The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-16-2019, 11:25 PM

Default NGD - Custom Emerald X20 Nylon

It finally came! Photos will have to wait until the weekend, and recordings probably a while longer, as non-music life is rather demanding at the moment, but I'll share my first impressions from my first 3 hours on it.

First, it's an X20 Nylon with specs that match as closely to a classical guitar that I could think to ask for:
  • 12 frets to body
  • Flat fretboard
  • 52mm nut
  • 59mm E-to-E spacing at saddle

As all tend to say, it's super comfortable. The arm bevel is a game changer. Usually 2 hours in I can start to feel some discomfort. But not today!

I am rather blown away at how the neck feels EXACTLY as I expected it to. Alistair and his team did EXACTLY what I asked them to do. I had thought there'd be some sort of adjustment from changing over from my Cordoba C9 to the X20, but not really. Once I got into my usual stool, had my usual foot stool, had my stand and music in it's usual place, everything just came together.

The sound is clearly different. My wife said it sounds "fuller." I believe that's her way of saying, "It's got a flat frequency response!" I don't think it's louder than my C9, but I believe the perceived sound is louder, because I think the sustain carries higher frequencies longer. Err...to be clear, if I aim the sound hole away from me, attacks don't sound louder, but the sustain "feels" louder. If I don't aim the sound hole away from me, it definitely seems louder to me, especially the bass.

I don't see why this can't be a valid option for a classical guitar...and I am going to promote this as a valid option. Nylon on wood sounds great, I'm not saying it doesn't, but so does nylon on CF...and as of yet I see no loss in the soul or feel of a piece of music.

I plan on waiting for 6 months before I do anything crazy, but if I feel the same way in 6 months, I'm going to shrink my humble collection down to just two, this X20 Nylon and my Rainsong CH-WS1000NS. While I love my C9, I'm just a two-guitar kind of guy (one nylon and one steel string).
Old 04-17-2019, 01:38 AM
Charter Member

That's great news... congratulations! What do you mean pictures have to wait???
Old 04-17-2019, 09:39 AM
Guest 928

Bt:

Does your guitar have a cut-a-way? If so, do you hear a diminishment of projection? That has been the only negative I've noted after owning 8 CF nylon strung instruments. Of the 8, the Blackbird Rider came the closest to the projection of a good classical wooden guitar.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:02 PM

@EvanB:

I've got the standard cut away, which I'm thankful for. I unfortunately have no way to compare an X20 with a cut away vs one without (I'm not sure if an X20 without a cut away exists in the wild).

In comparison with my mahogany body and ceder top C9, which does not have a cut away, my wife couldn't detect a meaningful difference in volume from about 15' away, but that's hardly scientific, it's just the best I can give.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:43 AM

Congratulations and enjoy!
Old 04-23-2019, 08:00 AM

INITIAL REVIEW

Disclaimer: All opinions on ergonomics are based on the body of a 6'-1", pleasantly plump man, and all opinions on sound are based on nothing but my ears as the player, and/or my wife's ears as a listener from 5-15ft away.

Body size is comparable to a traditional classical guitar. While it appears that the X7 Nylon is quite popular, if one is seeking a "classical" guitar, I can confirm the X20 provides a comparable size.

The arm bevel for the right arm allows for extended playing without discomfort on the inner forearm. This is true even for someone playing in the classical position. I still find a sleeve to be useful though, as it still does produce less friction when arm movement is required (e.g. strumming).

The cut away allows easier access to fret 13 for the 4 finger, and frets 13 and 14 when using fingers 3 and 4 respectively, as the cut away allows me to easily stretch those fingers over. The cut away does not give much more access pass fret 14 though, as it's simply not large enough to accommodate a hand + wrist + forearm (I play in a classical position, neck 45-60 degrees upwards), and I doubt there'd be much guitar left if it was large enough to do so. To reach frets 15 and up, I still have to reach around the body of the guitar.

The neck profile feels very much like a Cordoba neck profile. I consider this a plus. It "feels" substantially less thick than the N2 neck of a Rainsong. I've no problem with the N2 neck of a Rainsong, but it certainly doesn't just "feel right" like the Cordoba necks do. This is my subjective opinion of course.

From the player's perspective, the out-of-the box sound is bass heavy and loud due to the sound port location. If I awkwardly point the sound port away from me, it becomes less loud and the bass normalizes. In either case, mids and trebles are level. I believe I've read a post from Barb saying a bone saddle made the trebles sing more on her Emerald X7 Nylon, so that should be a consideration for the future should I be seeking brighter trebles.

The over all volume was not notably different by my ears when compared to my Cordoba C9 (when the X20 sound port is awkwardly pointed away from me). It was also not notably different by my wife's ears.

Tonally, it sounds different from the C9, which has a mahogany body and a cedar top, and Savarez 500CJ strings on it. The X20 has the stock Optima no. 6 Gold strings on it. The best description I can give is that the frequency response seems flat on the X20, seeming to allow trebles to be sustained longer. I think the sustained trebles can be perceived by many as a louder sustain, but I suspect a sound level meter wouldn't agree with this perception.

Intonation is superb. The saddle is angled and compensated out of the box, which I haven't seen a classical guitar come that way (the X20 Nylon is of course not a "classical guitar"). I thought it might need to have some work done on it due to it having a non-standard string spacing (spacing that deviates from Emerald's standard), but that isn't the case. It seems they went out of the way to make it right. While no guitar can be perfectly intonated across all frets, it comes a lot closer than any of the few classical guitars I've had in my hands (perhaps the saddle's angle contributes to this?, seems many classical guitars don't have an angled saddle). It's not as close to perfect as my Rainsong steel string (which also has an angled and compensated saddle), but the action is practically double of the Rainsong, so it's not a fair comparison.

As far as aesthetics go, there are at least two small imperfections I noted (small pinhole sized nick or finishing issue where the head stock joins the neck, and a scratch/nick on the bottom of the bridge). It's nothing I care about, in fact, I like guitars with some character to them, but based on my experience, if you're hoping for a flawlessly finished instrument, that wasn't my case. Darn close to flawless, but not quite.

And lastly, this has nothing to do with functionality, but I don't think tying nylon strings are their forte. The bridge knots were ok, but the at the tuners...it looks liked they were tied by a first timer without much instruction. *Shrug* what are you going to do? I know steel strings are Emerald's bread and butter.

I'll share photos soon, and I'll try to get a couple simple comparison recordings this weekend. I'll try to compare my Rainsong, Cordoba, and this one.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:29 AM
Guest 928

Bt;

Nice review and I look forward to pictures and sound.

I am surprised that you equate the projection of the 20 with that of the Cordoba. I've felt that CF nylons are more subdued than classical wooden guitars.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the review. I'm hoping to lose my nylon itch but it hasn't went away yet. I don't want to spend all that money on a CF nylon when it's just an itch.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Thanks for the review. I'm hoping to lose my nylon itch but it hasn't went away yet. I don't want to spend all that money on a CF nylon when it's just an itch.
I get that. The Yamaha Silent Guitar has scratched that itch for me; well, enough to know that steel strings are my preference. i don't see any nylon guitar making its way into my meager stable long-term.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I get that. The Yamaha Silent Guitar has scratched that itch for me; well, enough to know that steel strings are my preference. i don't see any nylon guitar making its way into my meager stable long-term.
My YSG had the opposite effect in that it confirmed the addition of a long-term nylon to the stable. The question now is, do I go with another full Emerald custom? There are so many variables and I don't want to 'guess'. So I'm going to play a few as I find them and then decide.

Worst case scenario I'll pick up one of those little Taylor Academy A12E-N's which for the money are quite a great little nylon. Sure, it's wood, but not solid back and sides and it's built like a tank and for the price point it would make a great open mic guitar or just give me something to scratch that nylon itch.

The Yammy was fun but I flipped it pretty quick because it was too noisy to use live.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to yous guys I picked up a Godin Multiac Nylon, it sounds great thru the Loudbox, and with the slightly thinner nut, it is a joy to play, thinking I'd rather have one that doesn't have to be plugged in though, probably return it and start saving for a beautiful Emerald like btblitout has just acquired. Back on topic now. Congrats on a special Emerald ! Hope it works out for you.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Thanks to yous guys I picked up a Godin Multiac Nylon.
I was also intrigued by that particular guitar. I didn't want to spend that much either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
The silent guitar also intrigued me. That combined with the Yamaha I bought my boy for Christmas led me to one I just might pull the trigger on - Yamaha CG-TA. The transacoustic technology seems pretty crazy!
Old 04-24-2019, 09:40 AM
Guest 928

Jd;

I bought a Multiac from a professional musician. It was sweet as an electric instrument, but I found it to be heavy and that I want some acoustic sound.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Volume

Interesting comment on the volume of the guitar in comparison to your c9. I had friends over at my place on the weekend. One had a pono 00 size that played noticeably way loud (as well as being a nice guitar) I had my X7 nylon and my Breedlove concert another friend brought his new to him Cordoba GK pro negra.
When playing my X7 nylon I had to plug in to get to a reasonable volume to jam with the other guitars although I did notice that the strings I was using (Aquila granata) seemed pretty quiet.

I am trying Martin magnificos right now and will be playing with the saddle and pickup removal to measure the volume and see if it was a setup thing. (Current saddle action is probably a bit low)

Anyone else with Emerald nylons have volume comparisons vs other steel string emeralds and other guitars? My impression is mine is currently quieter than the X7 steel I had.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:25 PM
Guest 928

My introduction to nylon string guitars came in a performance by Montoya. It was ravishing.

I do not play to Montoya's level, but he set a standard for tone and projection.
I've been through about 45 nylon strung wooden instruments, and just about every CF nylon string guitar. I have yet to hear a CF that competes in projection with a good classical instrument. Nor is likely that a nylon strung instrument will project to the level of a steel string guitar--not without some electric push.

With my X10N I can play acoustic accompanied by a banjo, mandolin, and two guitars. But it's work. I have to play hard

That's why I now play out with the X7, thin bodied electric and a small Roland amp. I keep up, don't have to work so hard, and can do more lead. Fortunately, the 7 has enough acoustic for songwriting and practice. Actually, it keeps up with an acoustic guitar if the player is half-way sensitive.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber