The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-28-2019, 12:13 PM

Default EB Music Man Guitars?

Do we have some Music Man players here? I've always been interested in the Steve Morse model (older style) but have never played one. For those that have or do, is the quality control just as high as PRS or the Fender and Gibson Customs?

Where does MM fall in the list of quality off the rack electrics? You just don't hear too much about them.

What sets them apart from PRS, Fender and Gibson?

If you've played the older style Steve Morse MM, how would you compare or describe that guitar in relation to Strats, PRS etc..?
Thanks!
Old 01-28-2019, 07:07 PM

albert lee has his own music man guitar. i've heard it live and it sounds great. probably miles from the morse model tho.

check the tdpri, gearslutz or gearpage.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-28-2019, 07:18 PM

I had a first generation Steve Morse model. Great quality, but mine didn't sustain well and I traded it off.
I think MM's quality is as good as any other top manufacturer, and I especially like their Silhouette models. Had one of those as well...
Old 01-28-2019, 07:22 PM

I see Johnny Hiland plays them quite a bit. Good enough for him good enough for anybody.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:28 PM

love EBMM guitars...here are my 3...all regularly gigged...excellent guitars...

1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!

Last edited by fenderball; 01-28-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

I’d say that their endorser list speaks for itself...

Steve Morse
Steve Lukather
Albert Lee
John Petrucci

And there are a ton more than just that list of luminaries.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-28-2019, 07:51 PM

They are plenty nice guitars.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:48 PM

Default JP Majesty Monarchy

I have the purple JP Majesty Monarchy. I wanted the piezo / magnetic pickups it has. The build quality is solid, but compared to my former PRS I had, I'd say PRS has a better finish quality. But you really have to nit-pick to compare. It has a gloss top but a satin-like finish on the backside of the neck and body.

The ergonomic design of the neck and body of the MM make it the most playable electric I've ever tried. I run a Y-cable out of it to separate the piezo from the magnetic pickups. I also dig the stainless steel frets. Really awesome fretwork done here, I doubt I'll have any wear issues for a lifetime. I find I do not need amp footswtiches, the controls for the piezo/magnetic allow me to get acoustic-like clean tones, and I can mix or go full magnetic strictly by the guitar's controls. There's even a boost knob on it.

The equivalent PRS guitar was over $2K more. This is the first time I've ever bought a signature guitar, which I was a bit apprehensive about, but for a stock guitar it definitely gives more expensive boutique or custom guitars a run for their money. Good thing I actually like Dream Theater and John Petrucci
If I'm not mistaken, MM just released a plain version of this guitar, but I prefer the color choices of the signature line.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:15 AM

I don't think I've ever had on in my hands, but judging by what people are willingly paying for second hand MM guitars and basses, the company must be doing something right.

On the PRS comparison, my feeling is that esthetics must be high on the PRS list of priorities. No wonder that some others are a little behind when it comes to the quality of finishing.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 01-29-2019, 01:59 AM

Top tier guitars.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:44 AM

If you've seen Steve Lukather, chances are he's playing a Music Man.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:18 AM

I almost bought the James Valentine model but watch out for the nut width, it's super cramped. I ultimately couldn't bond with it. Great feeling necks but far too narrow for me.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderball View Post

love EBMM guitars...here are my 3...all regularly gigged...excellent guitars...
Beautiful! I'm glad you posted that pic because you can probably answer some other questions I've had. Besides the pickups/controls and body shape are the Axis and S Morse pretty much the same, mainly meaning the neck, weight, feel? Does MM use a standard neck profile for their guitars or all they all different, especially the signature models? If different, how would you describe the difference between your Axis and the Morse?

What I've always wanted was an Axis body shape with the Steve Morse pickup configuration and hard stop tail. No Floyd Rose. (When I refer to Steve Morse I'm only talking about the style you have not the Y2D)

I don't think that is or will ever be available so next I'd want a Steve Morse in a sunburst finish. I've seen a couple but they are hard to find. Do you know if the ones I've seen are special order or did MM make a bunch of sunburst Steve More Models at some point? Do they do special orders through dealers?
Thanks!!!
Old 01-29-2019, 03:54 PM

are the Axis and S Morse pretty much the same, mainly meaning the neck, weight, feel?

well, i do not think of them as them as similar...but for the record, my Axis Sport is a 2001 (they call them super sport now)...the Morse an '06...

neck's are slightly different...i definitely think the Morse is a bit wider, but not wide....and the Morse has a 12" neck radius and the Axis Sport a 10"....Morse is about 7 and a half pounds, but very comfy...i gig it regularly and never think of the weight...it is so well balanced that i never notice any weight issue...the Axis Sport is lighter...i'd say right around 7 lbs, maybe lighter...mine is a one piece ash body

they're different guitars...obviously, the Morse has so many P'UP options...my Axis Sport has great sounding MM 90's (Music Man's P 90's)...ballsy...Morse gives you more tonal options...necks are different, sounds are different...both excellent guitars and very comfy...

as for your question regarding custom orders, i really dont know...i have seen black one's, and i'm pretty sure i have seen sunburst one's...best to go on the ernie ball forum...i havent been there in some time, but lots of stuff there.......

hey, i like these guitars....hence my screen name fenderball and yes, the Morse is way different than a strat...
also, i do not think they still offer the Axis style guitars with the MM90's (P90's) anymore, which is a shame, because they're great sounding P'UPs...maybe they do, but i dont think so...hope this helps...
1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!
Old 01-29-2019, 05:50 PM

My bandmate from about 7 years ago played a John Petrucci model with the piezo system. He loved that guitar and played it exceptionally well.

I've heard nothing but great things about EB Music Man guitars. I agree, we hear very little about them on Forums.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars