The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-18-2019, 11:35 PM

Default Used heritage 575 has a repaired neck

Hey all. I love my Heritage I got for $1000. I thought it was a steal and I really like the guitar but I had it under a good light and noticed that at some point the headstock broke and was repaired. Is this an issue? I have a luthier that can inspect it mid week and I don't think it is an issue. Should the price have been lower with a repaired neck?
Old 03-19-2019, 07:15 AM

The fact that you only noticed it under a good light suggests to me that it was professionally repaired - possibly by Heritage themselves - so although I'd still go through with the inspection I wouldn't be overly concerned with either its playability or longevity; as far as the price goes I'd consider $1K fair, but by the same token the seller should have disclosed the repair when you were negotiating the deal...
Old 03-19-2019, 08:31 AM

If its a well done repair, you're fine.

$1000 is a steal on a 575, and even with a headstock repair that's still a pretty great price...

It is a bummer the seller didn't disclose it...or maybe they didn't know either? Were they the original owner?

I still think you've got yourself a fine guitar that will likely grow on you the more you play it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-19-2019, 01:24 PM

Agree completely with what has been said by Steve and Mr. Beaumont.

I would have gladly paid $1,000 knowing that the repair had been done properly. In your case, it would have only been fair for the previous owner to give full disclosure...but as Mr. Beaumont said, maybe the repair happened prior to his owning the guitar.

A long time friend of mine happens to also be a fairly renowned luthier and repair person. I've taken many guitars to him over the past 30 plus years, for setups, fret leveling, fret replacement and various other repairs. From time to time when I visit, he'll show me vintage guitars that he has repaired or is in the process of repairing. Guitars I would have considered completely trashed can come out as good as new in the hands of a skilled craftsman.

Hoping all's well that ends well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops