The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2019, 04:24 AM

Tom, if you want a DSS-17-12fret, you can order it from the custom shop through one of the forum sponsors and the price will be very reasonable.

I'm ordering mine as a Jumbo, j-17 through Maury's. I ordered it with genuine mahogany, a back binding, and a hard shell case. If I take out the case, it's just slightly more expensive than the GC price.

Maury caught two things in the original spec sheet, so I have to sign the new one today and mail it back. Then the six-month clock will start again.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
How do you mean, exactly? Could you elaborate? Thank you!

I don’t think Martin intended the 17 Series to compete with iconic guitars like the D-18 and J-45. It’s more an answer to Collings’ Waterloo line up. So the DSS-17 is a fantastic, mid-level guitar that punches way above its weight...but I don’t expect it to prompt many folks to dump their D-18s/J-45s.

Some Country Blues strumming on the D-41:
Old 04-16-2019, 04:41 AM

Interested to see how the DS-17 stacks up with your D-1, preferably the 93 D-1. I recently picked up a 93 D-1 and was astounded by the fullness of the sound-very balanced and clear. It's getting a fret job and having a loose brace reglued so haven't had a chance to really give it a workout. I played the DS-17 at the local GS. Being a brand new guitar the sound was a bit tight but Martin's famously respond well to being played-in over time. My D-1 was rode hard and put up wet so that full nuanced sound was there the first time I played it. Congrats on the new Martin for your stable.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Just to add another note regarding the 17 series guitars. They do sound a bit tight when brand new, but it doesn't take much playing at all to get them loosened up and sounding much more mature than most guitars less than a year old. Now mine has been my main stage guitar since December so it's got 25-30 three to four hour shows in it now and I swear it gets better every time I play it. It's like these love being played and being played hard. They honestly don't keep the tight feel and sound very long. I'm playing mine again tonight on the Pickin' Porch stage of the Mountain Music Museum.
'15 Martin 000X1AE
'16 Ibanez AVC6DTS
'12 Partscaster Blueburst
More to come later...

Mick Kyte - Head Pick Flunky
http://www.goatwhiskeypicks.com

Old 04-16-2019, 10:53 AM

Well, that must be the story on the DSS-17 that I've been playing at Music Zoo. There is nothing tight about it. That sucker is wide open.

In my humble, inexperienced, opinion, this thing is aching to play some ZZ Top, George Thorogood, or Commander Cody's boogy-woogy stuff!

When's the last time you saw a NGD post go for three pages?
Old 04-16-2019, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Well, that must be the story on the DSS-17 that I've been playing at Music Zoo. There is nothing tight about it. That sucker is wide open.

In my humble, inexperienced, opinion, this thing is aching to play some ZZ Top, George Thorogood, or Commander Cody's boogy-woogy stuff!

When's the last time you saw a NGD post go for three pages?
I suspect Mick was talking about the smaller bodied 17s. Sure wasn’t anything tight about my DSS-17. Fun to play and monster loud from the first strum.

FYI: My NGD thread on the arrival of my “reimagined” Martin D-28 went on for 5 pages. But that was in 2017 right after they came out and thanks to Maury snagging mine at the factory I was pretty much the first AGFer to finally get that new model in my hands.

Some Country Blues strumming on the D-41:

Last edited by Rev Roy; 04-16-2019 at 11:19 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion