The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-07-2014, 06:16 PM

Default stradivarius violins fail another blind test

In the equivalent of a blind taste test, 10 "renowned" violinists tended to prefer new violins over Stradivarius violins after playing them without being able to see them, a new study has found.

"No matter how results are tallied, it is clear that, among these players and these instruments, there is an overall preference for the new," said the study that will be published this week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...ones-1.2601191
Old 04-07-2014, 06:19 PM

Not surprised.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:37 PM

However, after treatment with a Tonerite...
Old 04-07-2014, 06:39 PM

Yup!

Yet further scientific proof of the inability of any of us to identify these nuances in a true double-blind testing scenario.

This thread is going to get interesting, methinks.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Or plucked with a Bluechip...
Old 04-07-2014, 06:43 PM

Wink

I'd want to see the set up and "Listening" chambers..... new vs a Strad?......that's a leap!
Old 04-07-2014, 06:44 PM

I don't know anything about Stradivarius violins but I just can't help but think that now matter how great they are, there are some great intruments being made these days. Lot's of great builders out there with decades of experience. Some people just naturally think anything vintage must be better. Not so in many cases. Builders have learned to build a better mousetrap.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:44 PM

Maybe they were just duds.

I like the comment below the story "Let's be realistic, the Mona Lisa is just a painting of an unattractive woman". It's true.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnvol View Post
I don't know anything about Stradivarius violins but I just can't help but think that now matter how great they are, there are some great intruments being made these days. Lot's of great builders out there with decades of experience. Some people just naturally think anything vintage must be better. Not so in many cases. Builders have learned to build a better mousetrap.
It's not just better/worse. It's that they can't even be identified/distinguished at all.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
This made me laugh big!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 04-07-2014, 06:53 PM

The new violins must be Stradivarius Authentics. ....Mike
Old 04-07-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
I'd want to see the set up and "Listening" chambers..... new vs a Strad?......that's a leap!
The soloists played each of the 12 violins during two 75-minute sessions, one in a rehearsal room and another in a concert hall. They wore welder goggles so they would not be able to identify the violins by sight.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...ones-1.2601191
Old 04-07-2014, 07:16 PM

I don't think the best instruments of any type necessarily reveal themselves right away. The one thing always missing from these tests is any reference to just how familiar with Stradavari these players actually are. If they weren't extensively familiar with the Stradavarius instruments, I wouldn't doubt their inability to hear or feel a difference.

I could put 5 average drivers behind the wheel of a Veyron, and would not be surprised if all 5 said they preferred their Chevy Impala.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:17 PM

From what I hear, violin making has been improving a great deal in recent decades, and it doesn't surprise me too much that they've been able to finally get a bit ahead of the great classic violins.

Same with guitars, I expect.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I don't think the best instruments of any type necessarily reveal themselves right away. The one thing always missing from these tests is any reference to just how familiar with Stradavari these players actually are. If they weren't extensively familiar with the Stradavarius instruments, I wouldn't doubt their inability to hear or feel a difference.

I could put 5 average drivers behind the wheel of a Veyron, and would not be surprised if all 5 said they preferred their Chevy Impala.
I doubt that's the issue. All of these guys were apparently skilled professional violin soloists ("reknowned" no less), which requires incredible skill and experience; it's a super competitive field to become a pro violin soloist. They weren't just yokels off the streets. To use your analogy, they were basically NASCAR and F1 drivers. They might not be familiar with a particular car, but they are certainly experts.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments