The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-17-2019, 02:08 AM

Default NGD (sort of): RainSong CH-PA

I've actually had it since Tuesday, but didn't get much time with it then....

You may recall that I asked recently about build differences in differently-designated RS Parlors. In addition to the fine responses to the thread, I received two offers from forum members to sell me theirs. For a variety of reasons, I chose the one I did.

You've even heard this very guitar--it's the CH-PA featured in the "X7 vs RainSong Parlor comparison" topic. I won't be posting any new samples--trust me, you don't want to hear my playing (at this point--it WILL improve).

I'm returning to the guitar after (mumble) years away from it, and I never was all that good--I have a tendency to dabble for a while & then take up something else (my partner does sort-of the same thing, with handcrafts, and calls it her "rotating obsessions". The difference is that she does get good...). Anyway, my head knows several chord shapes, and scales, and theory about how those are constructed--but my fingers are freakin' clueless.

So I got out my Alvarez 5062 (don't bother trying to look up specs--they've used the same number for a few different guitars, at different times...). It's an OM-ish shape, solid spruce top, back & sides are mahogany that I think is solid. It's a nice guitar, and it inspired me for a while when I first got it, but I found that it just wasn't comfortable to hold anymore (I'm somewhat rounder). I also noticed some fairly serious fret wear, though--at this point--I can't tell if it's actually causing playability problems, or if it's just my fumble-fingers. So I figured that a new guitar was within my means, and justified if it solved at least some of those problems. I'd been lurking here for a while, so determined that a small CF guitar was in my future.

I watched a LOT of review videos. I almost bought a CA Cargo on Reverb, but it disappeared. I almost bought an Emerald X7 on Reverb, but it disappeared even more quickly (and I think it's the one in the comparison post I've referenced already...). I'd been watching a RainSong PA12, at not quite such a bargain, for a while--it, too, disappeared right before I pulled the trigger. I strongly considered a Journey RT660 (not, for me, the OF660). That's when I asked about construction, and now you're up to date.

Anyway, about the new guitar--I love it. It fits me SO much better than the OM. The neck feels like almost the same shape--but I'm not sure I'm really able to discriminate that, either, yet. It sounds... better than I'd expect a guitar played by me to sound (again, NOW). I've played it for about an hour, total, so far (my calluses aren't up to more than 10-20 minutes at a time, yet). I KNOW I'll be playing it a LOT more. Part of my decision process is that I'm pretty sure I can get back most, if not all, of my money by selling it on if it doesn't work out--but that won't be an issue. This one's a keeper.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:14 AM

You done good with a great guitar... what I am trying to say is ...nice.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-17-2019, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Congrats! Sometimes, a new guitar inspires you to dive back in - hope this is the case for you. The RS Parlor is a nice guitar.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:45 AM
Guest 928

Maya;

Good for you! You have a nice guitar and a fresh start. I hope your bonding goes well.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:43 AM

I've had mine (a pure acoustic version) for about two weeks now, and I concur. Such a great sound that totally exceeds the size.

Any reason why you couldn't re-fret the Alvarez? That's a pretty common repair for a quality instrument.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:50 AM

Congrats on the CH-PA.

When reading the PA vs X7 thread wasn't surprised that Thomastik AC112 12-59 light medium gauge strings caused hand cramping.

Many people would be more comfortable with the AC111 11-50 lights, equiv to about 11-52 at other brands.

Maybe you will too?

Cheers.

Last edited by casualmusic; 03-17-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
Congrats on the CH-PA.

When reading the PA vs X7 thread wasn't surprised that Thomastik AC112 12-59 light medium gauge strings caused hand cramping.

Many people would be more comfortable with the AC111 11-50 lights, equiv to about 11-52 at other brands.

Maybe you will too?

Cheers.

I just read this part. Actually I have the same Thomastik on the X7 and it didn't cause the hand cramping. For me I think it's just the neck profile on the RainSong although maybe the lighter TIs would have reduced that.

As I mentioned elsewhere I don't feel that the 12-59s on the shorter scale parlors are any harder to play than the 12-53 elixirs I have on my Breedlove which does not cause me problems.

That said it may be something to consider a bit lighter. As the X7 is slightly shorter scale than the ch-pa

Congrats Maya and I hope it works well for you and you continue to enjoy. I think it is a great instrument just not for me unfortunately. And I think I may have found my carbon sweet spot in a nylon X7.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
I've had mine (a pure acoustic version) for about two weeks now, and I concur. Such a great sound that totally exceeds the size.

Any reason why you couldn't re-fret the Alvarez? That's a pretty common repair for a quality instrument.
No reason at all that I can't re-fret the Alvarez (or rather, have it done--it's not a job I feel up to at this point), and I'll probably go there eventually. It IS a nice, if not "fine", guitar.

Or I might just sell it off to someone who knows that's in their future, since refretting doesn't address the "body fit" issue at all.

Regardless of the excu... er, justif... er, reason, I'm glad to have the RainSong.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:15 PM

Congrats on the new guitar. Hopefully being carbon fiber and not spending all its time in the case will help you play more, as with most of us here.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:59 AM

Congrats on the CH-PA, I have had mine for just over a year and still love it. I actually use Elixir PB HD Light strings on mine (13-53) and really like the sound. They are a bit heavier on the trebles, lighter on the basses. These were the default strings on my Taylor 322ce 12-fret so I got used to them there. However, if you are a blues-y/bend-y type player they might not work unless you have the hand strength of SRV.

Enjoy your new guitar.

Later
Rob
Old 04-05-2019, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

great guitar, best of luck

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber