The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
You might also what to check out the Rogues at Musician's Friend. I have the wood bodied Triolian, and I'm pretty happy with it. It's no National, but it gets the job done and sounds pretty good to me. They make a metal bodied version in your price range. And, if you don't like it you can send it back .

I second Dave's endorsement of the Rogue. Dave's brought it over several times and it sounds great. I think he did replace the bridge. It sounds nearly as good as an all-metal body Dobro I had a few years ago and the Rogue is a fraction of the cost. Hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:34 AM

I noticed you have both a Fender and a Regal resonator. Did you find the quality to be similar?

The Fender is a biscuit single cone and the Regal is a tricone. Very different sounds from each. The tricone is louder and "brashier" if that's a word.

As far as quality, the Fender was finished better. I had to do some serious adjustments to the Regal . . . The neck and fretboard didn't align properly, there was a loose mushroom rattling around inside. Of course I did a setup and some minor fret leveling on both. But, in the end, the Regal is great.
714ce
814c (Florentine cutaway, tobacco sunburst)
Big Baby
Larrivée L-05
Gibson J-55
Gibson S.J.
Guild D-55
Seagull Grand Artist (Rosewood Parlor)
Gold Tone PBR (maple deluxe resonator)
Regal RC-51 (tri-cone)
Fender F-48 (metal body resonator)
Cort Earth 900
A&L AMI
Ariana Classical
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Harmony archtop

Les Paul Custom
Fender Strat
Old 04-08-2008, 07:57 AM

No one mentioned the Epiphone MD100. Is that worth looking at?

The specs on the website are confusing (probably on purpose) - it says the body is "chromed brass", but then the graphic says the body is steel.
Gibson ES-330
Old 04-08-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig140 View Post
I liked the the Liberty's but I think they're over my budget. Nobody has played a Michael Kelly or the Dean Chrome S?
I got Liberty's all mahogany version (one of the most expensive) on eBay for under 4 bills mint, like it was never played. The case that came with it was worth $120 on its own.
Taylor 815C, Taylor 410e, Taylor 314ce, Taylor 224ce-K DLX, Taylor 110e, Martin D-18GE, Martin D-14 Woodstock, Little Martin Felix II, Sigma DM-5, Sigma DR-41, Martin 000x1e, Washburn 314k Parlor-125th anniv, Yamaha FG730s, Liberty Mahogany resonator
Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Epiphone Sheraton II, Fender Amer. Std. SSH Strat, Ibanez SZ520
Old 04-08-2008, 01:18 PM

I believe that the Liberty metal guitars are not actually metal bodies but metal foil applied over wood.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:49 AM

hi i have a fender fr-50 resonator, which isnt metal frame, but i absolutly love it, sounds bright and i can can thrash it without losing too much quality! great guitar for under 500 dollars,
Old 05-15-2008, 10:05 PM

I have a Regal tricone RC-51 I paid just at your budget limit for, and I have been very happy with its tone and general playability (fingerstyle, no slide). The Chinese fit and finish are a little rough, but for the money...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments