The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-18-2019, 04:16 PM

Default Does Strings By Mail sell Banjo strings?

Can't find them on their site. Too bad I cant post this on the AGF, (more traffic) but it's not guitar related. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibpicker View Post
Can't find them on their site. Too bad I cant post this on the AGF, (more traffic) but it's not guitar related. Thanks.
Yes.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/banjo-strings-654/
Old 12-18-2019, 05:09 PM

Thanks Frank. Another question: I've only used GHS strings on a RK-80, and am wondering if there are other strings that might have a twangier sound? I never play it anymore because of the weight, and am wondering if there are ways to get around that other than getting a cheap practice Banjo? Dumb question, but throwing it out there anyway.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:31 PM

Changes in the head tension would be more likely to affect the degree of twang you get.

You might check out a Deering Goodtime openback, which weighs in a 4.5 lbs. They're very well regarded.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks Frank. Another question: I've only used GHS strings on a RK-80, and am wondering if there are other strings that might have a twangier sound? I never play it anymore because of the weight, and am wondering if there are ways to get around that other than getting a cheap practice Banjo? Dumb question, but throwing it out there anyway.
We absolutely have banjo strings! https://www.stringsbymail.com/banjo-strings-654/

As for a twangier sound, its hard to say exactly as every banjo may be a bit different but a higher tension would possible give a brighter/twangier sound. Also, the stainless steel banjo stings will produce a twangier sound. Such as:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/daddar...1-22-6147.html

https://www.stringsbymail.com/daddar...0-20-6148.html

If you have more questions please feel free to call or email us!
Old 12-19-2019, 09:15 PM

If I would have just clicked on common strings at the top of your page I would have seen banjo strings. Bty, the GHS thin core strings sound like a million bucks on my FS-800 Yamaha, and they are 11-46! I ordered the lights 12-52 for my dread and some banjo strings. Tell Mat thanks for the info on the thin cores! Just unbelievable!
Old 12-20-2019, 08:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
If I would have just clicked on common strings at the top of your page I would have seen banjo strings. Bty, the GHS thin core strings sound like a million bucks on my FS-800 Yamaha, and they are 11-46! I ordered the lights 12-52 for my dread and some banjo strings. Tell Mat thanks for the info on the thin cores! Just unbelievable!
Good to hear! I really like GHS strings in general. Their products all seem to sound great and are uniform in quality.

I'll let Matt know!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments