03-27-2019, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Thank you all for your comments. One thing I forgot to mention (non guitar related) in my original post is that for some reason I never got raped by customs this time. No charges at all. When I got my X30 the customs fees ruined part of my excitement that day. Maybe they remembered my name and took pity on me this time, who knows.

When I was playing last night I couldn't help but notice the volume and projection from this guitar. I do have pretty good ears for music and to me it sounded louder than the X30. I remember other threads mentioning these kind of things. I couldn't resist taking out the DB meter and sure enough the X20 is a few DP louder than the X30. This doesn't bother me at all but I was a little surprised. The X30 body is much deeper so I would expect it to be louder. I'm wondering if the heavier gauge strings on my X30 are choking it a bit (more to come on this later). Anyways the X20 is a little canon I absolutely love it. My days off from work can't come soon enough!
That would seem to be odd....yes? That the x20 would be louder than the x30? Can anyone else with a 20 and 30 confirm?

Todd in Chicago

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber