The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-16-2019, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

I was able to visit once, nearly 20 years ago. Our children were young "tweens" at the time, and not much interested in the museums, but the Notre Dame captivated them. We stayed for hours.

My 16 year old nephew is currently in Europe with his French class, and was supposed to visit this week.....
Old 04-16-2019, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Macron said today they're going to rebuild it in 5 years. I wish them all the best.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
Good article.
It has had some renovations, restorations, maintenance and tweeks over the years, (any building that old would), but for the most part the structure is original. The wood for the roof beams and trusses will be difficult to source. They are already concerned where they will find oak trees old enough and large enough to harvest. They are estimating it will take more than 3000 trees.

Another question asked was, are we rebuilding a piece of art or does it make sense to use modern materials for the roof structure, like steel in order to make the building safer and stronger? The attic is not seen, so does it make a difference? After all, it has plumbing and electricity...certainly not original. I personally think it should be rebuilt as originally designed because it is a work of art and should remain true to the historical record. I would recommend a sprinkler system be added to the attic...also not original. I can't believe there wasn't already a sprinkler system in place. If there was one, it may have been shut off during construction, but that is one of the most critical times when a sprinkler system is needed.

It will be interesting to follow the process of rebuilding...it is going to take a while.
Weight would certainly be a factor. The roof was wood because it had to be lighter than stone, hence the buttresses. I would love to see what they would consider - but I draw the line at carbon fiber.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I tend to fall on humor to lighten the mood. My apologies.

2013 OLF MJ (DIY build, western red cedar, Honduran mahogany)
2012 McKnight McUkulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivee OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (Natural ash)
Old 04-16-2019, 03:55 PM

Seems like it's much less bad than it could have been.

Modern materials for the unseen parts seems sensible. I think the USS Constitution has had quite a bit of mostly unseen modernization to bring it into line with modern safety requirements.
Buckeye Mandolin
Kamaka HF-1D
Tom Yocky dulcimer
Old 04-16-2019, 04:34 PM

Over many visits to France I've found that the French have a reverence for their traditional buildings, and I'm entirely confident that Notre Dame's restoration will be faithful to the original in all the ways that matter. Undoubtedly it will incorporate modern methods and materials where appropriate, including fire suppression systems.

I can't help thinking, though, that the cash already pledged to the reconstruction could probably build a new Notre Dame three times over...
Old 04-16-2019, 05:35 PM

A great many revered shrines, temples, etc. in Japan have been rebuilt, and rebuilt, and replaced, and.... going back as far as to the Jomon Period. Lots of what tourists see when they visit Japan are recreations, or just new interpretations of what had existed back as far as 2000-3000BC.

Doesn't seem to be a problem, there.

Last edited by Jeff Scott; 04-16-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Weight would certainly be a factor. The roof was wood because it had to be lighter than stone, hence the buttresses. I would love to see what they would consider - but I draw the line at carbon fiber.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I tend to fall on humor to lighten the mood. My apologies.
Actually steel trusses would probably be lighter than oak trusses. Consider the cross sectional area required of a wood beam compared to a steel beam carrying the same weight. Steel is much stronger per pound than wood. Oak is strong, but it is also a very heavy wood

The buttresses are resisting outward thrust from the stone vaulting on the inside rather than the weight of the roof. A truss inherently has no outward thrust if designed properly so it's weight is a vertical load rather than a lateral load..

It was the interior stone vaulted ceiling that saved most of the church. It failed only where the spire fell, but it acted as a fire barrier when the burning wood trusses collapsed on it. That was the intent of the original design to have a stone vaulted ceiling since wood roofs tended to get struck by lightening, burn and fall all the way to the church floor doing much more damage.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic